PDA

View Full Version : Rwd mid engined nova

Ste_Nova
29-06-03, 12:36 PM
hi peeps, as some of u may allready know i'm building a rwd nova in 2 weeks time... i have sorted the hardest part.. the gear linkage and selector... i have issues with a few other items..

rear brakes - i have no ideas for this
clutch cable - use 2 cables with an exposed section between them
brake vac pipe - ok to use hose pipe?
acc cable - same as clutch?
weighting front down - ??kgs
cooling - rad in rear with under floor scoop, plastic rear side windows with corner cut off

anything else... feel free to add

and before anyone asks... there is a ?10 spending limit (only kidding ?? can be spent where needed but no ?? parts or motorsport stuff)

p.s. we are doing it in 48hrs, like the pickup

wrigleys
29-06-03, 01:44 PM
have you thought of a 4WD front engined nova?
just make a big tunnel down the centre of the car for the drive shaft

or has it been done?
or just not fesable?

Stuart
29-06-03, 02:44 PM
try and keep the rad up front, this will a) keep wieght there and b) better air flow

i'd have thought the rear brakes would be fine. infact they may be better with a bit more load to make them more effective.

to be sure with the brake servo hose, put an assistor spring inside to be sure it wont collapse.

erm as for the rest id say youve got it sussed

bue hey im likely to be talking shitte

Ste_Nova
29-06-03, 02:50 PM
wanna keep the front free for an engine ;).... rear brakes are gonna be front ones :roll:

NovaNeil
29-06-03, 03:32 PM
Have a look at this months Redline, theres that Rear RS Turbo engined 106. You might get a few ideas from it about where to put stuff.
Usally the fuel tank goes in the front to give front end weight, but if your thinking about a front engine in the future as well, you'll have to put it where the passenger seat should be :? Can't think of anywhere else could go?
Also the rear brakes have to be stronger than the fronts! Theres no way the standard ones will do on the rear. Imagine having better brakes on the front, then having to slam the brakes on mid corner!!!! The car will swop ends faster than you can say "Whos the daddy"

Good luck. Can't wait to see it. :D

Jules
29-06-03, 03:38 PM
Have a look at this months Redline, theres that Rear RS Turbo engined 106. You might get a few ideas from it about where to put stuff.
Usally the fuel tank goes in the front to give front end weight, but if your thinking about a front engine in the future as well, you'll have to put it where the passenger seat should be :? Can't think of anywhere else could go?
Also the rear brakes have to be stronger than the fronts! Theres no way the standard ones will do on the rear. Imagine having better brakes on the front, then having to slam the brakes on mid corner!!!! The car will swop ends faster than you can say "Whos the daddy"

Good luck. Can't wait to see it. :D

My mate did that (Along with a few other rear engined cars), the way he does them is to insert the front end of the donor car into the back of the RWD RE car, I.E take the engine bay as a whole, cut a huge hole in the boot floor and weld in said engine bay, this way the engine will sit nicely on standard mounts with no messing about, like you've discovered, the hardest parts are things like clutch cable and gear linkages.

Ste_Nova
29-06-03, 06:44 PM
thats what we are doing... we have a nova to chop up for the front end.....

i looked at the rst 106 at donny

fuel tank i think is gonna be 2 tanks behind the seats jerry can size giving 40liters...

Dave_Hay
29-06-03, 06:48 PM
can u make sure u send me pics of it ste :) progress pics too please

brian
29-06-03, 07:01 PM
i would be very interested too ste in progress pics/info as its something i was considering looking into at some stage. :)

mikeoxford
29-06-03, 11:04 PM
:lol: shouldnt it be builtin48hours.com instead of novaworkshop?

good on ya mate

sounds nuts

there was that mental looking bloke :lol: with a grinder last time in your pics - if your doing it in 48 hours - make sure you ent all rushing as you dont wanna cause injury :roll:

sorry i ent no help :lol: just wanted to day good luck as the pickups a minter :D

what do u do with all these cars? garage them?

Ste_Nova
30-06-03, 11:37 AM
there was that mental looking bloke :lol: with a grinder last time in your pics - if your doing it in 48 hours - make sure you ent all rushing as you dont wanna cause injury :roll:

http://mig.lathwood.co.uk/upload/i/im000225xx.jpg

MC
30-06-03, 11:45 AM
Ste,

You could use the H frame/crossmember from the Cav Gsi. The engine sits on it, but more importantly the TCA does too. You could use this to set up the rear suspension and brakes. Use cav front suspension, hub and discs.

MC

Dicko
30-06-03, 11:48 AM
thatl be kyle lmfao

be careful using hosepipe ste, some stuff is real brittle after its heated up a few times. maybe try to get hold of some high pressure fuel hose?

so your not putting rad in the front :o

put it in back with some mad 4rse venting/cooling :D (roof scoop lol)

jon_boy
30-06-03, 01:11 PM
id sya go for a roof top scoop. if its underneath might scoop up too much poo and water. not poo literally....you get what i mean. and a roof top one would be easier to do. bonnet vent off a sunny stright through the roof.

Ste_Nova
30-06-03, 01:17 PM
Ste,

You could use the H frame/crossmember from the Cav Gsi. The engine sits on it, MC

nope only 1 engine mount fits to the subframe

Ste_Nova
30-06-03, 01:23 PM
Ste,

You could use the H frame/crossmember from the Cav Gsi. The engine sits on it, MC

nope only 1 engine mount fits to the subframe

MC
30-06-03, 01:27 PM
You didn't need to say it twice.

Yeah, I know that only one mount bolts to the subframe, but if you use that, you know that the shaft and suspension geometry is correct. See what I mean? It gives you a way of referencing the correct location of everything.

MC

Ste_Nova
30-06-03, 01:34 PM
that would mean using the cav rear track.... and that a no no cause the car is gonna be running standard arches

MC
30-06-03, 01:36 PM
OK

You like keeping a low profile don't ya.

So you asked for ideas on brake setup, what is stumping you?

MC

Ste_Nova
30-06-03, 01:40 PM
handbrake

and bias

do i fit 16v stuff up front with 1.2i stuff on the back?

MC
30-06-03, 02:58 PM
I know it'll bump the price up, but the easiest way to sort the handbrake is to use a hydraulic system.

Bias: Is it going to be a problem? I suppose the rearsa will need to work harder as there is more weight over them. You could just fit an in car adjustable bias. Once you find the right spot it doesn't have to change.

I wouldn't use hose pipe on the servo. Won't it collapse under the vacuum. Can't you go race style with no servo assistance?

MC

Ste_Nova
30-06-03, 03:38 PM
hydraulic will fail mot afaik :(

servo has been sorted... gonna run a copper pipe under the car

MC
30-06-03, 03:45 PM
Yeah, hydraulic will fail MOT, but surely you must know the right kind of MOT tester? :wink:

Ste_Nova
30-06-03, 03:52 PM
i'll leave the axle and spring mounts on so i can mot it with a rear axle :wink:

CP
30-06-03, 07:10 PM
Why dont you ask chip - he's got 1?.

CP
30-06-03, 07:13 PM
Clutch cable - could a handbrake cable assembly be modded - it would be easier to get the reach? Otherwise made to measure bowden cable but these are xpensive i think?