PDA

View Full Version : Police = Useless.

MK1_Ben
30-06-11, 10:35 AM
In short really.

A couple days ago I passed a transit parked in a layby on a backlane (the guy was on the phone) at around 40mph. Next thing I know he's flying up behind me, all I can assume is it's some boy racer type trying to "race" me as I'm in a lowered Nova with an aftermarket exhaust.

I thought nothing of him and continued at around 40mph, until he proceded to tailgate me with around a metres distance, I then decided to speed up to prevent him driving into the back of me. Doing about 70 I easily pulled away from him and a mile up the road slowed down to my previous speed as I expected he would have given up, then on the next corner he comes flying up behind me, tailgates me so close I can't even see his numberplate whilst flashing his lights and blaring his horn, at this point I took my camera out the glovebox and filmed it. He backed off as it appeared he saw my camera, then on the next corner he drove straight into the back of me (fortunately no damage to the car), then was trying to rub my rear bumper (all of this on film).

He followed me all through various back lanes until I eventually got to the track to my house, where he jumped out and started running after my car but quickly gave up.

I reported it shortly after to the police, and they requested a copy of the video for evidence. The officer I spoke to informed me that the driver has had several reports recently of dangerous driving and they will keep me updated on the situation.

They just phoned me this morning, informing me that they can't prosecute him or take it any further as there wasn't enough evidence to make a prosecution (when there's a video...).

Very dissapointed with the Police really, needless to say several of my friends are going to have a "word" with the idiot in the van though as the Police can't seem to do their job.

TeddyThom
30-06-11, 10:41 AM
Don't half get some idiots...
Then you have to deal with that prick in the van...

Connor
30-06-11, 10:48 AM
Wow, what kind of evidence they after a feature film about the event lol??, bloke sounds like a right tool, dont think i would of been so calm in your situation!

mowgli
30-06-11, 10:49 AM
1. your evidence from the camera might not have been good enough to identify the driver..
2. maybe he was trying to stop you for some emergency reason
3. maybe you should have got the hell out of there asap & headed for a built up area for witnesses.
4. if your car isn't damaged, just forget it... but be careful next time you see the same van..

MK1_Ben
30-06-11, 11:01 AM
1. your evidence from the camera might not have been good enough to identify the driver..
2. maybe he was trying to stop you for some emergency reason
3. maybe you should have got the hell out of there asap & headed for a built up area for witnesses.
4. if your car isn't damaged, just forget it... but be careful next time you see the same van..

The car's registered in his name and it was visibly him driving, this is why the officer mentioned he has been reported several times.

The officer also advised I should have tried to get to a built up area too, problem with that is that my house is about 10 miles from the nearest built up area (I live up on Exmoor national park).

mowgli
30-06-11, 11:13 AM
get the vid hosted then.... then tell the local press where it is...& point out that the local old bill aren't interested..

MK1_Ben
30-06-11, 11:38 AM
get the vid hosted then.... then tell the local press where it is...& point out that the local old bill aren't interested..

Good idea :)

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to mowgli again.

Rich654
30-06-11, 11:39 AM
Really annoy's me this does. where as if had been you tailgating someone and actually running into the back of someone they would be banging on your door for an arrest. as said get the video hosted and bang it up on every forum you're registered on aswell as people you know. Alert the press as the Police have blatently refused to press charges against a dangerous driver when the evidence is right in front of them.

Mazz
30-06-11, 11:48 AM
Video ?

mowgli
30-06-11, 11:49 AM
its what people had before clever phones....

Rich654
30-06-11, 11:51 AM
Upload it to a video host bang it on here I'll gladly spread it around a little tbh.

24sevenslacker
30-06-11, 11:59 AM
my mam is a PCSO, (Plastic copper) and she was telling me the other day that she caught a junkie shoplifting, so she had him arrested only to be told off by her sergeant because the value of the items was less the £15, so does this mean that i can go around every shop stealing less than £15 worth of stuff and not get into trouble, they are truly useless

mowgli
30-06-11, 12:06 PM
its the way of the world, and stuff costs money.. under labour, the police budget was astonomical, and people have to make a decision on whether something is worth the £1k or so it will cost to process & get as far as the magistrates court.. before the lawyers get involved...

wwmnw
30-06-11, 12:07 PM
my mam is a PCSO, (Plastic copper) and she was telling me the other day that she caught a junkie shoplifting, so she had him arrested only to be told off by her sergeant because the value of the items was less the £15, so does this mean that i can go around every shop stealing less than £15 worth of stuff and not get into trouble, they are truly useless

Most of the big shops wont bother calling the police or try claiming the money back if its under a certain amount (I'd imagine each company varies) but if the security guards see you and catch you, you may get a slap.

Upload this video Ben!

Stuart
30-06-11, 12:08 PM
How were you holding the video camera?

If you were technically 'dangerous driving' to film this chap then his defence solicitors can throw the evidence out and try to get you on the stand for a DD :(

Rich654
30-06-11, 12:16 PM
Clip it on to the rear veiw mirror?

nova_saloon
30-06-11, 12:29 PM
i want to see the video for sure, i want to see why he started to run at you and why he followed you? what was he getting out of that? what was he going to do! you didnt do anything just speed off. well and film him, but i would of. but get up the video asap!

MK1_Ben
30-06-11, 12:30 PM
How were you holding the video camera?

If you were technically 'dangerous driving' to film this chap then his defence solicitors can throw the evidence out and try to get you on the stand for a DD :(

The officer I spoke to said that it was the "lesser of two evils" and that although it would be possible to try and turn it on it's head and the other driver do me for DD, it wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court. Much the same as you can dial 999 emergency whilst driving.

Once my camera's*memory card's back from the Police I will upload the video (as mentioned previously, it's down as evidence).

Rich654
30-06-11, 12:35 PM
The officer I spoke to said that it was the "lesser of two evils" and that although it would be possible to try and turn it on it's head and the other driver do me for DD, it wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court. Much the same as you can dial 999 emergency whilst driving.

Once my camera's back from the Police I will upload the video (as mentioned previously, it's down as evidence).

They took the entire camera? :O

MK1_Ben
30-06-11, 12:42 PM
They took the entire camera? :O

*memory card.

mowgli
30-06-11, 12:43 PM
i hope you copied it..... just in case this bloke is a freemason or similar....

MK1_Ben
30-06-11, 12:45 PM
i hope you copied it..... just in case this bloke is a freemason or similar....

I've got 20 seconds or so of it on my iPhone? no other backup though.

mowgli
30-06-11, 12:46 PM
if he is local, and roughly knowing where you live, its not going to be long before you cross paths again..just be careful

Balley
30-06-11, 12:47 PM
I hate idiots like this!

MK1_Ben
30-06-11, 12:49 PM
if he is local, and roughly knowing where you live, its not going to be long before you cross paths again..just be careful

I've seen it a few mornings, I think he works at the local tyre place.

I personally think the Police are being backwards about it anyway as he's known to them well, I'm fortunately not "known" as a bad driver etc to them but I'm a 19 year old lad who drives a Nova; isn't too beneficial to my case.

Stuart
30-06-11, 12:55 PM
Chances are if hes known to them, they want to get him on a better charge than 'being a dick on the road'... but will use this as extra evidence that hes a deviant.

mowgli
30-06-11, 12:57 PM
maybe he was trying to buy it from you, or even sell you some wheels... if you can find out for definite where he works, you could call in there & ask him politely what was going on.. it could have been something innocent that you both misunderstood & might be sortable in a few minutes of chat.

MK1_Ben
30-06-11, 01:00 PM
maybe he was trying to buy it from you, or even sell you some wheels... if you can find out for definite where he works, you could call in there & ask him politely what was going on.. it could have been something innocent that you both misunderstood & might be sortable in a few minutes of chat.

The town he's from is a ****hole, I like having my front teeth :(

wwmnw
30-06-11, 01:02 PM

If I wanted to sell or buy something from someone I wouldn't be rubbing bumpers along back roads and go into the back of them on corners.

Rich654
30-06-11, 01:13 PM
He sound's like a muppet who needs locking up.. he could end up ramming someone off the road and possibly cause Death.. Or are the Police actually going to wait until that actually happens?

MK1_Ben
30-06-11, 01:16 PM
He sound's like a muppet who needs locking up.. he could end up ramming someone off the road and possibly cause Death.. Or are the Police actually going to wait until that actually happens?

According to my mother, one of her friends has had a similar experience with the same driver in the same van...

phazer
30-06-11, 01:28 PM
Firstly, going and seeing the bloke is a bad idea. You could be seen as the agressor and as you say it will inevitably turn nasty.

As for the memory card. Never ever ever ever give the Police digital evidence without first making a back-up. I hope not but I wouldn't be surprised if the card went missing or at the very least was formatted before being given back to you.

FWIW I've never understood the 'don't bother with the minor stuff' attitude, its tantamount to saying it's ok, so the minor offence behaviour you used to get becomes the norm and the new level of 'nuisance' behaviour is a whole load nastier and so on ad infinitum. The more petty crime that is allowed to continue the more expensive it becomes to Police thereby destroying the cost reduction argument that agencies like the Police start with. Meh.

Jack
30-06-11, 02:01 PM
FWIW I've never understood the 'don't bother with the minor stuff' attitude, its tantamount to saying it's ok, so the minor offence behaviour you used to get becomes the norm and the new level of 'nuisance' behaviour is a whole load nastier and so on ad infinitum. The more petty crime that is allowed to continue the more expensive it becomes to Police thereby destroying the cost reduction argument that agencies like the Police start with. Meh.
Agreed - even if they don't act on it, reporting of petty crime balls up police stats for the year which makes them look crap to the ministers (or councillors, I forget who allocates funds lol) who pay their wages lol

Pete
30-06-11, 04:12 PM
On the note of the shop lifting, I work at the Co-Op and after about 2 weeks of startin I saw a bloke dropping in meat into a tesco carrier bag, anyway I kinda followed him around the store and when he left i followed him out and he ran, anyway I managed to catch him up and held him until another collegue came,

Well what a waste of time it was… I was told to let him go as the meat was not over the value of £30, so it was pointless reporting, since then the bloke continues to do it, but it's not worth the hassle of chasing him anymore lol

mowgli
30-06-11, 04:17 PM
WOW. the local coey in our end of hinckley got held up for less than a grand, and the evening lad got roughed up a bit, and they were all over the place with security men for weeks.... tbh, the women who work in there could probably kick the crap out of you plenty well enough.... they sorted out some lads who were trying to nick pop from the open fridge by the door.....

Curtoise
30-06-11, 07:18 PM
that's sounds sooooo frustrating, thing is if its a white van and driving like a **** then it could well be a "traveler" if that is the case i wouldn't get involved and would explain why the police don't.
i have had a few run ins with idiots in vans but they cant catch a nova round back roads, i hope you get the vid back and some justice can be served.