PDA

View Full Version : On the Move

Jack
07-06-11, 08:06 AM
In an effort to get people more active at work (remember this is an american company and you know what they're like lol) we've all been given pedometers to measure how many steps we take in a day. We can then track this via an online tool, set targets, form teams and compete for prizes and what not.

As part of the blurb that came out with this, there's a "conversion list" that covers other activities that you may not want to (or be able to) wear the pedometer for. Example, soccer (:roll:) is 137 steps a minute, vigourous swimming is 197 a minute, etc.

Also on this list are other such handy conversions:

Coaching, 78 steps per minute (not sure if what you're coaching makes a difference)
Cooking/Food prep, 49 steps per minute (again, not sure if what you're cooking makes a difference)
Cross country hiking, 118 steps per minute (should the pedometer not capture this?!)
Fencing, 118 steps per minute (erecting or sparring? lol)
Fishing, 59 steps per minute
Fishing from shore, 69 steps per minute (why is it more? Do you have to keep running back from the tide?!)
General House Cleaning (Vigorous Effort), 59 steps per minute (what about light effort, lazy effort or can't-be-bothered-at-all effort?)
Hunting, 98 steps per minute (wonder if they'll let me do this in the office)
Lawn bowling, 59 steps per minute
Lawn mowing, 108 steps per minute (apparently its better to cut it than to play on it)
Lawn mowing (Riding mower) 88 steps per minute (so even the lazy fecks can get some steps in)
Playing with child (light effort), 78 steps per minute (wait, its a what-meter?)
Treading water (moderate effort), 78 steps per minute
Treading water (vigorous effort), 196 steps per minute (obviously fear of drowning makes you fitter)
Ultimate Frisbee, 157 steps per minute (not just standard frisbee!)

...and the best one yet
Walking, 39 steps per minute - isn't that defying the point of the pedometer completely then?! lol

MK999
07-06-11, 08:11 AM
They all sound like bull to me, if you make as many steps fishing as you do cleaning you're either a hyperactive fisherman or a crap cleaner lol

Also who jogs/runs twice as fast behind the mower as they do when walking?!

Jeff16v
07-06-11, 08:35 AM
i hope the americans have everything sharp taken off them where you work.lol

Stuart
07-06-11, 09:33 AM
pedo-meter.... detects Calibra drivers :p

Andy
07-06-11, 09:47 AM
I'd love to know how many steps i take a day going up and down ladders all day

mowgli
07-06-11, 10:16 AM
I'd love to know how many steps i take a day going up and down ladders all day

i don't think you get on with your stepladder...

mowgli
07-06-11, 10:18 AM
jack, as its an american company, email them to ask about shagging, which is a form of beach dance on the east coast of the states.

Jack
07-06-11, 11:21 AM
pedo-meter.... detects Calibra drivers :p
I have labelled the spreadsheet to record our steps the "pedo-file" lol

DR Kauffman
07-06-11, 11:26 AM
Playing with child (light effort), 78 steps per minute (wait, its a what-meter?)

LMAO lol

mowgli
07-06-11, 11:36 AM
so is this thing gps or just a sensor that counts movements???

can't you make something out of technical lego or meccano, and leave it jigging away in the corner... or maybe attach it to one of these:

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/tq/22/166798722.jpg
the macarena monkey

mowgli
07-06-11, 11:45 AM
i could lend you one of these....

http://fixya.net/Products/W/Warner%20Brothers/177x150/caddyshack_dancing_gopher_1412983.jpg

Jack
07-06-11, 01:46 PM
LOL

Yeah, its based on movement. Its by no means amazingly accurate, but it gives a rough indication. I did consider duct taping it to one of the rabbits outside though lol

Stuart
07-06-11, 01:48 PM
does it talk back to a server wirelessly or do you have to look at the thing and type data in?

if its the later then thats a nice way to waste MOD money lol

Jack
07-06-11, 01:54 PM
I'm not MOD anymore, just a decadent capitalist contractor scum on a massively inflated-cost long term contract to said large american company :d

Its not wireless or anything that fancy, just has a motion sensor inside (if you shake it you can feel it, oo-er lol) and LCD display

Stuart
07-06-11, 01:56 PM
I'm not MOD anymore, just a decadent capitalist contractor scum on a massively inflated-cost long term contract to said large american company :d

Its not wireless or anything that fancy, just has a motion sensor inside (if you shake it you can feel it, oo-er lol) and LCD display

Still funded by the govt in some way :p

So you have to look at the pedo-meter, log in somewhere and note down the numbers..... ossum waste of time and money lol

mowgli
07-06-11, 02:23 PM
stick it on one of those annoying newtons balls desk toys.... & let gravity do the rest

Jack
07-06-11, 05:40 PM
Still funded by the govt in some way :p
Most things are these days lol

So you have to look at the pedo-meter, log in somewhere and note down the numbers..... ossum waste of time and money lol
Very much so, but its not a patch on some of the other epic wastage that goes on :d

mowgli
07-06-11, 05:45 PM
Very much so, but its not a patch on some of the other epic wastage that goes on :d

do you mean wales?

Lee
07-06-11, 05:58 PM
So Boeing think people use 20 more steps worth of energy a minute fishing than they do actually walking?

I'm never getting on one of their planes again!

Stuart
07-06-11, 06:01 PM
Sitting perfectly still doing nothing, 100 Steps per minute