PDA

View Full Version : changing a rear exhaust

marc69
10-06-11, 11:23 PM
the rear exhaust went on my SR last week. I have changed plenty rear boxes on cars (including Novas) so tonight after work I thought I'd pop out for 15 minutes and change it for the new one I bought.

Jacked up, took the bracket off, tried twisting...no movement. Means I'll have to split the flange so jack higher, axle stands, hammer and screwdrivers here we go.

2 hours later, a lot of swearing and hammering (the box is pretty twisted now) and it still won't seperate! Gave up, decided I will go down to budget/kwik fit tomorrow and see if they will take it off for me. Never had this before, and if it wasn't so frustrating, it would be funny, defeated by a back box! (my neighbours must have had a laugh watching me though)

Just thought I'd let off some steam by sharing my frustration over the simplist thing with you.

ryansnova
10-06-11, 11:42 PM
my backbox was really hard to get off too and it was rotten so that made mine even harder to get off lol

mk1nova_rich
10-06-11, 11:45 PM
Angle grinder and cutting disc

marc69
10-06-11, 11:47 PM
Angle grinder and cutting disc

I think I will need to investment in these for the next time.

nova_saloon
11-06-11, 12:08 AM
every nova ive had to take the original back box off of i had to really struggle just like you did. but i gave it the ole grunt and ffffffuuuu

marc69
11-06-11, 12:15 AM
I have never been bet by one before, always managed, I am sure it is just a really bad (and rotten) one and nothing to do with me getting older and shorter tempered!

tommy8252
11-06-11, 10:24 AM
Gas axe FTW

swedge
11-06-11, 01:46 PM
do what i do lol, jack it up and lie under the car and kick the **** out of it lol

marc69
11-06-11, 05:14 PM
Took it to kwik fit, the guy heated it up, told me I would never shift it without as the inside of the joint was full of paste. I think he was amused at how bashed and hammered it was with my attempts!

All sorted and quiet now!

Let's see what goes wrong next.......

brainsnova
11-06-11, 07:39 PM
If you own a nova you should have a grinder lol

ryansnova
11-06-11, 08:14 PM
If you own a nova you should have a grinder lol

and a welder with plenty wire and gas :thumb:

brainsnova
11-06-11, 08:41 PM
and a welder with plenty wire and gas :thumb: