PDA

View Full Version : Turbo magnets, what the hell, would it work?

scott.parker
05-06-11, 11:37 AM
Now Ive just seen these on ebay, and I'm sure there just a gimmick, like the "chips" but would this really "free" molecules like they claim and make fueling more efficient?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-REAL-FUEL-SAVER-MISER-PETROL-DIESEL-LPG-GAS-/190531517879?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c5c903db7

Disscuss..

Scott

General Baxter
05-06-11, 11:56 AM
tested on mythbusters

was busted lol

c20 nva
05-06-11, 11:58 AM
lol am sure thay used them on that mythbusters and it did not work

burgo
05-06-11, 11:58 AM
yes scott, you should buy 5 sets

Bubba
05-06-11, 11:59 AM
decrease your fuel bills as well as increasing performance

those two phrases NEVER work in the same sentence lol

General Baxter
05-06-11, 12:02 PM
well for a start the fuel would have to be attacted to a megnetic field, which it is not,

i have a magnet placed on the bottom of my tank, to catch little bits, that comes from the pumps, that works lol

scott.parker
05-06-11, 12:06 PM
I didn't think so, it just does not makes sense, i thought to my self, how the hell can molecules in fuel get "clumped" together??

What bothers me most is there fake feedbacks they have on there products, surely theres some law being broken there??

Scott

General Baxter
05-06-11, 12:08 PM
could be just as bad

your doing it wrong, you need one on the water and air suply lol

http://vortexfuelsaver.com/videos_25.html

scott.parker
05-06-11, 12:08 PM
yes scott, you should buy 5 sets
piss off, i was basically asking to see if anyone had seen them before, as i just couldn't see it being a "real" product, i would buy anything like it, as i don't need it lol

scott.parker
05-06-11, 12:13 PM
could be just as bad

your doing it wrong, you need one on the water and air suply lol

http://vortexfuelsaver.com/videos_25.html

WTF, if there blatant fakes, how can they get away with it??

And if it was something that worked, all new cars would have them built in!

wwmnw
05-06-11, 12:15 PM
You just know its going to be fake when the seller has masses of text all in different colours.

scott.parker
05-06-11, 12:39 PM
lol check this, i cant believe that they cant be had by trading standards of some other authority..
Read this below, then see there website..
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/alternative-fuel/gas-mileage/1802932

THE DYNO SAYS: Both devices reduced peak horsepower by more than 10 percent. The Intake Twister increased fuel consumption by about 20 percent; the TornadoFuelSaver provided no significant change.

Here's the manufactures website
http://www.tornadoair.com/buy1/

Other forums chatting about them over the years..

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/engines-transmission/32634-fuel-saver-ebay.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/tornado-fuel-saver-real-fakei-95996.html?p=3182221

Least i was not so stupid like them, i was just curious as i had never seen them before, and wanted to see if anyone els had heard of them, i now have google enough evidence to say that anyone selling them should be prosecuted for selling fake goods..

Scott

Jack
05-06-11, 12:58 PM
I could understand magnets in/on the oil system, but as for fuel.... d'oh lol

scott.parker
05-06-11, 01:05 PM
Yeah they would just catch tiny bits of metal crud pre filter, but you would need to take the pipe off to empty it lol

mowgli
05-06-11, 01:06 PM
this quack stuff has been around since the change to unleaded in thwe mid eighties.. there was a 'catalyst' that involved some sort of 'special' ball bearings in a wire cage that was dropped in the filler neck to mimic the lead effect.....

1. it simply couldn't work as red lead was a liquid compound mixed into the fuel at the refinery stage, and petrol can't dissolve much metal...
2. all it did was rattle & clang when you went over a bump...

all of these things, from magnets, vortex intake thingies, metering devices, and my fave the boat bilge pump that looks like an electric supercharger... are simply crap. because if they worked, they would be factory fitted....

scott.parker
05-06-11, 01:12 PM
This is why i don't understand why they cant be arrested or something for selling fake goods?

mowgli
05-06-11, 01:20 PM
because they always manage the cop out of 'you haven't given it time to condition the fuel system' or the other great one 'it needs setting up by professionals to work properly'... one of these quack companies managed to get a military vehicle tested, and found huge gains, and you just know it was because the vehicle hadn't been tuned up to any reaasonable level.. as the military just want their trucks to start & run in any condition, and that is good enough for them.

