PDA

View Full Version : Email Security Alert

halfpint
01-06-11, 04:07 PM
Hi all, I thought i would share this with you as i did with my car club members. If you can pass this along the more people that get it the better.

There is a MSN Security alert from windows live messenger as follows:

IF ANY OF YOU RECIEVE THIS ON YOUR MSN EMAILS DELETE IT ASAP DO NOT RESPOND TO IT. MSN HAVE CONFIRMED IT IS A HACKER!!!!!
If you received the following phishing email message claiming to be from the Windows Live Team. If you receive this email, do not respond to it. Just delete the message.
Some of the indicators that this email is not legitimate include:
Email address of the sender is a plain hotmail address
Poor grammar, capitalization, and spacing.
Asks for too much personal information (Windows Live would not ask for your password, secret question, secret answer, and date of birth)
Here is the text of the message that I received:
Subject: Important Message Regarding Your Windows Live Account
From: Windows Live Team [zarjah@hotmail.com] (There are several other emails)
Dear Account User,
This Email is from Windows Live Team Customer Care and we are sending it to every Windows Live Team Email User Accounts Owner for safety. we are having congestions due to the anonymous registration of Windows Live Team accounts so we are shutting down some Windows Live Team accounts and your account was among those to be deleted.We are sending you this email to so that you can verify and let us know if you still want to use this account.If you are still interested please confirm your account by filling the space below.Your User name,password,secret question,secret answer,date of birth and your country information would be needed to verify your account.Due to the congestion in all Windows Live Team users and removal of all unused Accounts, Windows Live Team will be shutting down all unused Accounts, You will have to confirm your E-mail by filling out your Login Information below after clicking the reply button, or your account will be suspended within 24 hours for security reasons.
* YOUR NAME:
*USER NAME:
*E-MAIL ID:
*PASSWORD:
*VERIFY PASSWORD:
*ALTERNATE EMAIL ADDRESS:
*DATE OF BIRTH:
*COUNTRY/TERRITORY:
Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his/her account after two weeks of receiving this warning will lose his or her account permanently. We apologize.
Windows Live Team Account Service
Team Admin….

regards
halfpint

Jack
01-06-11, 04:14 PM
http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/overload.asp

Even Ironhide facepalms at people who reply to this kinda thing lol
http://images.inquisitr.com/wp-content/2011/05/psn-network-exploit-facepalm.jpg

mowgli
01-06-11, 04:18 PM
and another one bites..... these things usually claim to have been passed on from a serving police officer too

wwmnw
01-06-11, 10:51 PM
You'll find many many MANY of these emails landing in your inbox relating to ebay/paypal/your bank (or from a bank you don't bank with) don't worry about them, don't click any links and you'll be reet lad.

MK999
01-06-11, 10:53 PM
It's more like a booby prize for being a right spoon than a hacker.