PDA

View Full Version : Will a 10in kenlowe fan be suitable to cool my XE.

Damo
01-07-11, 04:34 PM
Hi guys ive aquired what i think is either an 8 or 10in kenlowe cooling fan will this be suitble to cool my XE down in traffic?

Also im going to be mounting it on the other side of the rad just behind the bumper will a need the fan pushing or sucking?

Damo.

honie5
01-07-11, 05:06 PM
Ive used a standard 1.2 fan not much room but works a treat and has been spot on in traffic like today so I'm sure it will be fine just make sure there's plenty of air getting to it! And if your having it on the front will need to be pushing the air through the rad instead of sucking the air through when it's on the back!

Damo
01-07-11, 05:19 PM
So once ive mounted it on the front of the rad the fan needs to be pushing the cool air into the engine bay not away from it.

honie5
01-07-11, 07:15 PM
Yer needs to be pushing air through the rad into the bay!

japsportscarmad
01-07-11, 07:21 PM
They do 3 types with varying degrees of power I have mid range 10 inch works fine but have 3 core allot rad so this helps.

Nova_Tek
01-07-11, 08:44 PM
As said fella, even standard fans work ok so a quality fan should be fine. If the fan is one the front then it needs to be pushing. If it's sucking then it'll work harder to ventilate. Think of it this way, if you drive with it on air will try flow through the rad and the fan is trying to suck it back out. Standard fans that are located in the bay suck air as the flow of air from the grille will naturally flow the same way.

blue_peg_16v
03-07-11, 09:36 AM
I have one of the chinese copy's of eBay on the let mounted same as your planning Damo and pushing and never had a problem works great

Damo
03-07-11, 05:55 PM
That sounmd that rich thanks mate.

+ rep.

comptoncj
03-07-11, 06:00 PM
I used one on my corsa xe and it worked great, I need to get one for my gsi

Damo
03-07-11, 07:22 PM
Cheers chris.

C612DNM
04-07-11, 05:17 PM
Now listen here.

Putting the fan IN FRONT is not such a good idea. You are blocking off the air flow which is what cools the engine when you're mullering it about.
Put the fan BEHIND the rad and set it for SUCK to draw cool air through the rad.

I used to have twin 10" fans in front of the rad on the Belmont, and it screwed up the air flow through it big time. I now have a single 10" fan behind it, and it copes quite happily, and that ain't no little 4-pot diddly engine, it's a proper V8.

Nova_Tek
04-07-11, 07:31 PM
If you have room ;)

C612DNM
09-07-11, 05:46 PM
There's room between the gearbox and the rad - or should be unless you've cluttered with a windmill in a tin can!!!