PDA

View Full Version : c14se help please

swedge
28-06-11, 04:54 PM
right since i have a few threads all over the place ill put it all into this one

what happens is my car will only run on 3 cylinders at times

i swapped the plugs and leads around and the fauly stayed with cylinder 1

i took my injectors to work and and put them through the ultrasonic cleaner

put them back in and it ran fine for 5 mins

left it a few days and then started it and it ran fine for 5 mins then went to 3 cylinders but this time it was cylinder 3. took the plug out and it was black which to me is overfueling or not sparking

bought new plugs and it started fine, drove up the road to a mates went back out and it was on 3 again :mad:

i done a resistance test on the injectors and they are all at 14 which haynes says is a pass, i also tested the coilpack on the resistance setting matching 1-4 and 3-2 and they both had the exact same reading

i had my mum turn it over while i had my multimeter on the injector plugs and they all get voltage when cranking

any ideas is im running out, im getting another injector from colin hopefully to swap with the one in cylinder 3 atm

phazer
28-06-11, 07:18 PM
Fault with the MAP sensor can make it seem like a misfire.

swedge
28-06-11, 07:21 PM
It's definitely not running on the cylinder though as I pull the lead off and nothing changes on cylinder 3 and other lead kills the engine

phazer
28-06-11, 10:30 PM
You need to see if the spark is firing, get a tester or drop the plug and lead onto the head and then start the car. If no spark then coil pack replacement first, ECU second.

DO NOT touch the lead while the engine is running if you do test it using the cheap method (don't wish to teach your Grandma etc etc but dispack current can kill).

swedge
29-06-11, 06:23 AM
Right, got the car back from work started fine then 30 secs later it went to 3 cylinders

Parked up turned the engine off and started it again after a few seconds and it ran fine? Didn't drive it anywhere though so dont know how long it would stay on full power lol

Colin is having a look to see if he has a coilpack for me to as well as an injector

I'll swap the coilpack forst and see if it works, hopefully he has 1

swedge
01-07-11, 04:14 PM
right so today i fitted another coilpack, started fine drove about a bit then done the same again

i thought the plug would be ****ed with not firing so changed it and it still sorta does it just not as bad :(

swedge
01-07-11, 04:49 PM
how does a coilpack earth itself? through the cam box?

phazer
01-07-11, 05:00 PM
No, the metal plate on the back is a heat sink. Pin two is earth.

swedge
01-07-11, 05:01 PM
thier goes that idea :(

phazer
01-07-11, 05:20 PM
IIRC correctly there are few grounds on the C14 loom. There are a number crimped together to one large brown cable (all the earths are brown) with a ring connector on it. Think there is one on the block/head, one on the bulkhead and don't forget the gearbox braid.

Check and clean them all, if you've had to drill holes make sure the paint is scratched off and contact is good etc. Check the battery clamps and the starter connections. Do you have the earth cable on the alternator?

Riggy
01-07-11, 05:44 PM
totally random , but my xe had the very same probleam at nats last year, turned out that the earth on the rear pannel had snapped ,

they dont have to be in the engine bay to cause probleams lol

swedge
01-07-11, 08:35 PM
I'm at work atm but from what I remember there's 3 earths by the inlet on the left one on the right side Inlet by the coilpack, 1 on the gearbox and one from the lights on the passenger side

The battery has a new earth cable and connector same with the gearbox and alternator

Riggy
02-07-11, 10:57 AM
Just Check the one in the boot just to be on the safe side , that's what mine was lol

swedge
02-07-11, 04:26 PM
boot earth is fine

swedge
03-07-11, 11:55 AM
Fitted the injector that I got from colin and everythings fine so far, fingers crossed

Wazza024
03-07-11, 04:39 PM
Hope it still carrys on working but another thing to bare in mind if what everyone else has said is fine is cranksensor if yours has it as mine did. I had a very similar problem on a friends corsa b kept missfiring when it wanted to and turned out to be cranksensor and changed that and didnt get a problem again

swedge
03-07-11, 08:05 PM
yeah ive had crank sensor problems on my old corsa, thing is though shouldnt my eml light come on? its wired up as it comes on with the dash then goes off

Wazza024
03-07-11, 11:21 PM
Well the corsa i done the engine management light didnt come on but they should really