PDA

View Full Version : Cheap single seater experience (£60)

dhdev (Oli)
06-06-11, 09:56 AM
As in the title, Silverstone are doing a special offer at the moment for half price single seater experience. I'm sure it's not amazing and you only get 18minutes driving, but with someone elses fuel, tyres, brakes and car that's not bad value! http://www.silverstone.co.uk/experiences/driving-days/single-seater-experience/
Engine: 1600cc Ford Duratec
Power: 291bhp per tonne
0-60mph: 4.3 seconds
Top Speed: 135 mph
Transmission: Four speed manual racing gearbox
http://www.silverstone.co.uk/Global/Images/Experiences/Single%20seater/Body-Single-Seater-02.jpg

I've booked me and a mate in, reckon it could be a good laugh and always wanted to get in a single seater :)

I am in no way affiliated with Silverstone (apart from being a driving God, obviously)

Jim
06-06-11, 10:50 AM
If it's anything like the single seater experience I had when I was 17 it's not all that. You followed a pace car for the first few laps, then when you were let loose you were only allowed to use 3rd and 4th gear and go no higher than 4000rpm. Overtaking was limited to specific parts of the track on straights only.

Given your motorsport experience Oli I would recommend spending your £60 at Daytona in Milton Keynes for an hours karting. I think you and your mate would enjoy that much more. Even if it's just the two of you, it's still fun racing each other and you can race each other properly.

Just my opinion.

I am in no way affiliated with Daytona (apart from being more of a driving God than Oli ;))

dhdev (Oli)
06-06-11, 11:12 AM
It is following a pace car for 10mins, then 8mins of being let loose. I've done Daytona karting before, just fancied having a go in a single seater and at £60 it's cheap enough. Reckon I can easily get my £60's worth too ;)

Jim
06-06-11, 11:25 AM
Fair enough. Let us know how you get on.

wwmnw
06-06-11, 02:46 PM
I had a single seater experience once, shame I was too broad for the car :cry:

mowgli
06-06-11, 04:02 PM
for my 21st birthday, i got a day at mallory race school... i really had fun in the golf mk2 gti's (3rd & 4th gear only), and the austin mini auto test car, and the zip karts, then later on we were allowed a go in the ff1600 cars (with a bean can over the exhaust), and they were absolutely shyte. they had less go than a decent lawn tractor.. they handled like a sack of cack. i really wasn't impressed when i was trying to give it hell & the school golf gti's were passing me....

Bubba
06-06-11, 08:23 PM
I had a single seater experience once, shame I was too broad for the car :cry:

too broad is code for too many pies lol lol

wwmnw
06-06-11, 10:33 PM
too broad is code for too many pies lol lol

lol you would think so, but I was actually hunched up and couldn't really turn the wheel without my elbows bashing the sides, so I got in a Ginetta instead.

burgo
07-06-11, 10:17 PM
ive done this, the only way i would do it again is if they did separate sessions for more experienced people. the amount of times i got very close to people braking far to much. you are sorta restricted to overtaking on the straights however i ended up initiating the move coming out of corners just to get past the idiots. you will definitely enjoy it either way

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/sclurgess/single%20seater%20album/DSC02701.jpg

dhdev (Oli)
08-06-11, 09:41 AM
ive done this, the only way i would do it again is if they did separate sessions for more experienced people. the amount of times i got very close to people braking far to much. you are sorta restricted to overtaking on the straights however i ended up initiating the move coming out of corners just to get past the idiots. you will definitely enjoy it either way

I thought that'd be the case, good to hear that you enjoyed it though :d

burgo
08-06-11, 10:30 PM
oh and you have to be very firm with the box, i missed gears a few times being to gentle with it. if you dont get to top end of 4th down the back straight your a girl as well by the way lol