PDA

View Full Version : Rear Discs and locking up, any info??

big_steve_x
30-06-03, 10:42 PM
i'm now upto fittin the valver finally, anyway i was wondering what my new rear discs are likely to do to me in a bend!! i've got Vectra V6 up front, should they be ok to stop the backs locking?? anyone had any experience with it!!

thanks!!!

brian
01-07-03, 01:33 AM
well i hope ya won't be braking around a bend anyway :o but i know what ya mean. is that v6 calipers too? are they much bigger than 2l 16v calipers. if they are a bit bigger i'd say you won't have rear lock up. the more fluid you get to use up front the better regardless of disc size.
i had awfull trouble with rear discs last year, locking up full time but a brake bias will sort that.
With a normal brake setup (and in normal i include 2l 16v front discs and calipers) rear drums are fine. anything more (as in, rear discs) and you might have lock up resulting in winding down the brake power in the rear back to drum power and having the discs for show!

Ben (lurk75)
01-07-03, 07:31 AM
anything more (as in, rear discs) and you might have lock up resulting in winding down the brake power in the rear back to drum power and having the discs for show!

I was going to say that exactly!

big_steve_x
01-07-03, 03:32 PM
they are v6 calipers with drilled 284mm discs, where can i buy a decent bias valve from?

CP
01-07-03, 04:35 PM
D. tweeks or any motorsport place really. Theres lots of choice.
The problem with fitting a brake bias valve on a std Nova braking set up is that you will eitherhave to fit 2 or you will have to blank one of the rear brake lines off at the master cylinder and then "T" into the other so you have a single brake line travelling to feed both the back brakes. You can then plumb your brake bias valve into this.

The other alternative that I haven't looked into but is theoretically possible is to find smaller bore brake biassing regulators that are already fitted to the std system. If you look at the master cylinder you will see that the lines feeding the 2 rear brakes have a regualtor (like a long nut) which have a number punched on them which i think indicates the size of the orifice in it. If you could find ones with a smaller orifice it would reduce the braking effort to the rear brakes?

fearless
01-07-03, 11:15 PM
Another alternative to fitting a bias valve to the rear discs is to cut the actual pad size down

Some of the rally boys actually cut grooves in the friction material - therefore having less pad contact area !!!

Ben (lurk75)
01-07-03, 11:56 PM
Another alternative to fitting a bias valve to the rear discs is to cut the actual pad size down

Some of the rally boys actually cut grooves in the friction material - therefore having less pad contact area !!!

I have seen this done before, seemed to work quite well.

brian
02-07-03, 12:01 AM
you will eitherhave to fit 2 or you will have to blank one of the rear brake lines off at the master cylinder and then "T" into the other so you have a single brake line travelling to feed both the back brakes. You can then plumb your brake bias valve into this.

thats the way i did it. and its the simplest. i block one output in the master cylinder and rain a braided line back into a "T" and out to each caliper.
I ran the line through the car with the intention of fitting and mounting a bias near the center concole but never got around to it!!