General Baxter
05-06-11, 01:30 PM
what are the yanks moaning for, they still only pay £3 per gallon lol

mowgli
05-06-11, 01:41 PM
they are paying nearer 4 at the minute.....

what we need to remember is that 97+% of the population don't actually know enough about engines to understand that these things are a con...

there is a long held myth in the states about how somebody in detroit developed a 100mpg carb, but the fuel companies bought it & hid it.. this myth has been around for a very long time. its obviously rubbish... as the cars of the 50's & 60's america weighed about 2 tons & had 5 litre engines... so 20mpg was good..

scott.parker
05-06-11, 02:31 PM
what about that hydro engine??

mowgli
05-06-11, 04:16 PM
what about that hydro engine??

do you mean the car running on water that gets turned into hydrogen??

the theoretical bit works fine, but the amount of hydrogen you'd get off it wouldn't blow your hat off, the scale needed to produce hydrogen to run a car is huge, or by spending a fortune on fuel cells...

a normal engine also would need a really tight tolerance rebuild or it will blow itself to bits on hydrogen.

scott.parker
05-06-11, 04:37 PM
do you mean the car running on water that gets turned into hydrogen??

the theoretical bit works fine, but the amount of hydrogen you'd get off it wouldn't blow your hat off, the scale needed to produce hydrogen to run a car is huge, or by spending a fortune on fuel cells...

a normal engine also would need a really tight tolerance rebuild or it will blow itself to bits on hydrogen.

No this...

http://www.hydrostarguide.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rb_rDkwGnU&feature=player_embedded

mowgli
05-06-11, 07:52 PM
i think you'll find that it is exactly the thing i was on about..

the 'test' car appears to be an spi version of the cvh engine, and in the boot will be 1/2t of tank & equipment. but it will have been rebuilt & it is only using what appears to be a carb type device as used on a propane powered forklift..

did you see the enormous metal box to make something that works about the same as a cheap plumbers torch..... i reckon the reason the torch is cold is that the hydrogen is at such high pressure that as it is released, it will freeze the torch down & counteract the heat from the gas burning..

what they aren't saying is the cost of the electricity & storage of the hydrogen is the major stumbling block

paul james
05-06-11, 11:28 PM
this quack stuff has been around since the change to unleaded in thwe mid eighties.. there was a 'catalyst' that involved some sort of 'special' ball bearings in a wire cage that was dropped in the filler neck to mimic the lead effect.....

1. it simply couldn't work as red lead was a liquid compound mixed into the fuel at the refinery stage, and petrol can't dissolve much metal...
2. all it did was rattle & clang when you went over a bump..

Seems to be good money in selling these things though!:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-NOVA-RUN-95-UNLEADED-FUEL-INTANK-UNIT-/270746799638?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f09c44e16

Lee
05-06-11, 11:37 PM
decrease your fuel bills as well as increasing performance

those two phrases NEVER work in the same sentence

Of course they do, you just have to spend lots of money on a five second remap, especially on TD's.

Dars BMW has responded massively to a remap with both MPG and performance, and its purely due to the manufacturers being lazy and mapping the cars to run on all availiable fuels that are in the countries they sell their cars, therefore if BMW sell cars in Lithuania where the diesel is almost as crap as dishwater, all BM's will have a standard map which will allow them to run there as well as everywhere else.

nova_saloon
05-06-11, 11:38 PM
haha says the more you fit the more you save! Fit a hundred and you'll run the car for freeee!

Bubba
06-06-11, 12:05 AM
Of course they do, you just have to spend lots of money on a five second remap, especially on TD's.

