PDA

View Full Version : Engine wiring hiding

Pete
11-06-11, 10:08 AM
Been wanting to hide the engine wiring for a while now but don't know where to start, Ive seen slot of people do it and it looks great,
Will I have to extend any cables? Ive been told I can run some under the wings but whether that's correct or not I have no idea.

If anyone can shed some light on this then it would be great, or even some WIP pictures

Ben
11-06-11, 10:39 AM
yeah to hide them all properly you just want to extend it and run it underneath the wings etc, your imagination is the best way to do this, go to a scrapyard or buy a spare loom off ebay and then you can extend the wires with like for like coloured wires rather than labeling everyone each time or doing 1 at a time.

Iain
11-06-11, 10:43 AM
Bay wiring is easy to hide, through the wing and tucked under the slam panel.

Engine wiring itself will depend on what engine you have fitted.

wwmnw
11-06-11, 12:46 PM
For mine there was a hole cut at the end of the scuttle bay and another one cut where the slam panel meets the inner arch and the wires are hidden behind the wing then under the slam panel (obviously these are the wires for the headlights etc)

The engine wires I was going to cut a hole in the bulkhead and run the wires around the battery and out through said hole, but after seeing (I cant remember who's idea this was) someone had cut a hole in the black cover that's used for the lhd/rhd conversion and run the wires through there, I'm now stealing that idea.

Iain
11-06-11, 12:49 PM
There enough clearance for that wwmnw? I thought the brake pedal sat quite close to that when depressed (may be wrong tho)

wwmnw
11-06-11, 12:51 PM
I think that was covered in the lads thread, cant for the ****ing life of me remember who it is:cry:

craig green
11-06-11, 01:06 PM
Best to tackle certain aspects 1 by 1 IMO. Only lengthen & modify wires if you are confident with your skills & test everything as you go.

I would start by rmoving the car loom from the fr end, headlights/horn/fan wiring etc. Clean the exposed panels & components as you go & then set about relocating it & lengthening the wires. As said before, its worth getting some GM loom wire from a scrapped donor car so it can all be matched up with the same wire. Heat shrink all soldered joins & make sure its all safely joined.

Post up your pics.

Benn
11-06-11, 01:15 PM
As said, the light loom (pass side loom) is easy. Get a 2nd loom cut it off where it enters the car. Plug it all in and run it under the slam panel thru in to the inner wing and back in to the bulk head or in to the car by the side repeater wiring hole, when you come to the end of the loom, get your cars loom and join the two. Colour for colour, all sealed up nice.

Engine loom is more tricky.

It's easy with the engine out, but the main loom you can run thru the bulk head almost behind the alt, so it's tucked away as poss. Or as some one did thru the black plate on the braking bar, afm loom you can extend then run thru the inner wing so it come out by the headlight, cts and temp wires can be run the same but will need to be extended. Crank sensor will reach, run it down thru the steering arm hole down the inner wing and in to the bay there.

Be very careful when/if you extend screened wires. As you can screw them up.

Loads of pics in my build thread Some below..

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1213417&postcount=1077