PDA

View Full Version : My nova is cursed!

honie5
26-06-11, 09:52 PM
So every time I take my nova out it seems to rain bar today which was nice but as it didn't rain for once it decided to kick me in the sack in a bigger way and stop working! I drove it to my misses mum and dads with no problems no lack of power etc but went out to move it later and it just wouldn't start! It's got spark as there brand new plugs it started a couple of times revved to about 2000 then just died so I checked the fuel and there is no pressure on the rail so checked if there was any blockages at different parts of the fuel line and there was no fuel coming through at all! My pump wines a good one when I turn it on and there was no whine what so ever so I'm guessing my pump is buggered? Would I be right? Just wanted to check before I go and buy one tomorrow!

Lewis.
26-06-11, 09:55 PM
try powering the pump directly, with a short pipe off it and see what it does. for most people, fuel pump relay's are considered as being consumable so worth checking that before shelling out on a pump mate

mowgli
26-06-11, 09:57 PM
wiggle the relay in its connector...

honie5
26-06-11, 09:59 PM
It's an external one so tried removing the line just after the pump to see if there was any fuel being pumped and there wasn't so it all points to the pumps I'm going to go up tomorrow an remove it totally and wire it to a battery and see if it works if not will have to dig deep so I can get it to billing!

honie5
26-06-11, 10:00 PM
I'll try that tomorrow aswell mowgli I did push it in to make sure it was connected!

Lewis.
26-06-11, 10:01 PM
yeah but does the pump run? if not then check the fuel pump relay, or replace with a spare as they are far more prone to failure than pumps.

if it does run, but not at full speed, still check the relay lol thats what i'd put my money on

honie5
26-06-11, 10:06 PM
Right ok come to think of it it may of got wet from the rain the other night! I'll check the relay tomorrow! It ran a couple of times for like a couple of seconds then Bogged out! Then tried again and it just turns over but doesn't start up!

Balley
26-06-11, 10:10 PM
Do you want me to come over and work my Diagnostic Technician skills on it?

honie5
26-06-11, 10:15 PM
I might need it pal lol misses old man isn't working tomorrow so might get him to have a quick look if not I'll give you a shout coz it's bracebridge heath so not far from you! Bloody thing does my swede in!

simonm
26-06-11, 10:18 PM
If you bridge the thick red and the thick red blue your pump should run if not run a live to your pump under the car see if it runs and check it's earthed good to my gte used to do it some times with bad earth

honie5
26-06-11, 10:26 PM
Cheers simon hopefully will be a simple fix will check what everyones said tomorrow!

simonm
26-06-11, 10:31 PM
Also there's a small red blue iirc on the corner if you bridge that one to it will send power to the rail to and will run but check the pump wiring first

honie5
28-06-11, 10:08 AM
So did abit of digging around and found the rain from the other night at the meet had buggered my pump relay so will order a new one today ready for billing! Here's a pic of the broken one!

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x412/honie5/23a9bd7d.jpg

Lewis.
28-06-11, 10:26 AM
nice. at least its an easy fix :) order 2 and keep one in the glove box for next time it eats itself lol

honie5
28-06-11, 03:28 PM
Haha I know Lewis need to figure out something so it doesn't get wet anymore in there!

simonm
28-06-11, 04:00 PM
Just make sure it's not up side down should be ok and maybe a little spray of ignition sealer spray would help to

Lewis.
28-06-11, 04:37 PM
try locating the relay in the bay, thats where it was on my old astra and i never had any problems, as it's far dryer than the scuttle panel. or as simon said, lather it in silicone spray, and attatch it to the firewall so its out of the puddle

honie5
28-06-11, 05:40 PM
Yer going to try move it to firewall or in the bay and like you say silicone it! Going to try do something like a bit of plastic at an angle so water slides down straight to the hole where the water escapes! I'll try have a eureka moment tomorrow lol

Lewis.
28-06-11, 05:42 PM
good idea mate :) i've got another 3 weeks off with my hand, to be bored, so if you want a hand with owt just ask :thumb:

honie5
28-06-11, 05:56 PM
Right oh mate I'll give you a shout if need any help!