PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel bearings

Jackroadkill
14-06-11, 04:13 PM
Can anyone tell me how easy the fron wheel bearings are to change on a Nova? They need doing and the Haynes makes it sound like a real ballache - how often do the old bearings fall apart and do you need a press to remove the old ones and fit the new ones?

As always, any advice gratefully recieved.

Thanks,

JR

phazer
14-06-11, 04:35 PM
There are various forms of bodgery/ingenuity that can be used but I had to use a press to take out and insert the new bearings. It's a fairly straight forward job but that bit is a royal pain without the right tools.

Iain
14-06-11, 04:47 PM
I too thought it was a daunting task, I managed to borrow a press which made the job extremely easy. Strip it down, get a new bearing, remove the circlips and take it somewhere with a press (or chuck a local garage a few quid to do it) and job jobbed.

swedge
14-06-11, 06:04 PM
I too thought it was a daunting task, I managed to borrow a press which made the job extremely easy. Strip it down, get a new bearing, remove the circlips and take it somewhere with a press (or chuck a local garage a few quid to do it) and job jobbed.

exacly what i do, strip it all down, wd40 the circlips and take them to a garage

Royston
14-06-11, 06:20 PM
Big vice and suitable sockets can make an alternative press, done many Nova front bearings this way, main pain is removing the inner bearing sleeve from the driveshaft flange.

Press is easier though

mowgli
14-06-11, 06:30 PM
exacly what i do, strip it all down, wd40 the circlips and take them to a garage

and also, if the garage gets it wrong, its not your fault. just remember when the lad tries to tell you there are 2 sizes listed, the bigger one is for the corsa, and the nova has the smaller one.

Paul
14-06-11, 06:47 PM
Big vice and suitable sockets can make an alternative press, done many Nova front bearings this way, main pain is removing the inner bearing sleeve from the driveshaft flange.

Press is easier though

Ditto, done a fair few wheels bearing in my vice now.

steviegsi
14-06-11, 06:54 PM
and also, if the garage gets it wrong, its not your fault. just remember when the lad tries to tell you there are 2 sizes listed, the bigger one is for the corsa, and the nova has the smaller one.

Mine had 1 of each lol

mowgli
14-06-11, 06:55 PM
so you had a corsa hub fitted at some point then...

swedge
14-06-11, 07:12 PM
so you had a corsa hub fitted at some point then...

so do i but ive forgot which one it is lol

mowgli
14-06-11, 07:41 PM
just wait till it goes wrong next time, then worry about it.

Jackroadkill
14-06-11, 10:56 PM
Guys, thanks for all the replies - very helpful. Looks like I'll be taking the old girl to work for a day or two soon.

Much appreciated,

JR

craig green
14-06-11, 11:04 PM
I find if all the nuts undo withought issue, mainly the rod end nut & you can release the rod end from the taper in the knuckle without drama, getting a garage to press the new ones in is the way to go.
Doing at home requires a large vice & a fecking large socket aswell.
If the old bearing is fooked, the car will feel far better for it.

Paul
14-06-11, 11:05 PM
When you put the new ones in, i use the old outer race in the vice.

redstig
15-06-11, 05:12 PM
i just take the hub off and take it to a local garage to get them pressed out\in.