PDA

View Full Version : arp rod bolts?????

Damo
07-06-11, 07:42 PM
Can you reuse the arp con-rod bolts or are they stretch bolts as a mate has offered me some for my XE for free has his lets in bits i know id have to grind the cap down to accomadate them but would like to know if they can be reused.

Damo.

Royston
07-06-11, 07:52 PM
Yes, I believe they are (definitely on my 1.3SB engine)

Damo
07-06-11, 08:03 PM
Yes, I believe they are (definitely on my 1.3SB engine)

So there stretch bolts damn' thought i was on to a freebie.

Royston
07-06-11, 08:52 PM
So there stretch bolts damn' thought i was on to a freebie.

Sorry, I meant to say they are reuseable...not stretch, my bad:tard:

Royston
07-06-11, 08:53 PM
Yes, I believe they are not stretch bolts(definitely on my 1.3SB engine

Sorry for the error:roll:

Lee H
07-06-11, 09:12 PM
They are meant to be reusable but you are meant to measure how much they have stretched before using them again to see if they are still in tolerance.

Damo
07-06-11, 09:39 PM
They are meant to be reusable but you are meant to measure how much they have stretched before using them again to see if they are still in tolerance.

Ok ill have a search to find out what the tolerances are then.

Also what about the cutouts on the rod-cap will these have to be machined to allow them to fit.

Lee H
07-06-11, 09:56 PM
The caps just need a really small countersink with a drill to ensure the ARP bolt head sits flush against the cap.

Damo
07-06-11, 10:04 PM
The caps just need a really small countersink with a drill to ensure the ARP bolt head sits flush against the cap.

Ah so just the bolt hole needs a little counter sink with a drillbit i though you have to have the surface of the cap machined for some reason lol.

+Rep lee for the help mate.

Damo.

Lee H
07-06-11, 10:08 PM
Correct. You only need to touch it with the countersink. Can hardly tell mine had been done.

I have fitted some without before I knew this and didn't have a problem but better to be safe than sorry with something like that!

jonn
07-06-11, 10:10 PM
this picture should help
http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Info_sheets/ROD_BOLTS/rod_bolts1.gif

Damo
07-06-11, 10:16 PM
Correct. You only need to touch it with the countersink. Can hardly tell mine had been done.

I have fitted some without before I knew this and didn't have a problem but better to be safe than sorry with something like that!

Apsolutley mate thanks for the info.

Damo
07-06-11, 10:17 PM
this picture should help
http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Info_sheets/ROD_BOLTS/rod_bolts1.gif

Thanks jonn top pic +rep.