PDA

View Full Version : knocking noise

RossRog
02-06-11, 09:19 AM
Basic stuff really,

this morning my car started to make a knocking noise sowing down, i jumped out checked simple stuff wheel nuts where tight etc. noise coming from drivers front wheel.

the noise got worse the further i went, it knocks more when you go faster, however when you accelerate up to 70 there is no noise it drives fine!

also makes a more distinct knock when turning right then left

my thinking it must be driveshaft, is there anything else it could be?

i'm currently using a corsa b 1.2 8v

thank you for any help!

swedge
02-06-11, 09:29 AM
does sound like loose wheel nuts but they must be fine if youvechecked them

you had a wiggle at the wheel to see if theres any play?

RossRog
02-06-11, 09:35 AM
i've wiggled it seems fine i'l check all wheel nuts again an jack it up on my lunch break, see if there is anything strange

Jack
02-06-11, 10:46 AM
When the bearings in my front hub were knackered it displayed the same symptoms

RossRog
02-06-11, 10:55 AM
ah right, wel i guess the next best step is to lift it up an see if there is any movement in the wheel an take it from there

RossRog
02-06-11, 12:11 PM
Just been underneath, no play in the hub at all, however i can move the driveshaft with my hand back an forth an it knocks!

swedge
02-06-11, 12:18 PM
you missing the circlip from your cv's? lol

RossRog
02-06-11, 12:21 PM
all seems to be fine, i text a mate he said try move the drive shaft back an forth an if it moves then that is the problem.. circlips were there i think :confused:

Tim Harpley
02-06-11, 01:57 PM
Try driving round in a circle on full lock if it makes a knocking/clicking noise its more than likely CV joint:thumb:

RossRog
02-06-11, 02:08 PM
i will do before i head off home, i think its best to replace the whole drive shaft!

MK999
02-06-11, 03:03 PM
back and forth movement in the driveshaft (I.e longitudinal, along the length of the driveshaft) is normal, it's to allow for suspension movement, if it was solid against both ends the suspension would be locked in position. It's radial movement that would be bad

RossRog
02-06-11, 03:09 PM
back and forth movement in the driveshaft (I.e longitudinal, along the length of the driveshaft) is normal, it's to allow for suspension movement, if it was solid against both ends the suspension would be locked in position. It's radial movement that would be bad

It feels very different to the other side, there is very different knock noise

think its best i call at a mates get a second opinion, cheers for the input :thumb:

MK999
02-06-11, 03:11 PM
Obviously the normal movement is normal, abnormal movement in the same direction I cannot be held responsible for lol

RossRog
02-06-11, 04:07 PM
its really strange, there is no knocking or noise when i drive around the car park, just when get to about 40mph it gets very loud

it seems to have got progressively worse very fast

swedge
02-06-11, 04:18 PM
certain gears?

RossRog
02-06-11, 04:33 PM
perhaps. i'm getting the knocking feedback thorough the steering wheel too

off home soon, see if i can work anything out tonight

db_1.2
02-06-11, 07:37 PM
Cv?