View Full Version : astra 2.2 wont start

nova man dan
17-06-11, 06:39 PM
bought of a mate he got it part ex
the car drove fine workin for a few days and went go start the car to start
it turns over but will not fire up ???

Spudly
17-06-11, 06:43 PM
Errr, a little more info is needed to help out, have you recently had it in bits, jetwashed the engine bay, dropped your key, been away for a month and let the battery go flat, it could be any number of possibilities!

Adam
17-06-11, 06:59 PM
Does the ecu light flash when you turn it over?

nova man dan
17-06-11, 07:12 PM
not drop the key or bin jet washed or bin worked on

Rich
17-06-11, 07:16 PM
Has it got fuel in it?

Really need more info, its hard to diagnose a car over the interwebs lol

Spudly
17-06-11, 07:17 PM
Have you been driving it today/same day as it stopped working, when i bought my mk4 it needed a new ecu as once it got warm (90 on temp guage) it would cut out and wouldnt restart till it had cooled down completely!

nova man dan
17-06-11, 08:39 PM
car stop working Monday was drivein intil then park up and then went back to the car Tuesday and its not starting battery has lost charge wen ive try to start 1 or 2 truns of the key and it died got a snap on jump pack on the car and just not sparking no warning lights on the dash

John
17-06-11, 09:10 PM
do you have compression? Timing chain ok?

nova man dan
18-06-11, 09:32 AM
sound like it has no compression im take in the engine covers of to have a look

mrT
18-06-11, 11:29 AM
i'd check to see its not an alarm/immobiliser/key problem

nova man dan
18-06-11, 12:24 PM
first time ive seen/worked on 2.2 engine took engine cover off air box turn over smells of fuel

how would i check timing chain ?

how would i check if it ecu /alarm/immobilisers/key problem?

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss323/stickyboy/002-18.jpg http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss323/stickyboy/001-11.jpg

nova man dan
18-06-11, 02:22 PM
ive checked timing chain looks ok and tight

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss323/stickyboy/003-15.jpg

Spudly
18-06-11, 03:09 PM
Im assuming yours is a mk4, im still thinking yours might have lost the key chip somewhere, have you another key (the spare) try that and see if it starts, if still no joy then clicky this link (http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1428378&postcount=2) and do the pedal test to see if any codes come up (remember to keep the pedals in untill all codes have flashed up as there may be a few)

The read this link (http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=229255) and see what your codes relate to:thumb:

Stanley
18-06-11, 03:16 PM
Coil pack.

Failing that im sure theres an ECU on the back of the throttle body?

kent14sr
18-06-11, 03:49 PM
Is there not two seperate timing chains on the 2.2's?

nova man dan
18-06-11, 04:31 PM
wot do u mean about the paper clip bit wen u push do
the pedal test

pikey1986
18-06-11, 06:07 PM
push the peddles to flash the code and i assume that pudly linked to topbuzz to see what codes its throwing at you

Spudly
19-06-11, 02:07 AM
push the peddles to flash the code and i assume that pudly linked to topbuzz to see what codes its throwing at you

Nope, mk4 astra section of 'AOC' do the pedal test it works, and i mentioned nothing about paper clips, read the links i gave you properly as it tells you step by step EXACTLY what and how to do it:thumb:

nova man dan
19-06-11, 10:11 AM
i have read it clearly just waiting for jump pack to charged
mate give me this to try

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss323/stickyboy/004-19.jpg

nova man dan
19-06-11, 11:39 AM
i have try the peddle test nothing happened now there's a buzzing sound coming from the inlet manifold area
ecu/ coil ??
i am still trying the peddle test thou

Spudly
19-06-11, 01:57 PM
i have try the peddle test nothing happened now there's a buzzing sound coming from the inlet manifold area
ecu/ coil ??
i am still trying the peddle test thou

With keys out of ignition - press both brake & accelerator pedal at same time and keep them pressed to the floor....

insert key and turn to 2nd click - ignition on but DONT START THE ENGINE

Keep both pedals pressed throughout the procedure....

You have paid note to the bits ive highlighted havent you, and youre looking for the light that is the symbol of a car with a spanner in the top of it, (iirc) thats the one that will flash at you!

nova man dan
19-06-11, 05:32 PM
i have done this a few times and the light only came on then went off the 1 time

Tim Harpley
19-06-11, 10:13 PM
If the EGR valve is stuck open it won't fire up,Injection can't work out air fuel ratio.

nova man dan
21-06-11, 10:02 PM
ok how sort that out
new head or new part

Adam
22-06-11, 04:35 PM
If the EGR valve is stuck open it won't fire up,Injection can't work out air fuel ratio. I would think it would tbh.
It will just run off the cold start map, the engines air/fuel ratio reading from the lambda is ignored until its warmed up.

So the ecu light comes on with ignition yeah?

And you can smell fuel in the inlet? So its either not timed right, or you have no spark.
IIRC they run a cop system, maybe they have a control module running the coils, ive not owned one of these engines.
Id start checking the easy to change things, coil packs, crank sensor.

nova man dan
22-06-11, 04:51 PM
ok mate i will do

Tim Harpley
22-06-11, 10:44 PM
I would think it would tbh.
It will just run off the cold start map, the engines air/fuel ratio reading from the lambda is ignored until its warmed up.

So the ecu light comes on with ignition yeah?

And you can smell fuel in the inlet? So its either not timed right, or you have no spark.
IIRC they run a cop system, maybe they have a control module running the coils, ive not owned one of these engines.
Id start checking the easy to change things, coil packs, crank sensor.

It's worth a check because we've had cars dragged in on the back of breakdown trucks non starting cause the valve is stuck open, There's to much air getting into the engine on crank and the mapping can't work it out.

Tim Harpley
22-06-11, 11:14 PM
Is there not two seperate timing chains on the 2.2's?

One is for the cams the other for the balancer shafts.

Tim Harpley
22-06-11, 11:51 PM
ok how sort that out
new head or new part

EGR is on the end of the head just under where the coil pack plugs in its held in by 2 torx bolts.
Timing will only go out if the chain has gone slack they really rattle badly and jump on the cogs on start up, if this has happened you'll be looking at bent valves possible cracked valve guides + the cost of a chain,guides,tensioner & gaskets, I've seen people drag them of to the breakers when this has happened due to the repair cost :cry:
So I hope its something simple for you to fix,Have you checked if you have a spark, put a plug in the coil pack and use a jump lead to earth it out,(don't touch any part of it while its cranked over very high voltage) I have replaced faulty coil packs on this engine before.Good luck.:thumb:

nova man dan
24-06-11, 05:24 PM
nice 1 i try it in the morning then i got down scrap yard

nova man dan
26-06-11, 12:42 PM
i have tryed to get a spark diddnt happen
the chain jumps

nova man dan
28-06-11, 09:09 PM
bump

John
28-06-11, 10:15 PM
Check the timing properly. Ie cams and crank should all be aligned. Youll need a tool to check the cams. available on ebay.

nova man dan
16-07-11, 02:31 PM
well ive got 2 cars to fix already and aint really got time so i mite sell for wot 1 paid it 4 £600