PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 and 1.8 baby XE engines

mk1nova_rich
20-06-11, 10:15 PM
As most of you now know I have bought Southie's old Nova, with its 140bhp C16XE. The extra power comes from a Mantzel inlet, some headwork and a 4-2-1. The bottom end is pretty much untouched apart from a set of ARP rod bolts and a lightened pot type flywheel.

I'd like to build up a new bottom end over the back end of this year, just for a freshen up and peace of mind more than anything - so instead of sourcing another 16XE bottom end, would it be worthwhile looking for a Z18XE bottom end - do the heads swap straight over etc?!?

Any other differences or things to watch out for?

peester
21-06-11, 06:09 AM
Nope, 1.6 head wont fit 1.8. Anyway no point - the 1.8 head is a better, newer design ; just get a complete 1.8. Theyre cheap enough.
Doesnt have to be the z18xe; x18xe1 also is small block 1.8, same engine.

Pancho
21-06-11, 12:09 PM
x18xe1 is actually better as it runs cable throttle pre 1999. cracking motors...

peester
21-06-11, 06:31 PM
well, that depends - but yes easier to fit if keeping o.e throttle/inlet.

mk1nova_rich
22-06-11, 11:45 PM
Are the inlets interchangeable between the C16 and Z/X18(1)??

Mieran
22-06-11, 11:59 PM
If its not broken don't fix it ;)

craig green
23-06-11, 12:00 AM
No, the inlet pattern on that side of the head is different, but the exhaust studs are the same iirc.

mk1nova_rich
23-06-11, 12:01 AM
If its not broken don't fix it ;)

Its not...yet lol if I do build up another engine it wont go in til this one's had enough ;)

mk1nova_rich
23-06-11, 12:02 AM
Cheers Craig, looks like I'll just sort out a new C/X16 bottom end as the cheapest option

Danny s-p
23-06-11, 01:46 AM
am putting in a x18x1 soon you need to run fuel pressure reg and some think else as it don't have fuel return on the rail and you have to make custom exhaust out of a cors c sri decat manifold ( cheapest i can fined is £170 for crap very sort 4-1 talking 200+ for 4-2-1 ) and corsa c sri down pipe witch like rocky horse poo to fined a good after market upgraded one with out been ripped off. then once you done all those you need to change the in let dibbles will quite happerlly tack £1200 for that or get your own made and get it mapped . still you only be running about 140 at a push

the only plus side is you can pic one up for say £100 -£150 were the c16 prices have gone throe the roof once again hope this helps

AlexW
23-06-11, 06:52 PM
Best thing to do would be to rebuild the current bottom end, Overbore it (so new pistons), new rings crank balance and grind if it needs it, all new bearings and seals/gaskets and some ARP's, will be fine.

A full conversion to 1.8 won't be as easy as a standard 1.6 conversion from what I've seen.

Danny Please use spellcheck, Its so easy, and you can just use a C/X16XE exhaust manifold and downpipe, just need to change the sump and oil pick-up.

Danny s-p
23-06-11, 07:08 PM
Best thing to do would be to rebuild the current bottom end, Overbore it (so new pistons), new rings crank balance and grind if it needs it, all new bearings and seals/gaskets and some ARP's, will be fine.

A full conversion to 1.8 won't be as easy as a standard 1.6 conversion from what I've seen.

Danny Please use spellcheck, Its so easy, and you can just use a C/X16XE exhaust manifold and downpipe, just need to change the sump and oil pick-up.spell checked sorry was half a sleep and thanks for the info on the manifold info all be add that to my list :thumb: