PDA

View Full Version : nova anti roll bars

jonn
29-06-11, 03:22 PM
i use my nova for autocross, off road racing and i want it to corner better. it understeers alot when i have to turn. would a front and rear anti roll bar make a difference? or what else could i try? i all ready have full adjustable coilovers.

garyc
29-06-11, 03:34 PM
rear anti roll bar. what lb springs are you running?

jonn
29-06-11, 04:53 PM
The rear springs are 160lb and the front are around 180-200lb

garyc
29-06-11, 05:01 PM
have you tried anything so far?

jonn
29-06-11, 06:08 PM
no not yet, i might get a rear anti roll bar first and try that

garyc
29-06-11, 06:25 PM
yeah, and take front one off. Higher pressures in the rear, lower in the front.

mowgli
29-06-11, 06:26 PM
is this the mid engined one or the fwd one you are on about??

if you have a fwd car that is oversteering massively, ie. the back end stepping out, i'd suspect that something is bent on the rear end, as a nova normally understeers, especially on loose surfaces.

jonn
29-06-11, 07:09 PM
its the fwd nova, i ment to type it understeers, i will edit the original post. everything looks straight anyway.

mowgli
29-06-11, 07:57 PM
ah. if you are doing a form of grass track, massive suspension travel on skinny tyres is the key to grip.. maybe setting up some brake bias to get the back end to come round to drift it a bit is the way to go.
do you have the figures from the gm build manual for setup, as they were playing with the toe on the rear end to help with cornering. i can send a pdf of it if you wish, just pm your email addy.

jonn
29-06-11, 08:03 PM
a brake bias sounds like a good idea, it would be great if you could send me that pdf, i will pm you my email addy now.

nova_saloon
29-06-11, 11:53 PM
i have heard about taking the front ARB off makes a god difference. but some would disagree. have to test it out

mowgli
30-06-11, 09:51 AM
people, this car is competing in a form of grass tracking... the handling it needs is the exact opposite of road car handling... it needs wheel to ground contact & soft springs to have a hope.. too stiff & it wil understeer all day.

simonm
30-06-11, 09:59 AM
i agree with mowgli keeping the wheels on the ground is the way forward used to do a bit of grass tracking and the biggest problem is stopping the inside wheel spinning if your suspension is too hard itll just keep liftin the inside wheel depending on what engine and power ya have a limo would help massively

C612DNM
04-07-11, 06:56 PM
Of all of the NASA Autograss Nova's I've ever seen, they run no anti-rollbars, long travel soft suspension setups. Totally soggy by road or rally ideas of soft!
As Simonm and Mowgli state, the aim is to get maximum tyre to surface contact, anti-roll-bars don't help that on uneven surfaces, they restrict suspension travel, which is ideal for level surfaces.