PDA

View Full Version : Common oil leak locations?

Onslaught
27-06-03, 06:28 PM
Hey, does anyone know where the most common places that oil leaks develop in the engine of a 1.2 merit? or in nova engines all together?

Ive just noticed that when i attempt to start my car (and fail - im not sure why yet) a fair few drops of oil appear under the engine area, dripping of where the clutch housing is. Now i know its not the clutch and that is the lowest point for the oil to drop off, but im not sure where the oil leak could be.

Im aiming to degrease/oil the engine as its a bit dirty just now to find the area, but general locations would be a good start please :)

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Dicko
27-06-03, 06:34 PM
sump gasket)right at the bottom)
rocker cover gasket (right at ther top)
inner crank seal (between gearbox/engine, b4stard to get at)
outer crank seal (underneath bottom crank pulley on cam belt)

if you clean it all off and cant see wheres its coming from its gonna be that crank seal. and unless its a bad leak i wud leave it !!

Alex
27-06-03, 06:50 PM
oil filter

dave.gsi
27-06-03, 07:33 PM
and sump plug washer

mattcogg
27-06-03, 11:03 PM
My leaks as well and I can't locate it. Changed the rocker cover, taken out gearbox for crankshaft oil seal and it wasn't that! Changed sump plug which only leaves sump gasket! Can the oil filter leak? If I were you check around the rocker if the engine is clean you should easily be able to tell! Work down the engine if there is oil any higher then the sump then it's got to be something else. My money is on the sump!

Good luck

Matt :D :D :D

Onslaught
28-06-03, 03:22 PM
Thanks guys, i had a word with a college m8 the other day and he also suggested the sump being bolloxed, so ill have a look at the first and work from there.

Thanks For the Help

mikeoxford
29-06-03, 11:10 PM
My leaks as well and I can't locate it. Changed the rocker cover, taken out gearbox for crankshaft oil seal and it wasn't that! Changed sump plug which only leaves sump gasket! Can the oil filter leak? If I were you check around the rocker if the engine is clean you should easily be able to tell! Work down the engine if there is oil any higher then the sump then it's got to be something else. My money is on the sump!

Good luck

Matt :D :D :D

yes oil filters can leak - if there overtightened and you wreck the rubber ring.

undertightened there just loose and no seal between them.

another place for oil leak is on the black of some blocks is an oil sender by the starter motor - i know it has on both the 1.6 units ive used :lol: