PDA

View Full Version : very loud tappets

luke1.4sr
25-06-11, 02:02 PM
basically my head gasket went friday and it ate 6 litres of water over half an hour as i had to get home,engine ran a bit iffy as it was throwing steam out the back lol

well i took it apart,put the tappets straight in oil,got the head cleaned and skimmed, put it all together,now it taps really loud,canmt find out what it is.

i have oil pressure as its flicking out the cam lobes,its not the alternator as i disconnected it when i ran it too. got lots of oil bit of 15w40 and 10w40 as i was going to change it again as the oil was contaminated of water lol

any ideas would be great thanks?:thumb:

DW-Nova
25-06-11, 04:00 PM
You will have done some serious damage to your car driving it back that far in that state! It must have gotten boiling!!!!! It could be all manner of things, when you get an engine so so hot for such a prelonged period of time everything will expand and stretch, when you came to a stop and let it cool down of course everything will shrink but I think that driving it for so long in that state will have killed it! New engine, it'll never be the same again.

mowgli
25-06-11, 04:08 PM
did you actually squeeze the old oil out of the tappets & then strip them for a reclean?

have you run it for any appreciable time up the road to give them a chance to pump up?

are you sure its not something like the spark plugs?

General Baxter
25-06-11, 04:22 PM
whats with al the double posts ?

Jack
25-06-11, 04:48 PM
whats with al the double posts ?
We're having a few technical gremlins at the mo.

luke1.4sr
25-06-11, 06:34 PM
Dw- yea I know mate but I thought it would be ok as I kept stopping topping the water up. Never went past half way on the temp gauge as it's always ran.

But I have looked at one of the lobes and there is some wear and i remember seeing some wear on the followers. It runs fine just taps like mad so I think the cam and the followers are fooked.

Mowgli-tappets no I didn't as I put them straight in oil when I took them out.

I have been driving it around town. It runs fine just taps like mad which makes me suspect the cam and followers even more.

Spark plugs? Why them?

luke1.4sr
25-06-11, 06:34 PM
Sorry double post lol

luke1.4sr
25-06-11, 09:00 PM
thought i post a video,think its the tappets as there is no play between the cam and the followers. there is some wear on the cam but only a little.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/lukejamesoneill/nova%20h217%20kud/th_62f76de1.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/lukejamesoneill/nova%20h217%20kud/?action=view&current=62f76de1.mp4)

Danny s-p
25-06-11, 09:38 PM
you engine just portending to be a ford endro engine lol

DW-Nova
25-06-11, 11:03 PM
/\ Danny s-p I agree lol, Sounds like a Ford KA! /\

But no in all seriousness that sounds AWFUL mate!

DW-Nova
25-06-11, 11:03 PM
/\ Danny s-p I agree lol, Sounds like a Ford KA! /\

But no in all seriousness that sounds AWFUL mate!

autograss_racer
26-06-11, 02:12 AM
you engine just portending to be a ford endro engine lol LOL!
nah, thats you not putting them back in same place isn't it... each cam lobe and associated rocker and tappet has different wear, so when you mix them up its sounds like a bag of nails. New cam rocker and tappets would be best. Might get away with just tappets. You'll def want to change them, and your oil again after, all the mayo that was stuck in them and around other channels will have come out by now.

autograss_racer
26-06-11, 02:12 AM
nah, thats you not putting them back in same place isn't it... each cam lobe and associated rocker and tappet has different wear, so when you mix them up its sounds like a bag of nails. New cam rocker and tappets would be best. Might get away with just tappets. You'll def want to change them, and your oil again after, all the mayo that was stuck in them and around other channels will have come out by now.

autograss_racer
26-06-11, 02:13 AM

autograss_racer
26-06-11, 02:13 AM

sri888
26-06-11, 03:01 AM
omg :eek: that is loud!! sounds like a diesil with the timin outlol my sprinter runs qiuter than thatlol

if i was you id change yr head gasket drain an clean yr tappets properly an sort yr timin out as you can her it :eek:

sri888
26-06-11, 03:05 AM
omg:eek: sounds like a diesil car with the timing badly outlol
change the head gasket an drain an clean them tappets out;) put them in parrafin or red derv!! an sort that timin out!!!

But no in all seriousness that sounds TERRIBLE mate!!:eek:

luke1.4sr
26-06-11, 12:29 PM
Lol yea so do you think it's just the tappets?

luke1.4sr
26-06-11, 12:29 PM
Lol yea so do you think it's just the tappets?

luke1.4sr
26-06-11, 08:09 PM
I rebuilt the tappets. No difference . One last question is there a difference between 12nv and 12nz heads? I.e the oil ways as I looked at label on my headgasket set and it says it's for a 12nz not a 12nv like mine.

autograss_racer
26-06-11, 09:14 PM
Has this thread gone funny I cant see any replies.....?

mowgli
26-06-11, 09:48 PM
1, get the rocker cover off & check what happens when its running.
2. check the spark leads are on right
3. check the cam & dizzy timing.

simonm
26-06-11, 10:10 PM
That sounds sick really sick are you sure all your followers are in properly maybe nocked one when poppin the head back on sounds really worse than lifters

Damo
26-06-11, 10:12 PM
did you put the headgaskit on the right way round?.

simonm
26-06-11, 10:26 PM
Sounds really sick are you sure one of your followers hasn't moved maybe when poppin the head back on sounds worse than lifters

mrT
26-06-11, 10:34 PM
you sure the top end is getting oil? sounds dry as a nuns c##t

simonm
26-06-11, 10:40 PM
Shouldn't make a difference just one is carb the other is injection

mrT
26-06-11, 10:54 PM
did you put the headgaskit on the right way round?.

thats what im thinking and its caused oil starvation, as said take rocker cover off and fire it up to see whats goin on, sounds like a new top end to me though

simonm
26-06-11, 11:06 PM
+1 on that one sounds completely dry and if you've driven it like that it prob is a new head you'll need

autograss_racer
27-06-11, 01:07 AM
WHen the headgasket is on wrong way can't you see a tab hanging out? Or am I thinking of a different engine I can't remember... it is a possibility though, the tappets won't fill up. I still think it's tappets - get a new set, why piss about?

brainsnova
27-06-11, 01:21 AM
Just xe it

luke1.4sr
27-06-11, 06:28 AM
The headgasket must be the right way round as there dowls located it as the holes are bigger one end than the other so it can go only one way.

Yea I'm sure they sit right as I took the cam cover off to check.

The tappets are in properly as I thoroughly cleaned them out when I rebuilt the tappets.

I Duno if you saw my last post as png was on one at the weekend as I said I'd found the label of my headgasket set which said 12nz which is injection but mines 12nv carb, is there any difference?

Cheers for the help gus really appreciate it:)

mowgli
27-06-11, 07:36 AM
the 12nv is larger bore its around the 78mm mark (77.8 iirc) and the 12nz is 72mm. that could actually be the problem..

luke1.4sr
27-06-11, 11:11 AM
Ah ok that might be it then. Rang the company i got the headgasket off and they said they only list for a 12nz and a 12st. What's a 12st?

mowgli
27-06-11, 11:22 AM
Ah ok that might be it then. Rang the company i got the headgasket off and they said they only list for a 12nz and a 12st. What's a 12st?

12st is an early carb version, and it is pretty much identical to the nv

sri888
27-06-11, 11:54 PM
i doubt uve got a head gasket issue with it makin it sound rough. that would just alter the compression. those tappets are coil bound tight against the cam they sound like thier at thier max did u change the oil ? u could have a a piece of the gasket blockin a oil way or even the sump pick up!! makin low oil pressure....

luke1.4sr
28-06-11, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the help guys but I managed to sort it out and it's running a dream :)

I'll show you lot late once I finish work what it was:)