PDA

View Full Version : Vauxhall Vivaro Problem…

Pete
26-06-11, 10:24 PM
My mums new partner has a vivaro,
The other week he tryed switching the ignition off and the engine carried on running, so obviously it was running off the oil, meaning if I'm correct in saying a Seal has gone? But I don't know which as I'm not too familiar with the vans.

He stalled the engine soon as it started running off the oil so hopefully it shouldn't have done any major damage.

Can anyone shed any light on if we can get it back running or if the engine has now had it?

mowgli
26-06-11, 10:26 PM
maybe the shut off relay is knackered...... when an engine runs off its own oil, it revs to oblivion in a cloud of smoke..

Lewis.
26-06-11, 10:29 PM
did it rev up like mad? or just carry on ticking over?

if it just carried on ticking over, then its ECU related, I had this same problem at work after I fitted an injection pump to one. cant quite remember what I did to sort it now though, wasn't anything major though

Graeme
26-06-11, 10:29 PM
I've had this twice one engine was fine the other was dead, its the turbo seals iirc

Pete
26-06-11, 10:31 PM
Yeah Mowgli there apparently was alot of smoke.
I've tryed doing some research but no real solutions out there, only similar questions to what I'm asking...

Pete
26-06-11, 10:32 PM
Lewis is just revved up like mad, it's his work van so hopin it can be an easy solution.

Lewis.
26-06-11, 10:36 PM
ah right if it revved up then ignore what I said above lol
its either going to be turbo seals allowing oil into the inlet, or the rings are shagged and its breathing really heavilly and its getting the oil in that way. in my experiance of these Trafic's though (and I work of fooking loads) its usually the turbo seals

once you have replaced the turbo, remember to clean out the intercooler. some cnut we had working for us last year changed a turbo on one, and didn't wash out the intercooler and pipework, so he got 100 yards down the road from the workshop and it picked up on the oil in the cooler again lol took him ages to stall it from 8000rpm + lol

wwmnw
27-06-11, 12:07 AM
took him ages to stall it from 8000rpm + lol

lollollollol

GRUNT 16V
28-06-11, 10:34 AM
HOW about it being french meaning it will never be right lol

AlexW
28-06-11, 06:37 PM
ah right if it revved up then ignore what I said above lol
its either going to be turbo seals allowing oil into the inlet, or the rings are shagged and its breathing really heavilly and its getting the oil in that way. in my experiance of these Trafic's though (and I work of fooking loads) its usually the turbo seals

once you have replaced the turbo, remember to clean out the intercooler. some cnut we had working for us last year changed a turbo on one, and didn't wash out the intercooler and pipework, so he got 100 yards down the road from the workshop and it picked up on the oil in the cooler again lol took him ages to stall it from 8000rpm + lol

Agreed with this man, Turbo, How many miles it done?

Give it 5mins, Gearbox will die next.

Spudly
28-06-11, 06:46 PM
As said above, turbo seals, quite a common one on these as theyre all renault based and the trafic's and megane II's are common as muck to do this, when we do them at work we replace the IC and pipework, only way can guarantee the work to Renault Standards:thumb: