PDA

View Full Version : How much to fit a cam?

Gaz1300SR
20-06-11, 09:50 PM
Just wondered how much approx I will have to pay to get my kent cam put in my 1.3SR? I have read some of the "HOW TO" threads but tbh I haven't got the tools to do it and would worry I might do it wrong.... So how much would you think?

Cheers

sri888
20-06-11, 09:55 PM
hi if u went to a garage i would say 2hrs work an @ £20 - £30 hr all depends where you go. or either that get a mate to do it an give them a few beer tokens;)

Gaz1300SR
21-06-11, 07:36 AM
hi if u went to a garage i would say 2hrs work an @ £20 - £30 hr all depends where you go. or either that get a mate to do it an give them a few beer tokens;)

Not to bad if its around that much. Am I best getting the tappets done at the same time? I would ask.a.mate but honestly they make me look like a mechanical genius....

mowgli
21-06-11, 08:25 AM
buy a cam follower removal tool of the internet (linky) (http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=313&item=646) , & read your haynes book.. its easy peasy.

Lewis.
21-06-11, 08:38 AM
those tools are rubbish, and you need 8 of them to use them properly, which would set you back £90. your best off just whipping the head off and doing it properly mate. they have to be one of the simplest heads to remove in the world. you wont find many garages that would use those shonkey tools. i know we wouldn't.

so i'd say a headset @ £40, timing belt @ £10, 3 hrs labour @ £30 + VAT (or get a mate to help for a lot less)

and if the headgasket hasn't been changed for a while, and its coming up for a belt anyway, you've killed 3 birds with one stone :thumb:

mowgli
21-06-11, 08:43 AM
you squish 1 tappet at a time, then remove the follower. you then move to the next one.. its hardly rocket science.

but i agree, on a 1300, whipping the head off & only needing a head gasket, not a head set, by leaving the manifolds on (saving 25 quid) is pretty quick to do

Lewis.
21-06-11, 08:47 AM
i too have tried using those tools. Laser say to just compress each tappet and leave the tool in place. i found there wasn't enough movement on the tool to compress the tappet to gain adequate clearance to remove the follower. which is why i threw the one i bought as hard as i could down the garden, and just took the head off lol

yeah i suppose a headset isn't really needed either. which makes it even cheaper and easier to do it properly lol

Gaz1300SR
21-06-11, 01:10 PM
Balls to it, i'm going to give it a go. I'll be honest, my greatest fear isn't removing the head as such but the worry of snapping any bolts off in the head. That and making sure I don't mess up the timing.

Thanks for the advice/help chaps!