PDA

View Full Version : Nova engine swap help

CarMadRJ
14-06-11, 03:17 PM
Hi all,

I currently have a 1.2i luxe plus nova 5dr and i would like better fuel economy...my solution, plant a diesel into it!

i know they came with 1.5td engines in them at one point, but i would quite like a 1.7cdti out of a mk4 astra, does anyone know if this is possible?

cheers, RJ

MattBrown
14-06-11, 03:20 PM
Yes, it will physically fit.

You can use an f13 gearbox from a nova, with them shafts and mounts.

Cut the chassis leg from an astra and weld the mount section infront of your nova turret.

I have no idea on the wiring, I imagine that will be the hard part!

Pancho
14-06-11, 03:33 PM
wiring will be mental. the cdti is CAN iirc. you can get aftermarket derv management but its squilliuons of pounds. and the y17dt/l isnt that good on fuel or power. the 1.9 cdti is where its at. but thats a fiat motor....

CarMadRJ
14-06-11, 03:36 PM
ok...so...overall what would be better...the 1.2spi or a 1.7 (1.9 popped into head for reason unbeknown to me...POWER!!!) diesel? i have time to do the swap etc but ill no dowt get stuck on wireing :L

Andy
14-06-11, 05:04 PM
Stick with a 17td isuzu if your going to diesel it.Plus you can get them ripping for £30

mowgli
14-06-11, 05:33 PM
i agree with andy. mk3 astra/mk3 cav isuzu 1.7 td is the best engine... & try to find a nova 1.5td donor.... for the mount & rest of engine bits...

CarMadRJ
14-06-11, 06:14 PM
so i should require a td nova for a donor? :/ is it possible without?

any ideas appreciated (Y)

mowgli
14-06-11, 06:20 PM
the 1.5td nova has all the right stuff already. the chassis leg/front engine mount is different. the gearbox & driveshafts are compatible with the petrol ones.

then read the tuning article in the how to section.

then if you want proper diesel fun, you need the 1.7 isuzu td, & big block type gearbox.. now to fit this, you basically need the same mount & driveshaft stuff that you need for a redtop conversion, but you also need to fit the ancilliaries off the front of the 1.5td.

MattBrown
14-06-11, 09:03 PM
wiring will be mental. the cdti is CAN iirc. you can get aftermarket derv management but its squilliuons of pounds. and the y17dt/l isnt that good on fuel or power. the 1.9 cdti is where its at. but thats a fiat motor....

No mk4 astra is can bus.

It came on the mk5's

Agreed, my van is crap on fuel, crap on power and generally slow! Lol

Damo
14-06-11, 09:33 PM
No mk4 astra is can bus.

It came on the mk5's

Agreed, my van is crap on fuel, crap on power and generally slow! Lol

Some of the later ones are as far as im aware matt.

MattBrown
15-06-11, 02:08 PM
Some of the later ones are as far as im aware matt.

Which ones pal?

The y17dt isnt, the y17DTH isnt.

Z20let isnt

all the smallblocks arent.

Unless its the very last Z20DTH?