PDA

View Full Version : Bilstein front suspention strut

gunner1x1
31-05-11, 12:21 PM
As I am forever asking you guys questions, with no real input or help from myself:tard: , I am getting real embarresed, and so I Googled my questions before coming to back you.

I am about to fit some Bilstein front struts to my Nova, but I am a bit confused because it did not come with any bump stops and they are not mentioned in the instructions. On top of that after Googling I have had anything from fitting them whole, cut ithem in half, to not fitting them at all. So what do you guys do? I cannot fit the standard ones because they are perished.

TIA

Cheers

Mike

John
31-05-11, 12:32 PM
Just get some new oe bumpstops. How low are you going?

gunner1x1
31-05-11, 01:25 PM
Just get some new oe bumpstops. How low are you going?

Thanks John, I am going for 60.

As for the other ones being perished, well I got that wrong. I thought that my neighbour said when he stripped them that they were perished, but he told my brother that there was none fitted at all:confused:
So do I cut them, buy new and leave them as they come, or not fit any at all?

Cheers

Mike

John
31-05-11, 01:34 PM
Buy new bump stops and fit them as they are. I ran 60mm springs on standard bumpstops without a problem

Novasport
31-05-11, 02:24 PM
If they are the yellow big piston Billies they have an internal bumpstop so are not required. If they are standard type Billies(usually black) then you will need to fit some. Just slide them over the piston rod before you fit the top mount. Please use spring compressors when removing top mounts, don't want to hear about a decapitated PNG member. lol

Steve0011
01-06-11, 09:35 AM
+1 on the spring compressor, i had a compressor slip off once its not a pretty sight as the spring flys across the room a change of undies required on that day i can tell you :) even with compressors be very carefull.

mowgli
01-06-11, 12:30 PM
i've also learnt not to use a windy gun to compress them when in a hurry.... that hurt too....the spring compressor leapt off & got me..

gunner1x1
01-06-11, 12:35 PM
+1 on the spring compressor, i had a compressor slip off once its not a pretty sight as the spring flys across the room a change of undies required on that day i can tell you :) even with compressors be very carefull.

Although I have not personally seen a spring go, I believe that guy's in the International Space Station have seen one or two fly pass their windowlol

If they are the yellow big piston Billies they have an internal bumpstop so are not required. If they are standard type Billies(usually black) then you will need to fit some. Just slide them over the piston rod before you fit the top mount. Please use spring compressors when removing top mounts, don't want to hear about a decapitated PNG member.

Yes mate they are the big yellow one's.

Thanks guy's, as usual you have come through big time

Cheers

Mike

gunner1x1
01-06-11, 12:40 PM
i've also learnt not to use a windy gun to compress them when in a hurry.... that hurt too....the spring compressor leapt off & got me..

Thanks once again mowgli, that saved me a lot of trouble because I was going to use my compressor

Cheers

Mike

Steve0011
01-06-11, 01:31 PM
i have to agree is probably one of the most dagerous jobs to do on a car, except changing the cam belt with the engine running ;)