PDA

View Full Version : pc problems

shanehandley
27-06-03, 10:49 AM
the pc is running really slow and dont no why?
and since its been running slow everytime you go to shut down the computer it frezzes!

does anyone no wot this could be?

SKoob
27-06-03, 11:01 AM
what opertaing system u using? try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete and seeing what u got running, if its windows 98, u just need Explorer and Systray, shud find ur comps alot faster then

Nova Modder
27-06-03, 11:18 AM
Download and run Adaware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

make sure you have more than 500mb of space... more space the better really.. i try to keep it above a gb

and finally, get yourself a 256mb stick of ddr ram

that should fix everything

the adaware removes all the crappy spyware that slows the comp down.

shanehandley
27-06-03, 11:22 AM
its windows 1998, when i press contral,alt delete it comes up with the list of all the programs how do you delet the ones you dont need?

Nova Modder
27-06-03, 11:41 AM
close everything except Explorer and System Tray

RobHardyUK
27-06-03, 12:06 PM
and finally, get yourself a 256mb stick of ddr ram

Check you have a DDR compliant board first! i am guessing your computer mayb older, as newer comps dnt do this so often, so in which case ur board prob wont have DDR slots.

Nova Modder
27-06-03, 12:07 PM
lol oh yeah :p

otherwise getyourself a stick of 512mb SDram 166mhz

( costs about the same as 256 of DDR )

RobHardyUK
27-06-03, 12:08 PM
close everything except Explorer and System Tray

Virus Scanners? MSN? (Optional, but if you remove it, obviously everytime you turn on the computer you are going to have to start it via the start menu. Sometimes I just find a whole clean install is best.

Nova Modder
27-06-03, 12:11 PM
all it does is close em... everything will open back up again nex time he restarts

but doin this he will be using minimal resources, ad be able to track down the source of the slow down.. and also see how much crud has clutterd up his startup

but yeah, the awnser to every problem with windoze..

Re-format Re-install

LiD0N
29-06-03, 04:21 PM
backup all your files and format your c then reinstall windows cant beat a clean instal!