PDA

View Full Version : T-Cut or Autoglym?

AW3K
27-06-03, 11:32 AM
I've been using autoglym paint renovator all week trying to blend out the faded bits where the graphics were but it's taking ages.

Is T-Cut better?

Cheers

AW3K

Jim
27-06-03, 11:41 AM
What colour is your car?

It took a while for my graphics to dissapear, but my paintwork was in pretty good condition so you could barely see any sign of them after I washed and waxed the car.

T-cut takes paint off, think Autoglym is more friendly towards your paintwork.

Jim

SKoob
27-06-03, 11:42 AM
T-Cut is fine aslong as u wax it over with a polish afetr, otherwise the paint dullens quicly

AW3K
27-06-03, 11:49 AM
The car is Nordic blue

www.aw3k.co.uk/car

RobHardyUK
27-06-03, 12:04 PM
I myself have never had trouble with t-cut, but u have a silver car, so not as blatent to tell if its dulling i guess.

Fester
27-06-03, 12:17 PM
as slimjim says t-cut and autoglym polishes do different jobs.

t-cut takes a fine layer of paint 'off' i.e. oxidised paintwork whereas normal polishes and waxes i.e. autoglym resin wax condition what is there

Tilly
27-06-03, 01:19 PM
i agree with fester.

autoglym is a polish "wax"

t-cut is more abrassive to restore a colour

Ben (lurk75)
27-06-03, 05:34 PM
Wash your car well

Use T cut to renovate the paint work

then use Auto Glym to make the Paint stand out.

Go carefull with T cut, put on one panel then the next then clean off the first then add to the third then remove the second etc etc

Bit like this...

Add........ 1-2-3-4-5
Remove...--1-2-3-4-5

Fergie_sfc
27-06-03, 07:54 PM
use G3 rubbing compound, my car was wel faded, had white in some places when i first got it. now it shines like a new pin.

should be able to get it from most car shops, fink you can get it in halfords.

only bout ?5 for a tube, have to rub wel hard though.

fergie.

Ian
27-06-03, 07:56 PM
some people need to read the first post, hes not using autoglym resin polish but using autoglym paint restorer which sounds like an autoglym version of t cut :roll:

Fester
27-06-03, 08:28 PM
i read the post perfectly i just thought it would be appropriate for a general post on the differeces between a polish and a cutting agent

maybe

CP
28-06-03, 01:43 AM
Forget "T" Cut - its way too abrasive. It is ultimately damaging to your paint cos it takes a lot too much off.

You shud try mopping. Its much better so long as you have a decent depth of paint to start off with. If you go to a professional automotive paint supplier they will supply an on and an off mop to go on an angle grinder complete with a velcro base thingey. They will also supply a much finer mopping compound - summink like the Farecla products. This is what the professional paint shops use to finish with and the key is the actual buffing action of the mop. It takes a lot of work but its worth it - you can remove imperfections and even orange peel with it

ade
29-06-03, 11:46 PM
I agree with CP - mopping is the best option - however if you have no experience of mopping I'd goto a body shop - simply because if you stay in one place too long you can "burn" the paint (where the friction of the mop spinning causes it to heat up and melt making masty swirling lines).

If yer trying to hide the bright blue area where the badge was coz the rear has faded wash fully, then use sommut like Farcela G3 light rubbing compound on the non shiney area, then polish off (dont apply too much and dont rub too hard) - then reseal with Super Resin Polish.

T cuts too hard and isnt as good as it used to be.

You may also find using a colour tinted wax a good way of restaining the area - it works by impregnating the top layers of paint with a colour stain - you then seal with autoglym. Dont need a perfect blue match - it's subtle enuff to match - good for small areas like kight scratches and faded bits.

If youve been rubbing all weekend I think you may have removed too much paint - which means that the layers left are too thin - you may find that more cutting and polishing will eventually make the paint so thin you can see the primer through the paint (goes light blue and patchy)

Ade