PDA

View Full Version : Smooth Engine bay anyone??

krobinson
26-06-03, 08:20 PM
I'm not gonna post complete pics of the car, cos its just a normal nova shell in primer, so not very interesting. But here's a pic of the smooth engine bay.

Dont worrie, it wont crack, theres enough weld and strengthning plates below to rebuild the titanic!

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/psc/imageup/1056655078__smooth.jpg

What you's think?

Thats the first coat of primer, its just to see any flaws in the shell, and its getting another 2 coats before it gets any colour.

Keith

_Ben_
26-06-03, 08:53 PM
Different I'll give it that.

I'm guessing thats filler? Why wont it crack? The metal underneath will still flex wont it?

Finished article will be interesting!

krobinson
26-06-03, 08:55 PM
its metal welded in to give it the main shape, then fiberglass, then a little but of filler. The guys done it before to a few mag featured golfs and they never cracked after years of abuse... :D

_Ben_
26-06-03, 08:59 PM
Sweet. I think I've seen a post from you before, did you mention that the underside is being done? Any pics of that would be good ;)

krobinson
26-06-03, 09:03 PM
I decided against stripping and painting the inner arches, as i wanted to use the car a bit more than just shows, i wanna enjoy it. And painted inner arches wouldnt be much use if it gets used too much!

Keith

mikeoxford
26-06-03, 09:38 PM
i like it!

and i know your right and ill be wrong but id be sceptical about it cracking also!!!

krobinson
26-06-03, 09:44 PM
I'm sceptical too mate, very. But the guy thats doing it assures me that it wont.

Oh well, if it does, i'll be straight back up2 him and he'll be fixing it somehow..lol

Keith

dave.gsi
26-06-03, 11:11 PM
if its good quality fibreglass, nice and thick, a skim of filler over the top is unlikely to crack. filler only craks if you have thick wedges of the stuff. you'd be surprised how much it can flex

dave.gsi
26-06-03, 11:12 PM
almost forget......looks sweet :D

RobHardyUK
26-06-03, 11:19 PM
I'm not gonna post complete pics of the car, cos its just a normal nova shell in primer, so not very interesting. But here's a pic of the smooth engine bay.

Dont worrie, it wont crack, theres enough weld and strengthning plates below to rebuild the titanic!

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/psc/imageup/1056655078__smooth.jpg

What you's think?

Thats the first coat of primer, its just to see any flaws in the shell, and its getting another 2 coats before it gets any colour.

Keith

y in the bottom hand corner has it got peugeot sport club :o

simon@novaheaven
27-06-03, 09:48 AM
they have a picture uploader on there site i think.

Jim
27-06-03, 10:04 AM

Heheh, So I guess you'r not going for speed with that amount of weight at the front ;) :lol:

Looks really good. Can't believe you're getting your car re-sprayed again, it looked mint as it was :D

Keep the pics coming

Jim

Fester
27-06-03, 11:16 AM
looking wicked never seen it before

Ste_Nova
27-06-03, 01:52 PM
is your car a 1.0???

also are you gonna shave the slam?

wisewood
27-06-03, 01:55 PM
i really like it - will look much better than just spraying over the engine bay as it is...

however like jim says - gonna be a bit heavy.

Rick Draper
27-06-03, 03:49 PM
Been the sceptical type i recon it will crack, i mean a dub is welded together not tacked together like a nova :lol: If it does not crack it will be sweet but i dont hold much hope. Rick

Ben (lurk75)
27-06-03, 05:26 PM
Looks good.

Fiberglass should hold, there is normally a little flex in it.

All depends what engine your going for???

krobinson
27-06-03, 10:15 PM
is your car a 1.0???

It was a 1.2i. However i'm putting in a nice clean, fully rebuilt 1.3SR. What do you mean by shave the slam? what would this do?

Any suggestions for making the wireing look tidy are welcome. I wont be hideing them behind the inner wings tho.

Karl Rowntree did something simaliar with his engine bay, smoothed it with fiberglass and a skim of fillers, so far its still mint, and he's running quite a powerful 2.0L 16v!. Fillers is very flexable! when my brother smashed his corsa with a smooth boot, the boot bent an incredable amount and didnt even show signs of a hairline crack.

Keith

Karl's engine bay
http://www.novalution.co.uk/images/16vconv.jpg

?Marty?
28-06-03, 01:17 AM
That looks mint!

My engine bay is so black and covered with shite, you can't even see the engine! :lol:

dave.gsi
28-06-03, 01:48 AM
that does look pretty sweet, looks so much better with the wires out of the way, think halve the problem is fixed by ditching the fuel injection and converting to carbs ie in the pix

mikeoxford
30-06-03, 01:07 AM
that does look pretty sweet, looks so much better with the wires out of the way, think halve the problem is fixed by ditching the fuel injection and converting to carbs ie in the pix

and hiding them in the wings

Jules
30-06-03, 02:45 PM

and hiding them in the wings

Hide the carbs in the wings?
:o
Good for cold airflow I suppose..........
:roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dave.gsi
30-06-03, 03:17 PM
lol :lol:

that i'd like to see

Sid
30-06-03, 03:36 PM
has anyone ever heard of Acrylon??
Its an Acrylic Filler ...like lycra, allows a little flex. And when painted with hardeners etc (as normal), it should be ok.

I'm thinking of using abit of that stuff.

Ste_Nova
30-06-03, 03:40 PM
is your car a 1.0???

It was a 1.2i. However i'm putting in a nice clean, fully rebuilt 1.3SR. What do you mean by shave the slam? what would this do?

bin the 1.0 alt clerance resess.... to shave the slam plate all the holes in the front panel

krobinson
30-06-03, 09:01 PM
Ah, i see the alt recess now. I think it could be too late now, but it wont be very obvious as its low down.

I'm sitting here wondering how or if i should hide the wires.. its to be finished on friday and its been near 4 months, i dont really wanna delay it anymore :?

Sid
01-07-03, 05:48 PM
I know exactly what you mean Keith!!
I wanna have mine like yours, but aint gonna...cos it would take me more time.