PDA

View Full Version : Brake Servo Master Cylinder Types

dikharvey
25-06-03, 02:24 PM
I have just replaced the brake servo in my mk1 1.2 with one from a mk2 Diesel Novavan. The one from the Van is much bigger and stops the car much better! Is it the same as a GTE one? Also does this mean the master cylinder in the van will be the biger type aswell?

Ste_Nova
25-06-03, 02:30 PM
masters are all the same...

servo dosen't make it stop better.... just makes it easier to apply more pressure....

try braking with your left foot on an open road at 30mph

mikeoxford
25-06-03, 11:35 PM
im driving a mondeo estate at the moment for work.....

stops on the slightest touch of the pedal

cannot BELIEVE what new brakes are like :(

how do i get my nova brakes to be anything like that?

im already going to 2ltr disks and pads and calipers.

hopefully a 2ltr servo when ben sorts me one out.....

what else?

going to buy the biggest breaks i can fit under 17"s from nova-x next pay day

Stuart
26-06-03, 12:05 AM
a bigger master cylinder will make the brakes much sharper. i belive i saw one person post here not so long ago WRT using a non ABS 2.0l cav master as it was a few mm larger bore. and the results were good.

mikeoxford
26-06-03, 12:12 AM
a bigger master cylinder will make the brakes much sharper. i belive i saw one person post here not so long ago WRT using a non ABS 2.0l cav master as it was a few mm larger bore. and the results were good.
how do you tell if a car has ABS other than the badge on the boot? :oops:

rgv_stu
26-06-03, 09:34 AM
abs pump and accociated bits

Dicko
26-06-03, 09:44 AM
mind out, iv taken many off astras/cavs and found the piece on the back was different how it conects inside the car, would need to be cut/welded.

mikeoxford
26-06-03, 09:18 PM
so i cant do it then? :S

rgv_stu
27-06-03, 09:53 AM
master cylinder just bolts on
he is on about the servo connection to brake bar

dathers
29-06-03, 12:08 AM
I have 16v front brakes,with a 22mm non abs cav master cylinder and standard gte servo,standard rear drums,it stops on a pin!
Be carefull when buying a master cylinder from a cav as some fit straight on and some are a different fitting.
An ABS master cylinder only has two outputs,non abs has four.

brian
29-06-03, 12:28 AM
how do you tell if a car has ABS other than the badge on the boot?
you can also tell from the outer cv joints. they will have notchs/teeth for the abs sensor

Ste_Nova
29-06-03, 12:51 PM
try fitting a 330mm frontera servo

mikeoxford
29-06-03, 11:36 PM
try fitting a 330mm frontera servo

will it fit?

dont tempt me cos ill do anything to get my car to stop like that!!!

not many fronteras in our scrappy though :(

dathers
29-06-03, 11:50 PM
I went for a ride in a 525bhp bristol fighter today,that didnt have a servo at all,just a master cylinder,it just means you have to push the pedal hard,bloody hard,but,you get bucket loads of feel.
It was a right animal,no abs,no servo,no traction control,no power steering,huge 350mm(14inch!) discs and 6 pot calipers!!!!
Dave