PDA

View Full Version : Flash player for iPhone ?

Edd
14-06-11, 10:41 AM
Does anyone know if it's possible to install a flash player on a iPhone ?

Done a google search but that was as useful as a chocolate fire guard

I like the phone alot but no flash player is annoying me lol

Edd

brownbear
14-06-11, 10:44 AM
No it isn't. Something that is being addressed with the iPhone 5 afaik.

Edd
14-06-11, 10:47 AM
Ahh right cheers for that, many hours wasted then lol

novacabrio
14-06-11, 11:04 AM
Sure there was a court case about it all as Apple said flash was soooo last year!

Ste L
14-06-11, 12:35 PM
No it isn't. Something that is being addressed with the iPhone 5 afaik.

highly unlikely...

Steve Job's call's Flash, old technology, HTML5 is what he wants everyone using, instead of Flash

brownbear
14-06-11, 12:37 PM
highly unlikely...

Steve Job's call's Flash, old technology, HTML5 is what he wants everyone using, instead of Flash

Not what my apple insider told me ;)

Ste L
14-06-11, 12:56 PM
Not what my apple insider told me ;)

Old artical, from last year straight from Apple..

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash

i will believe it when i see it....

phazer
14-06-11, 02:24 PM
Ditto. The way Jobs is, it will be a cold day in hell before he backtracks.

brownbear
14-06-11, 02:59 PM
Ditto. The way Jobs is, it will be a cold day in hell before he backtracks.

Yup.
Can I hear compatible software created by and for apple that miraculously integrates the antiquated technology giving full usage but also improves it for mobile use for sites willing to update to the apple way??? I think I can..... lol

phazer
14-06-11, 03:09 PM
You don't understand the platform, the tools or the applications do you?

Adobe already have tools that cross compile flash to a native app. Apple banned anything created with this from the app store. Adobe have since re-worked this and again applie banned the output from the store. After a lot of bad publicity from those away from adobe, apple have relaxed a bit as their stance also technically banned cross platform development tool output from being submitted to the app store. Cutting your nose off to spite your face is close to where apple sit but they ain't stupid.

You need to understand that there is no hardware limitation as to why flash couldn't run now. In fact a iP3 will happily run flash. It is an enforced software restriction policy. Oh and iOS 5 that the 5 will ship with is to be made available to all devices back to the 3GS so again nothing miraculous there.

I would suggest you step away from the fanboi/rumour sites - apple love to drip feed via 'unknown sources' to drive a flurry of activity in the months up to hardware release.

brownbear
14-06-11, 03:23 PM
I may not have oodles of technical knowledge but what i do know is i'm not a part of the fanboi/rumour sites but one of my closest mates works for apple and trains the geniuses that you see at every apple store and he has told me that there is a development in process for the next iphone that will open up it's web capabilities to match and improve on current smart phones without ruining the integrity of apple, Look at it from another perspective, Why would apple go to so much trouble to block applications that help the current capabilities from a business perspective unless it was to help sell the next incarnation?

Edd
14-06-11, 03:53 PM
Is it possible to install a flash player if you have jailbroken the phone and have Cydia installed ?

JensonLEI
14-06-11, 03:59 PM
Jailbreak it and download frash, if it has been said opps, I have it working I play miniclip games etc

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee290/01162831327/de4d1fb4.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee290/01162831327/1f4e496e.jpg

phazer
14-06-11, 04:33 PM
I may not have oodles of technical knowledge but what i do know is i'm not a part of the fanboi/rumour sites but one of my closest mates works for apple and trains the geniuses that you see at every apple store and he has told me that there is a development in process for the next iphone that will open up it's web capabilities to match and improve on current smart phones without ruining the integrity of apple, Look at it from another perspective, Why would apple go to so much trouble to block applications that help the current capabilities from a business perspective unless it was to help sell the next incarnation?

Support drones are also the least informed of future direction in any busines IME. Only the other week they were under diktat to deny that malware existed on the Mac OS platform, once the media got hold of it the drones were then told what to say to the customer - sound like free thinking technically sound individuals?

Flash is not being held back to boost future sales, its being held back as it had the possibility to decimate the online app store. Apple are simply protecting a revenue stream, plain and simple.

