PDA

View Full Version : 2lt 16v into a standard 1.2

paulwar
29-06-03, 01:35 AM
Is the above possible and if so what sort of work will need to be under taken to get the beast to fit into the 1.2 engine bay???
also do i then need to change gearbox, axels? or any thing along that line???

:P :P :P

if its cheap enough i will keep the car standard and just run a 2lt under the hood then i can beat all these very nice modded novas :D

brian
29-06-03, 03:04 AM
check out www.valvers.com although at the moment its not the full site as he is making a new one. the info on this is very helpfull.
Your question comes up at least once every week so have a good look back through technical forums.
Just briefly about what you are asking, its not hard at all to fit. its physically the same to bolt into any Nova. you can see the mounts you need on valvers.com and are cheep at 40quid or something.
You will either need to use an alternator with a v belt or if you use a wide altenator you will need to beat in your chassis leg quite a bit to clear it.
Wiring is easy if you know anything at all! and is on valvers. if the site is not up and runing by the time you decide to do this one of us can post it up for ya.
You will need to use a F16 or F20 box.
i could ramble on about everything you need to know but there is not much point as its all on here already so have a look back.
Check insurance quotes too :wink:

paulwar
29-06-03, 09:40 PM
I do like that it says end of may and we are now end of june and be in july on tuesday. Thanks brain i hope my standard 1.2 nova will be come a project car :o) depending on how badly the engine bay has gone as in rust :S

GTE-RACER
29-06-03, 10:17 PM
Decent brakes would b a good idea 2 :roll:

paulwar
29-06-03, 10:22 PM
any ideas on what sort of brakes? this is a 1st time thing and till i get a job i am just planning on what i can do with it. It will deff be a project car and hopefully look nice at the end of it

brian
29-06-03, 11:16 PM
2l discs and calipers. new discs are cheap too so ya might as well get some and leave the rear alone its fine.

paulwar
29-06-03, 11:21 PM
ok next question is where and what 2lt engine should i go for? should i see if i can get my hands on a re-conditioned one or what?

ade
30-06-03, 12:07 AM
without knowing too much about 2ltr conversions most I've seen are 2ltr 16v lumps from calibras - red tops

You can get 2ltr 8v from cavvy (see onephatnovas blue baby)

Your engine bay may need strengthening too - many buy stengthening kits

Also - your drive shafts will need to be updated (apparantly).

you can buy brake conversion kits - theyre about ?250 and come with all the bits you need (calipers, servos etc) - think Auto Vaux do em.

check Migweb and other car sites for 2ltr engines...

paulwar
30-06-03, 12:12 AM
when you say other car sites can you name a few as this is just a new thing to me and i saw a very nice dark purple nova with a 2lt 16v engine will a complete roll cage and he even had the cheak to remove the dash !!!!!! looks so nice just thought i would look into costing and that of a 2lt conversion

ade
30-06-03, 12:51 AM
oh - forgot to mention astra aswell...

and... funilly enuff check this out -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2421456593

TBH I cant think on any car sites as I only really come on here - but try the parts section here or try (I think) migweb.co.uk, or dare I say it roybacer.co.uk :o

Also check out adtrader.co.uk - enter yer postcode and tons comes up.
Ade

paulwar
30-06-03, 01:00 AM
I SO WISH I HAD A JOB
i would have bought it now and be done with

brian
30-06-03, 01:58 AM
engines can be got from mk2 Astra GTE, mk3 Astra GSi (Pre eco-tec), Cav GSi (Pre eco-tec) and Calibra. the engines all look the same and you will need the wiring harness with the engine and ecu.
and be carefull when buying as a lot of these engines are knackered and most obvious of all watch for a rattley sound from the head when runin!
Is you engine bay clean? if it is then you don't really need to get strength kit. best thing to do is to seam weld the bay.

ade
30-06-03, 09:45 AM
Brian - when you say seam weld the bay do you mean run an extra thick weld along the suspension turret areas,slam panel and around the inner wing joins?

Always wondered what that meant?

Ade

Aragorn
30-06-03, 10:07 AM
not so much extra thick since they are only spot welded on in the first place

the idea is to solidly weld the panels together rather than the weak(ish) spot welds vaux used in the first place

stitch welding is a bit better than seam - if one stitch cracks it will stop there - if its seam welded and cracks the whole lot will go

paulwar
30-06-03, 01:43 PM
ok so i could pick a engine up from a scrappy then? also if any place was to start to go rusty in the engine bay where would it be and how bad does it need to be before i not even bother repairing it? i know my offisde drivers door is rusty and is going and then the nearside front wheel arch is rusty but they bolt on ? and then the offside read wheel arch is rusty but that can be rubbed down and then a plate welded in and then all resprayed

slackjames
30-06-03, 01:48 PM
if go on www.justnovas.co.uk they will do all the work for you

paulwar
30-06-03, 01:59 PM
Wheres the fun in that? get a company to do it for you the point of a project car is to do as much as possible your self?

brian
30-06-03, 11:25 PM
stitch welding is a bit better than seam -
:oops: very sorry though thats what i had said :oops:
i deffo meant stitch. sorry again. thats what i always do. weld and inch, leave an inch.

Brian - when you say seam weld the bay do you mean run an extra thick weld along the suspension turret areas,slam panel and around the inner wing joins
well as ive said i meant stitch so yes ade, around the suspension turrets along the top of the chassis leg where all the sealer is, and you would be obviously doing a lot more for competition but not really needed for a clean shell with a valver. you could do around the bulkhead, down low around the wishbone joint area etc.

paulwar
01-07-03, 12:32 AM
ok now i have had time to think about it the nova isn't going to become a project car i am going to crash it or take it banger racing depends what comes 1st

a new project car will be somthing else which i dont have a clue on :( thanks to all of you for your info though

brian
01-07-03, 01:25 AM
whimp! :lol: