PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing a Tailgate

Hodgeheg
29-06-03, 12:45 PM
How much would this cost to be done at a bodyshop ?

I vaguely know that a metal plate has to be welded into the reces, then filled with a substance filler, then smoothed over with a fine filler to flush it. I am presuming my tailgate has to be then resprayed ? Bearing in mind that i can gte someone to weld the plate on.. i reckon i could do the filling. How much would a bodyshop charge for the respray ?

once done.. how does the boot open ? lol Do i have to use a release catch linked to a lever in the front ?

(Wanted - Set of 15" 100+/Team dynamics Tornado's or TSW Fury's in Anthracite.. good tyres all round. Willing to pay ?200'ish)

Cheeze
29-06-03, 12:53 PM
regarding ur question, it will depend on what bodyshop u go to. i think u can get blanking plates from a company down south. as for opening it i think most use a solinoid with a switch up front

epo
29-06-03, 02:13 PM
theres a question already in general chat bout this http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=76236
recon am gunna have ago at but supernovas recon there doin a plate 2 fit ove the recess sellin it at max power

Cheeze
29-06-03, 03:00 PM
ab styling do a blanking plate for the nova, it says it cost 89quid, say its hassle free fitting. tel no is 01443 843132

NovaNeil
29-06-03, 03:41 PM
CCM do a fibreglass plate that goes over the whole of the tailgate for about ?65

Hodgeheg
29-06-03, 05:46 PM
Looked on CCM website, ?40 for a Tailgate Panel.. Anyone used one of these, as i know there is alot fo crap around for cars a.t.m.

How would a Maroon coloured nova with an Abyss front/rear bumper and GSi sideskirts look .. all painted in Maroon, or Black ? (bearing in mind i will have some Anthracite Tornado's soon) Or should i just ditch the abyss stuff and get a GSI kit, leave it black ?

Serves me right for buying sucha shitty couloured nova

Cheeze
29-06-03, 05:57 PM
the only worry i would have of the fibre plate itwould it crack with ur sub. (u have got one dont u?) think it would be better black

epo
29-06-03, 06:42 PM
1 lad on here used that expandin foam stuff behind the plate so it wasnt hollow thatd stop much of the movement wudnt it

Cheeze
29-06-03, 06:54 PM
suppose that might work, u got a abyss kit do u?

epo
29-06-03, 07:09 PM
[, u got a abyss kit do u?[/quote]
me nah super nova bumper needs sprayin

Cheeze
29-06-03, 07:18 PM
sorry got muddled up there. im waiting to get mine back. hope its soon cause i hate this walking crap

Hodgeheg
29-06-03, 09:12 PM
Well.. i think i'l try one of these "Fibreglass covers"... i reckon the best thing to do with the recess is to stick some acoustic insulated carpet underlay in there, I have some ! and a bit fo foam.. to missimise the vibrations ? This fibreglass cover.. How do you mount it ? is it just a pefect fit over the number plate recess ? do you have to smooth it into the tailgate round the edges ?

I decided to keep the car maroon, but put a Black GSi Bumper on the front, black GSi skirts, Black SR spoiler, Black Rear standard bumper. Take all the grey crappy trim of it. Paint the window sourrounds black(which are also grey) and get the Anthractie 15'' tornado's. I think the Maroon/Black combination will actually look really really good. bit unsual to the standard Blue or white or red. Then just get my stereo ,speakers and sub installed. keep it simple

bit out of place here.. but if i get 15's.. and lower it all by 50 mm. What will my Carrying capacity and general Rubbing be like ? i wanna beable to carry 2 people in back as well as 1 in the front. Is this possible ?

god.. bit of a long post, first car, wanna make sure i do it right and don't ruin it ! can't even drive it yet.. well not legally ! :-P

mikeoxford
30-06-03, 12:33 AM
theres a guide on my website in how to guides > exterior

dave.gsi
30-06-03, 01:23 AM
cough#blatent free plug#cough

:lol:

Ben (lurk75)
30-06-03, 08:15 AM
cough#blatent free plug#cough

Yup and this ones even more blatent!

click the link in my footer as we are selling a flushed tailgate at the moment, very good condition :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers dave you gave me the intro i was after :wink:

dave.gsi
30-06-03, 12:43 PM
lol :lol: