View Full Version : 1.6 nova gte f13 driveshaft fitting problems

BenH
13-06-11, 09:56 PM
Ok i have to admit defeat on this one, iv searched on here (17 pages god damm!) and and read the haynes and cant find anything!

I thought itd be a case of just hitting the driveshaft/cv joint into here
http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx312/BenHandley/IMG_06981.jpg

but... shouldnt there be splines in here, i cant figure out how the shaft is going to turn?

so a few thoughts that i have

*my box is in gear so would this effect anything? i havnt managed to get it into neutral yet but havnt had a proper fiddle

*when i did my first start i thought it was in neutral but it wasn't so has bits dropped into the box? if so can i get into the box without splitting it from the block

*when you put your finger into the hole pictured theres a cog either side on both sides that you can turn and on the driverside one theres a cog you can move along a shaft if you understand? ie when you turn the engine by hand the cog slides left or right like a spirit level does so does it need to be in a certain position before fitting the shaft

*when you put the drivers-side shaft in it seems as if its hitting the diff pin so this would mean the oil seal wouldnt mate up to the cv seal?

its all confusing as theres so many possibilities but if i missing the splines then theres no point peeing about trying to get the shafts in anyway

im 99 percent sure i have the right shafts but how many splines should i have for the 1,6 with f13 box? will check tommorow how many i have but think its 22

Any help/pointers would be great, i have never really done anything on a gearbox before and its all in an old mini so im used to messing around with mini engines so its all new to me. sorry about all the questions in one but its all to do with the same problem

losing sleep on this one if i cant sort it!
Thanks

Ben

BenH
13-06-11, 10:00 PM
oh pants judt read i need 15 posts for my image to show. so pretty useless untill you can see the picture, sorry folks

tommy8252
13-06-11, 10:10 PM
Pics of the shafts would help to but if you have one cv with splines on (hub side) and the other cv should have curved lines on it. You should put the cv with the curved lines in the gearbox, put it in straight and give it a good shove till you hear a click. Then its in properly.

BenH
13-06-11, 10:21 PM
Cheers Tommy i have this picture, would of helped if i took one from above so i could also count the splines but i didnt!

this is the end im trying to hit into the gearbox,tbh i gave it quite a good few smacks hence why i thought i was hitting the diff pin
http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx312/BenHandley/IMG_06971.jpg

So does the top picture look ok to you, like its all there aha!

tommy8252
13-06-11, 10:33 PM
Yeah that's the right end and all looks good. Try putting it in and putting the over end in the hub and pushing the hub towards the box that way you can see if the shaft is going in straight. If it doesn't work turn the shaft a bit and try again, keep going untill it pops in.

BenH
13-06-11, 10:44 PM
Cheers Tommy at least that gives me something to try tommorow as i didnt try turning it.

next and last question, you see the pin you can see in the top picture, looking into the box,if i turn the engine by hand a cog on that moves/slided left or right with gravity (car in gear) will this all sort itself out once the shaft are in and engine run etc
I try what you said and come back tommorow and let you know how i get on as i might just be causing you a sore head for no reason!

thanks agin

Ben

tommy8252
13-06-11, 11:12 PM
Yeah once the shafts are in the free play will be taken up.

garyc
14-06-11, 06:48 AM
that looks like the outer diff half has moved round. Worst case scenario is that it has dropped out the diff. Drop the diff cover plate and see what you can see. you may have to push the outer diff drives round so you can push in the shaft.

BenH
15-06-11, 09:53 AM
that looks like the outer diff half has moved round. Worst case scenario is that it has dropped out the diff. Drop the diff cover plate and see what you can see. you may have to push the outer diff drives round so you can push in the shaft.

yup opened up the diff housing and the two splined diff cogs fell straight out, took a while to get them back in and alligned up properly and a sore cheekbone as one fell out on me aha! but shaft are all in now and turning :)

Thanks guys!