PDA

View Full Version : Arch repair

wrigleys
29-06-03, 01:57 PM
I've got to repair the driver's side rear arch.
The only thing I'm worried about is the petrol tanks on that side and as we can all guess

Petrol + heat (welder) = bye bye nova

so how hard is the petrol tank to get out?

DUNOVA.
29-06-03, 03:49 PM
What part of the arch have you got to repair?A bloke who done some work on my car did'nt take the tank out

wrigleys
29-06-03, 05:52 PM
it's pretty much the whole arch I have to replace.
I've got the replacement pannel, just needs welding in.

Chris LR
29-06-03, 08:44 PM
The tank won't go up...... Just take it to any Good Bodyshop and they'll cut, weld and spray within a couple of days, I'd imagine it'd be around ?100

wrigleys
29-06-03, 10:20 PM
thats cool!

But I ain't got ?100!! :evil:

so I need to now how hard the tank is to get out?

mikeoxford
29-06-03, 10:54 PM
100 thats cheap!

best i can find round here is ?180 for a rear corner!

beghy
29-06-03, 11:52 PM
I wish (?100)

Gunzi
30-06-03, 07:36 PM
I got mine done for ?150 fully resprayed and rolled a mint job.
But I took the tank off when I had the engine converted and it was a real bitch coz all the bolts seemed to be rusted, plenty of wd40 was required and a few cuss words, and try to run it dry of petrol before and remove the filler cap b4 you start. When you've removed it watch for petrol spilling out as no matter how empty you think it is theres always some swilling around and if you are welding.........
Hope this helps
Oh yeah try not to bend the metal fuel pipes under the car or you'll have to replace them and that is more issues with splilling petrol everywhere

raygsi
01-07-03, 02:09 AM
Petrol spill?

Strange? I had to replace the tank-to-pump rubber pipe on my GSi in an emergency (so I did all the low-petrol, plenty-of-spill, fire extinguisher stuff that you do as a precaution) ... slowly eased the rubber pipe along the tank pipe, then did a rapid remove/refit - just to see if there would be any spill ... nothing! I then took the rubber pipe completely off the tank and had zero petrol spill. When I took the rubber pipe off the pump OK, there was a minor spill and that's what I'd say is the main danger.

Ray
(PS always ready to be proven wrong - remember, I'm a newbie here :wink:
PPS - there's a lot more to the story than this but I had to insist to Vauhxall that a full OEM replacement pipe really was preferable to my emergency job - think handbrake cable :lol: )