PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Gauge Misreading

m4trix
01-07-03, 07:48 PM
Hi, this is my first time posting,
basically got a problem with my fuel gauge on my Nova SR G reg, just bought at the weekend. I ran out of fuel on a well dodgey road, it was showing 1/4 tank. I filled it up. needle has gone up, but the indicator is still on. Help!!! I think I know it s the sender unit, but not sure how to replace it.

ade
01-07-03, 09:42 PM
sounds like its either the sender in the tank or the gauge itself.

If the gauge was reading 1/4 and it was empty but then you filled it up and lights still on check the wiring 1st.

Possibly the gauge (light should go out when needle goes over certain point)

Senders aint cheap(not not dead expensive either when compared to new cars parts) - gauges however you can pick up anywhere (scrappy or off ebay - theres an sr dash on there at the mo)

Has the prev owner changed the dials (eg fitted a white dial kit)? Its possible the needle aint been put back on right (hence the incorrect reading) and the new dial cover could be catching the needle slightly preventing it from falling - that would explain why the light wont go out coz the needle cant trigger it (if thats how it works)

Ade

Snowface
01-07-03, 10:42 PM
check the tank has no dents in it, a friends polo had this prob and it turned out the tank had a big dent in so it read 1/4 tank too full.

finlay
01-07-03, 10:49 PM
i can fill my nova up with 3quid :P lol tanks fucked :evil:

brian
02-07-03, 12:12 AM
i was always doubting sender units until i fitted digi clocks and for the first time the petrol guage worked.

DUNOVA.
02-07-03, 12:14 AM
Mine goe's up and down like a yo yo

dave.gsi
02-07-03, 01:22 AM
mine showed full for the best part a month, even the day i ran out lol. has now suddely sprung in to life and shows the correct reading. hope it lasts

ade
02-07-03, 10:01 AM
since changing my clocks and fitting white dials, my fuel gauge is also slightly out.

I find if you fill up to the max, reset yer mileometer and work on the basis that (based on yer model, engine and how you drive) you will know roughly how many miles you'll get on a tank.

EG - my 1.4 will do approx 330 on motorways and about 380-400 if I take it easy

When you start to get near that point (say within 50 miles) fill up again.

Quicker to replace the dash clocks - I picked up a set of SR ones off ebay for ?7.50 inc P&P! (for which I've almost completed making a white dial set for)

Ade

SKoob
02-07-03, 01:03 PM
mine works fine, just depends on the hill and the corner :lol:
scary shiat