PDA

View Full Version : mk2 1.2 spi wont start, used to...

pingu-turbo
26-06-11, 10:07 AM
Hi there everyone, I have a '92 mk2 1.2 spi hatch. I bought this car many years ago as a MOT failiour, requiring a front panel. Since then I have done the work and mothballed it. The last time I had it running was about 3 years ago, and it ran fine. I have lost my storeage space and needed to move it the other day. I chucked some fuel in it, previously had very little in, and put a new battery on. Turns over, everything works apart from the engine starting. :(

I dont plan on keeping it as a 1.2, so I dont want to spend very much money on it, its just an engine would be nice to move it around, rather than push...

Can anyone help me with some pointers as to where to start looking?

Royston
26-06-11, 12:10 PM
0 post count?

Back to basics

Is there petrol?
If you turn the ignition on can you hear the fuel pump priming the circuit?
Is there petrol in the system, is there a shrader connector to see if system is pressurised?

Are the spark plugs wet?

Is there Sparks?

pingu-turbo
26-06-11, 08:01 PM
Hi Royston, Thanks for the quick reply & pointers will get to it asap.

You mension the fuel pump priming, I have never heard the fuel pump priming before, I am comparing it to my gte though.

Is there petrol in the system, is there a shrader connector to see if system is pressurised?

Whats a shrader connector? :confused:

TonySR
26-06-11, 09:38 PM
I dont think there is a shrader on a spi as they dont have a fuel rail...

Remove the air filter and get someone to see if there is fuel spraying from the injector whilst you turn it over? If not its either the fuel pump or lines blocked from old fuel, or the pump relay is dead.

autograss_racer
26-06-11, 09:44 PM
BRADEX! Spray some of that down the air filter whilst cranking. If it doesnt start (or kinda fire a few times), no spark. If it does, something to do with fuel/air mix not being present when spark goes off. (P.S Watch for back fire, that stuff is hella-flammable!)

pingu-turbo
28-06-11, 12:52 AM
Many thanks for your replies. I had a crack at it this evening, bought some 'easy start' stuff, and started from the beginning.

Removed all plugs, cleaned and put back. No signs of moisture.

Checked all HT leads, and removed and cleaned distributor cap and rotor arm.

Removed air filer, sparyed some easy start, and hey presto, it started, breifly.

Fueling problem then.

Listened for the pump relay on the scuttle, clicking as it should.

Moved rear seats out of the way, and checked voltages at multiplug, 12v when priming.

Pump not operating, removed from fuel tank and connected directly to a 12v battery. I could feel the pump trying to turn so i helped the impeller to turn with a thin screwdriver and it started working. I then ran some fresh fuel through it into a tray and you should have seen the crap that came out of it at first!

Re assembled and let it warm up etc. The whole job took about 30-45 mins from start to finish.

So anyway, problem solved and it starts first time. :-)

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated. :)

Connor
28-06-11, 02:31 AM
Lovely ol' job

TonySR
28-06-11, 09:08 AM
Whats a shrader connector? :confused:

Most MPI engine's have them. Its a valve on the fuel rail that is used to test your fuel pressure, see pic...

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm45/martyboi83/corsa/nitrous/plumbing/fuel%20plumbing/100_2053.jpg