PDA

View Full Version : twin 40s alternator problem

Gazza14SR
29-06-03, 02:51 PM
iv just fitted some twin 40s to my 1.4 nova. iv used the alternator bracket which was supplied in the kit but the belt is rubbing on the botton bracket. can somebody help ????????????/

Snowface
29-06-03, 04:34 PM
off topic slightly.....

Where did you get ur kit from and how much?

Jules
29-06-03, 05:26 PM
iv just fitted some twin 40s to my 1.4 nova. iv used the alternator bracket which was supplied in the kit but the belt is rubbing on the botton bracket. can somebody help ????????????/

I suspect that the kit was supplied without the essential extended alternator slider arm, the standard arm the the alternator slides up and down on (When you adjust it) isn't long enough to allow the alternator to move away enough so the Nova 'Sport' had a extended slider bracket fitted instead of the normal short(er) one, don't think these are avaliable anymore so your best bet might be to take yours off, go to a scrapyard and get another standard one from a Nova, take it to someone who can weld, get the 'bolt hole' end chopped off the scrapyard one and the other end chopped off the one that was on the car and try to weld them together - almost like a cut 'n shut alternator slider bracket.

N.B This is just a suggestion, if it all goes wrong then don't blame me!!

P.S Bet you got your kit from PMC, they don't supply all the parts you need either (And their T40 inlet manifolds are of shocking quality!!!)
:o

Gazza14SR
29-06-03, 05:31 PM
I bought the kit second hand and it came with bottom and top (extended) brackets, do i need to move the alternator to the top of the top bracket? I tried this earlier but the k&n gets in the way.

The kit is ecellent apart from this little problem i'm having, excellent manifold to.

Aragorn
29-06-03, 06:55 PM
the top bracket on sport was a big block (1,8 or 2,0) alternator bracket

u do however need a shorter alternator belt for the 40's on the nova otherwise u cant get enough adjustment if i remember correctly

mikeoxford
29-06-03, 11:13 PM
what engine are they on?

reason is this...........

had my t40s on a 1.4 SR NO problems...........

BUT

when i came to put it on a 1.6 engine i found the bottom pulley on my engine was bigger.

now because of this i needed a longer alternator belt. and the ONLY belt that is made. the right size, is a goodyear one. and it is JUST the right size - the alternaotr, if you see what i mean, is pulled all the way forwards on the bracket, so much so there is a couple of sheets of paper thickness between alt body and engine block.

now because of the radius of the bottom pulley, it pushes the belt out a bit. and i found that it ctaches my alt bracket occasionaly

not in a bad way,. just enough it has took the writing off it.........

hope that makes sense

slackjames
30-06-03, 01:26 PM
i fitted the carbs and the alternator belt is rubbing on the bottom bracket.
iv also found out that their should be some rubber washers so that the manifold can flex is that true

dave.gsi
30-06-03, 02:19 PM
what engine are they on?

lol......
iv just fitted some twin 40s to my 1.4 nova

slackjames
30-06-03, 02:21 PM
its a 1.4 sr

Jules
30-06-03, 02:33 PM
I tried this earlier but the k&n gets in the way.
When I bought my old Nova with the 40's already on it it had 2 K&N's (One on each carb) and the previous owner had "modified" (Butchered) the base plate of the one that's on the alternator side to allow the alternator to sit further back (He'd cut the corner of it off in other words!!)
I soon took the K&N's off as tbh they don't give you much in the way of power return compared to something like a Pipercross foam 'surround' filter or get 4 foam filter socks to put on 'em to make more room.

iv also found out that their should be some rubber washers so that the manifold can flex is that true

Yes, on the join between inlet manifold and carbs there should be bolt going through that have thick rubber washers with stell 'cups' either side to hold them in postion, this is to allow a slight movement in the 40's under hard acceleration, you might be able to get these from Weber or from a rolling road tuner that specilaizes in Weber carb tuning.
Also if you do get them then don't tighten them up fully, tighten them by hand and then 'nip' them up with a spanner.

slackjames
02-07-03, 10:46 PM
thanks for your help the cars running its a little rich but gaz can sort that out

mikeoxford
04-07-03, 12:47 AM
thanks for your help the cars running its a little rich but gaz can sort that out

ull have a job

adjusting idle mixture is easy - but running rich on acceleration circuits or top end - thats a jet change required. only a rr can do really

as the only thing to twiddle on t40s is idle speed and idle mixture