Apple were forcing newpapers that sell subscriptions to make the subscription available through itunes (and allow them a 30% cut) otherwise their apps would be banned. I think there has been a minor climb down IIRC. Still it illustrates that revenue is the driver for the application decisions made by apple. You're kidding yourself (or are a major apple fanboi, I appreciate you say you're not :)) if you believe otherwise.

Take an objective look at the situation and read the industry news and you'll understand :thumb:

phazer
14-06-11, 04:33 PM
Is it possible to install a flash player if you have jailbroken the phone and have Cydia installed ?

Yes as per Jenson's post. Depends how messy you want to get?

brownbear
14-06-11, 04:44 PM
Support drones are also the least informed of future direction in any busines IME. Only the other week they were under diktat to deny that malware existed on the Mac OS platform, once the media got hold of it the drones were then told what to say to the customer - sound like free thinking technically sound individuals?

Flash is not being held back to boost future sales, its being held back as it had the possibility to decimate the online app store. Apple are simply protecting a revenue stream, plain and simple.

Apple were forcing newpapers that sell subscriptions to make the subscription available through itunes (and allow them a 30% cut) otherwise their apps would be banned. I think there has been a minor climb down IIRC. Still it illustrates that revenue is the driver for the application decisions made by apple. You're kidding yourself (or are a major apple fanboi, I appreciate you say you're not :)) if you believe otherwise.

Take an objective look at the situation and read the industry news and you'll understand :thumb:

I appreciate what you are saying, But my friend has never been wrong so far. :thumb:
Also he's not a support drone he deals with the software and hardware development team and then passes on training packages to the rest of the business. :)

Edd
15-06-11, 10:50 AM
Yes as per Jenson's post. Depends how messy you want to get?
I ain't going to bother now tbh lol

Tried putting cydia on last night, phone was fooked for at least a hour after lol

So it already got messy

JensonLEI
15-06-11, 11:01 AM
I ain't going to bother now tbh lol

Tried putting cydia on last night, phone was fooked for at least a hour after lol

So it already got messy

That's the easiest bit lol :S

Edd
15-06-11, 11:08 AM
I need a step by step guide how to intstall cydia, if you can help ? :)

I'm running 4.3.3 software

JensonLEI
15-06-11, 11:47 AM
I need a step by step guide how to intstall cydia, if you can help ? :)

I'm running 4.3.3 software

I'll pm you mate

Edd
15-06-11, 03:39 PM
Cheers for the pm Jenson I'll give that a go

+rep

adam c
15-06-11, 06:55 PM
Search "skyfire" in the app store,it's a web browser which allows flash on the iPhone.

JensonLEI
15-06-11, 07:45 PM
Search "skyfire" in the app store,it's a web browser which allows flash on the iPhone.

Its a paid app but when he jailbreaks he can download for free...

Southie
15-06-11, 08:02 PM
Besides p0rn what are you needing flash for because I never really need flash tbh lol

Stuart
16-06-11, 12:09 PM
I need/want flash for watching peppa pig and other cartoons on the channel 5 website, I also like using the 4od stuff etc.... the lack of flash support is pretty much the sole reason I'd get a playbook over an ipad.

HMTL5 simply looks like javascripting thats been tarted up and wont cope with doing flash style things (willing to be corrected but thats how I saw it in tutorials etc)

Edd
16-06-11, 01:05 PM
Besides p0rn what are you needing flash for because I never really need flash tbh lol
The main reason is so I can watch F1 on BBC website whilst I'm on shift instead of watching green dots go round the track on the F1 app lol

phazer
16-06-11, 01:53 PM
HMTL5 simply looks like javascripting thats been tarted up and wont cope with doing flash style things (willing to be corrected but thats how I saw it in tutorials etc)

Sort of. It does offer a lot of the features available via Silverlight or Flash but I certainly don't believe the 'flash killer' camp. That said HTML5 looks like it might make web design for multi device use easier, coupled with the rather good javascript libraries out there it's popularity will only grow.

Stuart
16-06-11, 02:16 PM
Silverlight is even more of a virus than VB is lol

I had a play and HTML5 was great for making shapes etc with ease

phazer
16-06-11, 10:18 PM
Yup, you'll notice I made no comment on whether I like any of those technologies ;) lol