Dars BMW has responded massively to a remap with both MPG and performance, and its purely due to the manufacturers being lazy and mapping the cars to run on all availiable fuels that are in the countries they sell their cars, therefore if BMW sell cars in Lithuania where the diesel is almost as crap as dishwater, all BM's will have a standard map which will allow them to run there as well as everywhere else.

i never think about ecu's lol i dont believe in technologies lol

mowgli
06-06-11, 08:34 AM
Seems to be good money in selling these things though!:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-NOVA-RUN-95-UNLEADED-FUEL-INTANK-UNIT-/270746799638?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f09c44e16

but all non-diesel novas run on unleaded anyway:confused: :confused: :confused:

paul james
06-06-11, 09:01 AM
but all non-diesel novas run on unleaded anyway:confused: :confused: :confused:

Ahh, so Novas must be factory fitted with bits of metal wrapped in chicken wire then lol

The same seller also offers this fabulous, errr thing:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-NOVA-SPITFIRE-MULTISPARK-BETTER-IGNITION-SPARK-/270749933835?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f09f4210b

mowgli
06-06-11, 09:06 AM
back in the eighties, when there weren't many car shows, i used to regularly see some bloke selling a multi spark device in the small stands & getting lots of interest... but i truly couldn't see then or now how making it spark loads of times will help combustion... i decent spark at the correct time is all that is needed...

looking at his feedback, its obvious that the engines are running on 'lead memory' which will last about 3-4000 miles, which is a good years worth of classic motoring, so any warranties will be void by the time the valve seats disappear...

Stuart
06-06-11, 10:00 AM

Not quite, as the different countries will have different calibrations (although the bigger issue is the fuel pumps and injectors dying with crap fuel).

What it really is, is the OEMs spend thousands and thousands of hours to get engines/cars through the NEDC for the emissions regs.... now this is what hampers power substantially.
I still dont get the efficiency hike and I worked with Derv PCM's for nearly 5 years lol

mowgli
06-06-11, 10:21 AM
stu, on certain runs, a higher hp wagon will burn way less than the same size wagon with less hp... i think its a lot to do with the route/driver though.

Stuart
06-06-11, 10:26 AM
Thats the thing, I can run the pissrat on the same run many times and get between 45 and 55mpg, very very little difference in traffic and speeds too.

General Baxter
06-06-11, 10:54 AM
stu, on certain runs, a higher hp wagon will burn way less than the same size wagon with less hp... i think its a lot to do with the route/driver though.
mike a good point mike,

my 2.2 auto omega, does better mpg then my mums 1.2 punto, doing the same trip at the same speed,

(polesworth to corly services, up and down the lanes)

i bet the v6 omega would do even better

mowgli
06-06-11, 12:04 PM
http://i.ebayimg.com/23/!CEWvS4w!2k~$(KGrHqQOKioE0rts)D40BNRlb)Knwg~~_12.J PG
this is also on the bay

i'm just not seeing how it could be run safely & with any real benefit to the engine, or the planet...

mowgli
06-06-11, 12:11 PM
then i found this...

F-16 Car /Bike ignition voltage Booster 20% Fuel saver (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/F-16-Car-Bike-ignition-voltage-Booster-20-Fuel-saver-/190511577985?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c5b5ffb81)

anyone care to tell me how this could possibly do anything except flatten the battery

Pancho
06-06-11, 01:53 PM
you want to see a major cover up? google saturn ev1.

Lee
06-06-11, 06:48 PM
Not quite, as the different countries will have different calibrations (although the bigger issue is the fuel pumps and injectors dying with crap fuel).

What it really is, is the OEMs spend thousands and thousands of hours to get engines/cars through the NEDC for the emissions regs.... now this is what hampers power substantially.
I still dont get the efficiency hike and I worked with Derv PCM's for nearly 5 years lol

Sure, obviously i'm not going to argue due to you being the mapping guru, but what i dont understand is why an engine which is getting better MPG would be over the emissions regs?

Stuart
06-06-11, 07:11 PM
Sure, obviously i'm not going to argue due to you being the mapping guru, but what i dont understand is why an engine which is getting better MPG would be over the emissions regs?

depends on a lot of things tbh.. eg they might sacrifice some fuel at cold start to get the engine/DPF upto temperature faster, accelerating 'might' get more fuel then is really needed added in order to pick up faster and get back to the eco cruise quicker etc.

Still baffles me how derv works lol

Jack
06-06-11, 07:33 PM
Still baffles me how derv works lol
Magic. Simple as that.

They're not glow plugs, they're WIZARDS

Bubba
06-06-11, 08:17 PM
Magic. Simple as that.

They're not glow plugs, they're WIZARDS

greatest. answer. ever

craig green
06-06-11, 08:40 PM
Most of these products are still on sale on the priniple that it is so hard to prove the gains (or losses) either way.

I'm off to get my money back.