PDA

View Full Version : Aerocatch FAKES Beware!

scott.parker
06-06-11, 10:53 AM
Just been searching ebay, and it seams some fake/counterfeit ones are being made in china, so if your one of the fools who's bidding on them ebay back out now!
As new there only worth £5! not the £40-50 some are bidding upto..

Ebay fakes (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aerocatch-Bonnet-Pins-Flush-Fit-Carbon-Track-Locking-/150614550049?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item231153a621)

See this website for examples, and what NOT to buy..

http://www.coastfab.com/aerocatch_counterfeit.html

So keep your wits about you, and only buy gen stuff, as there meant to be good for a reason, but if you can get the cheep ones for cheep by all means try them on a boot lid etc, but not bonnets!

Admin/mods, Might it be worth stickying this??

Scott

General Baxter
06-06-11, 10:57 AM
****ing china, will make anything lol

mowgli
06-06-11, 10:57 AM
so, not only do they do feck all towards making your car go faster, they are dodgy chinese knockoffs.....

as opposed to genuine items that do feck all towards making your car go faster, but are actually made by subcontractors in china for a western company..and cost 1000% more

General Baxter
06-06-11, 10:59 AM
we have clone (chinasoft)aegs from china,
i brought one of these las week

£100 brand new, the HK made one is well over £270,
my god wish i saved my cash lol
internals are good tho :)

Paul
06-06-11, 11:12 AM
No problem with sticking them on a bonnet, theyre not exactly going to come undone? I would happily use them a £5 a go instead of the £40 aerocatches are, had i not bought all mine last year.

Maka
06-06-11, 11:12 AM
Haha they'll replicate anything them buggers...

mowgli
06-06-11, 11:29 AM
Haha they'll replicate anything them buggers...

THEY MAKE THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE...

Jack
06-06-11, 11:32 AM
Was gonna say, a lot of that kinda stuff is made there originally lol

All the HID kits I've seen are exactly the same, they're all made in China. The only difference is UK ones have different stickers (without the chinglish lol) on the ballasts, although in one case you could see the original chinglish sticker underneath! ~£100 extra for some stickers, hmmmm lol

mowgli
06-06-11, 11:51 AM
this is just the tuning world in general.....

people pay vast amounts of money for things that are, a lot of the time, just std components in a snazzy box.., then they chuck the box away...

scott.parker
06-06-11, 12:24 PM
NO Mowgli, on this item i will disagree, as if you have looked on that link on the site it's clear there is, and will be a difference in them, and i would not trust some cheep crap to hold my bonnet down at 120+mph!

It's not about making it go fast,its about securing your bonnet SAFELY, the normally alloy ones i have and many use are not TUV approved, and you have to tape them over to use your car on the ring.

Scott

steviegsi
06-06-11, 12:29 PM
we have clone (chinasoft)aegs from china,
i brought one of these las week

Where did you bring it to?:wtf: :p :d

DW-Nova
06-06-11, 12:54 PM
They're all made in China anyhow, I'd certainly buy the cheapo one's! They're probably made in the same factory lol. People wouldn't believe what they make in China now and the incredible vast quantities too. The amount of copy's and fakes they are producing is mind boggling also! Some obviously not so good but some things aren't too bad at all.

scott.parker
06-06-11, 01:15 PM
Yeah if you can buy them for say £5 then get them to fit bumpers, boots etc but not your bonnet!

16v Nova Kev
06-06-11, 01:31 PM
MR parker i think you are the new ebay police.

mowgli
06-06-11, 01:33 PM
i've been reporting every ebay bull sh!tter i can recently.... one bloke was trying to sell an old manta cih engine as redtop/cavalier/astra/corsa/nova,

the last cavalier it fitted was in 1981

swedge
06-06-11, 01:34 PM
the best ive seen was mowglis post about the wheel nut sellers haha

16v Nova Kev
06-06-11, 01:35 PM
i missed that one lol. ebay dont care imo

Edd
06-06-11, 01:39 PM
eBay needs a fooking sort out big time

Nove stuff always has 'gte/sr/gsi/rare/sport/redtop/complete crap' in the listing ffs :roll:

You can't search for stuff without pages of crap coming up

mowgli
06-06-11, 01:44 PM
i just keep reporting them in the hope that somebody cares... i used to just message the seller telling them they were wrong and giving them the chance to change the listing, but just got abuse... usually from idiots selling 1.2 carb tanks as gte tanks etc..

just found this gem... (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NOVA-ASTRA-MK2-SRI-16v-GSI-TURBO-V6-INNER-WING-BOLT-SET-/150615209960?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item23115db7e8)its funny, but i never thought my wing bolts were rusty, maybe i should scrap app that paint off & look

DW-Nova
06-06-11, 01:49 PM
It sounds like some of you have too much spare time on your hands :roll:

mowgli
06-06-11, 01:57 PM
NO Mowgli, on this item i will disagree, as if you have looked on that link on the site it's clear there is, and will be a difference in them, and i would not trust some cheep crap to hold my bonnet down at 120+mph!

It's not about making it go fast,its about securing your bonnet SAFELY, the normally alloy ones i have and many use are not TUV approved, and you have to tape them over to use your car on the ring.

Scott

scott, just where do you gain from these latches?? in terms of weight, they won't be massively better than the stock latch, once the bracketry is made, ok, if you are competing, then a quick release catch is needed for safety.. but for a track day car, they look the part, and if you want, why not rig up a small check chain under the bonnet so it won't fly up?

as for the tape, if the catch isn't supposed to be any good, how does the tape fix it?

TUV is only the german version of the british standard, and there is a good chance you could get a bonnet latch thru a tuv test as a cupboard door latch. people really do believe the tuv means something fantastic, but it doesn't.

scott.parker
06-06-11, 02:00 PM
i just keep reporting them in the hope that somebody cares... i used to just message the seller telling them they were wrong and giving them the chance to change the listing, but just got abuse... usually from idiots selling 1.2 carb tanks as gte tanks etc..

just found this gem... (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NOVA-ASTRA-MK2-SRI-16v-GSI-TURBO-V6-INNER-WING-BOLT-SET-/150615209960?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item23115db7e8)its funny, but i never thought my wing bolts were rusty, maybe i should scrap app that paint off & look

PMSL that guys got some nerve. i mean who in there right mind is going to but a set of bolts just cus he says yours are ****! lol lol

And DW if you dont like it, then dont reply, simple!

16v Nova Kev
06-06-11, 02:05 PM
mowgli if you have a fb bonnet its the best way to attatch it. pretty pointless on a metal bonnet imo.

scott.parker
06-06-11, 02:07 PM
scott, just where do you gain from these latches?? in terms of weight, they won't be massively better than the stock latch, once the bracketry is made, ok, if you are competing, then a quick release catch is needed for safety.. but for a track day car, they look the part, and if you want, why not rig up a small check chain under the bonnet so it won't fly up?

as for the tape, if the catch isn't supposed to be any good, how does the tape fix it?

TUV is only the german version of the british standard, and there is a good chance you could get a bonnet latch thru a tuv test as a cupboard door latch. people really do believe the tuv means something fantastic, but it doesn't.

Mike, what I'm saying is, if you use the normal bonnet catches, like i and many have on here, there not allowed at the Nurbergring in Germany, don't ask me why they decide that something potentially sharp on your bonnet sticking up is going to hurt some one if you run them over on the ring, think its a bit late by then!! lol

BUT they require your car has flush fit, or you HAVE to gaffer tape over them to make sure nothing can be caught on them, but then thats a bit stupid to..

Soo...anyway I'm not going to argue about it, it's just the way it is.
And if your going to use the flush fit, surly your better of buying the good one's instead of spending the same money to get some **** that more then likely will just break trying to install it, or once fitted to the car..

Scott

Stuart
06-06-11, 02:14 PM
I'd wager the cheap 'fakes' (read made on the same line but not put in the mega money box) are as good (or as bad if you fancy being cynical) as the 'proper' items....

Almost everything we buy these days has come from the far east, and many of the factories simply make a few hundred more items than are ordered and then sell them on for 100% profit as the cost was covered by the OEM (read OEM as aerocatch in this case).

As for TUV and other standards that a lot of this stuff apparently adheres to, is simply a sticker made in china..... I've seen Aftermarket Bosch HID's from china, Now I know for a fact that Bosch dont make aftermarket HID kits and more importantly the TUV approval was simply a logo from the net lol

Jack
06-06-11, 02:29 PM
You can't search for stuff without pages of crap coming up
A lot of that is the ebay search being sh!t though - back in the day, it used to be that if you searched for "nova", you'd get items with "nova" in the listing title. Now you get anything that ebay considers you might be interested in. Yes Mr Ebay, thankyou for showing me that Daewoo Lanos dashboard, that is highly relevant to my interests. lol

I think they changed it because there were too many bellends who couldn't spell using it, or putting stuff in the wrong section.

As far as I'm aware the unrelated keywords thing is still a bootable offence though. But I guess it depends what you consider to be "unrelated"

jonn
06-06-11, 02:34 PM
my bonnet catches opened up on me before but luckily it did not hit the windscreen. if i was going on track i would cable tie the bonnet catches just in case they decide to open at 100mph.

pic of my damage... not to bad
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/jonny057/Picture021.jpg

mowgli
06-06-11, 03:51 PM
Almost everything we buy these days has come from the far east, and many of the factories simply make a few hundred more items than are ordered and then sell them on for 100% profit as the cost was covered by the OEM (read OEM as aerocatch in this case).

a chinese factory got into a touch of bother for this very reason... they had a contract to make nissan cabstars for the chinese market with a local badge.. ok, no problem, so far... but they started sticking nissan badges on them & selling them in other countries.... so there were knock off 5t pickups being sold to people who thought they were genuine nissan......oopsy

Stuart
06-06-11, 04:19 PM
Odds on they only got fined £20K or something petty :) "Whats good for China is fine to do" seems to be their motto.... Fairplay to them tbh.

craig green
06-06-11, 05:10 PM
Its important not to confuse far eastern (taiwanese/Japanese) with Korean & chinese etc. Generally Japanese/Taiwanese stuff is fine, but as has been said, the Chinese will produce anything, usually stuff that looks the part but barely functions. A place I worked had a load of stuff from China specced with stainless fasteners, odd how it all arrived rusty.

And as for ebay, I think it is just a barrage of pikey, car boot sale, knock off fake bullsh1t. I'm pretty sure the last few auctions I've bid on have been 'sniped' too.

mowgli
06-06-11, 05:21 PM
the vast majority of jap/taiwanese stuff is made in china with good quiality control, same as most german stuff is made in turkey...

craig green
06-06-11, 05:28 PM
I think the moral of the story is that if people are armed with the knowledge that counterfeit items are circulating, they have the ability to make their own decision on buying or not. Aerocatches are possibly a poor example, but I'd still be pretty disappointed upon receiving them if the packaging & instructions seemed iffy considering the premium price paid. It's even more shocking when you consider the knockoff fuel regulators listed on there. A bit more serious I'm sure you'd agree.