PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump options for XE

Lewis.
28-06-11, 05:35 PM
I'm just considering my fuel pump options for the XE. I've got a carb engine, so have a mechanical pump on the engine, and a return line. can I stick an MPI pump in the carb tank, replace the lines with high pressure ones and use that? or do i need to buy an MPI tank and pump?

what other options do I have? aftermarket external pump, facet etc?

MK999
28-06-11, 05:38 PM
You need another tank really unless you get an aftermarket pump and a swirl pot.

Lee H
28-06-11, 05:43 PM
Fit the correct MPI tank and pump or you will more than likely kill your engine if you let the fuel level get to low and go round a corner fast due to the lack of swirl pot in the carb tank.

Lewis.
28-06-11, 05:44 PM
what would be most cost effective do you reckon? i've not seen an MPI tank or pump for sale anywhere, and that would require a road trip to fetch. would a pump and swirl pot fit in the spare wheel well do you think?

*edit* just ebay'd swirl pots and they all seem rather tall to fit in the wheel well, so that rules that out.

MPI tank and pump it is then?

mowgli
28-06-11, 05:47 PM
most cost effective is getting an spi tank & find a daewoo mpi pump from the scrapper...there are a fair few tanks sold as mpi that are just 2 pipe carb ones....i regularly annoy ebay sellers on that point.

honie5
28-06-11, 05:47 PM
I had a pump in the tank for a 1.2 engine which didn't give enough fuel pressure so got rid of that so fitted an external pump near the tank and run a line from it into the tank with a filter at the bottom to weigh it down cable tied the line to the return pipe so didn't go anywhere! Used a aftermarket 2.0 fuel pump and works a treat! I think you need about 2.8 of pressure so see if you pump in the tank will get that first!

Lewis.
28-06-11, 05:51 PM
I dont have any pump in my tank atm honie, i've got a mechanical one driven by the cam shaft. i'll have a butchers at your pump next time i see you :thumb:

does anyone know if my carb tank will have a hole to fit an MPI pump?

Lee H
28-06-11, 05:53 PM
I dont have any pump in my tank atm honie, i've got a mechanical one driven by the cam shaft. i'll have a butchers at your pump next time i see you :thumb:

does anyone know if my carb tank will have a hole to fit an MPI pump?

Definitely not.

honie5
28-06-11, 05:54 PM
Ohh I see well that will be abit more of a ball ache then lol yer no worries I'm coming Sunday to billing anyway lad!

Lewis.
28-06-11, 05:56 PM
Definitely not.

that clears that up then :) i've already got a big hole/grommit in the floor though, which makes fitting the MPI tank/pump nice and easy :)

Ohh I see well that will be abit more of a ball ache then lol yer no worries I'm coming Sunday to billing anyway lad!

ah spot on :) are we convoying up for billing then? theres gonna be Me, Dan, You, and Cookie I think

Lewis.
28-06-11, 05:58 PM
most cost effective is getting an spi tank & find a daewoo mpi pump from the scrapper...there are a fair few tanks sold as mpi that are just 2 pipe carb ones....i regularly annoy ebay sellers on that point.

I shall also look into this. although i havn't seen a nova in a scrappy for years :(

Balley
28-06-11, 07:35 PM
spi tank was in clarkes lewis, not sure if its still there..

Lewis.
28-06-11, 08:24 PM
hmmm i'll investigate this week! and an MPI pump will fit in the SPI tank, yes?

mowgli
28-06-11, 08:28 PM
so i'm told..

Balley
28-06-11, 09:00 PM
I heard a mk3 astra mpi pump fits, ask alexw

mowgli
28-06-11, 09:04 PM
daewoo ones are cheaper;)

Damo
28-06-11, 09:04 PM
Yes a mpi pump fits its a little tighter than the spi one mind.

Dar
28-06-11, 09:23 PM
Fit the correct MPI tank and pump or you will more than likely kill your engine if you let the fuel level get to low and go round a corner fast due to the lack of swirl pot in the carb tank.
No chance of killing your engine, all that happens is that you lose power due to not having enough/any fuel.

My car used to have an external pump sat off of a normal tank (no internal swirlpot gubbins) with a feed and return. I only got fuel starvation when the tank was about 1/4 full and I was cornering really hard. So for a road car I reckon a single pump either internal or external would be fine.

If however this was going to be used seriously on track, I would consider a swirlpot because it's ruddy annoying losing power when your exiting a bend. However the swirlpot route is alot more expensive.

Lee H
28-06-11, 09:30 PM
I lost a headgasket when I ran a carb tank with an XE and it got low on fuel. Went round a fast, sweeping bend and lost all power. Removed the head and gasket had burnt completely through between two cylinders.

honie5
28-06-11, 09:54 PM
Yer a mk3 astra one fits dan I was going to use one if mine was rubbish! And Lewis there is one nova at windleys in Tattershall I dno wether it will still be there only problem they drill a hole in the petrol tank to drain them! Surely some on eBay?

Dar
28-06-11, 09:55 PM
Lee - Sounds like you may have had other problems as well i.e. engine running lean and very hot.
However a good point to come out of this is that if you are going to be putting a car on track, it's always good to run them a little rich.

Lewis.
28-06-11, 10:35 PM
cheers guys, i'm always wary about scrap yard fuel tanks honie, as it will almost certainly have a hole in it lol i'll trawl ebay and try and find a suitable tank.

Dar, its only a road car, and it will never get any serious hammer, so it may be fine, but i reckon an internal pump/swirl pot gubbins is the easiest route :thumb: ta