PDA

View Full Version : xe hittin bonnet ??

thedondy
26-05-11, 10:08 PM
hello and good evening
2 possible problems here..
have fitted my c20xe into my nova using some conversion mounts (front mount and spacers on the rear, 2 nearest the box and 1 outside) i also used original f10 front gearbox mount from 1.2 setup.
1st problem it all seemed very hard to line up as if nearly it didnt want too and there is now a strain on the mounts? surely this isnt correct usin conversion mount kit?
2nd the top of the cam cover is hitting the bonnet, not by much but it is.
what am i doing wrong? :confused:
cheers

Benn
26-05-11, 10:25 PM
Does the front drivers mount have 3holes? If so use the lowest holes.

thedondy
26-05-11, 10:43 PM
would that not leave it sittin higher?

db_1.2
26-05-11, 10:48 PM
Not if it's in the lowest holes.

Damo
26-05-11, 10:49 PM
They mean the top two sitting the engine lower down.

thedondy
26-05-11, 10:54 PM
jeez i feel stupid now going out to look here:tard:

thedondy
26-05-11, 11:05 PM
They mean the top two sitting the engine lower down.
these are the 2 im am using i`ve just been out to check, also the engine seems to be sittin pretty level with the car?

Benn
27-05-11, 07:38 AM
I wouldn't worry tomuch about it being level over hitting the bonnet.

And sorry yeah i ment the top holes so the engine sits down at the lower point.

joff-turbo-nova
27-05-11, 07:46 AM
When I did my XE conversion back in '98 it was a fairly common known issue that you may have to trim part of the bonnet ribbing back to clear the camcover.

It just touched on mine so had to take out about an inch of the ribbing .

I thought this issue had been resolved with the newer kits now available that sit the engine slightly lower. You may have some older style mounts.

Joff

AlexW
27-05-11, 08:37 AM
Not on solid mounts is it?

thedondy
27-05-11, 01:09 PM
When I did my XE conversion back in '98 it was a fairly common known issue that you may have to trim part of the bonnet ribbing back to clear the camcover.

It just touched on mine so had to take out about an inch of the ribbing .

I thought this issue had been resolved with the newer kits now available that sit the engine slightly lower. You may have some older style mounts.

Joff

think ill just trim the bonnet slightly its not hitting but much but it is hitting
the kit i used was brand new from griffin autosport parts on ebay

its on standard rubber mounts
thanks for the replys

shed-on-wheels
27-05-11, 01:28 PM
i had a mk1 sr and mine also did this when i converted it i trimed the bonet and was fine

Iain
27-05-11, 06:45 PM
I had to take this much out my bonnet for good clearance lol Just chop it up till it fits IMO, I'd rather have it sitting level in the bay.

http://iainel.co.uk/images/forums/NovaWIP2a/340.JPG

Regarding lining it up, make sure all the bolts are loose (incl the ones that hold the mounts tot he brackets, and maybe the bracket ones too, so it slots in easily then tighten them up.

thedondy
27-05-11, 07:02 PM
I had to take this much out my bonnet for good clearance lol Just chop it up till it fits IMO, I'd rather have it sitting level in the bay.

http://iainel.co.uk/images/forums/NovaWIP2a/340.JPG

Regarding lining it up, make sure all the bolts are loose (incl the ones that hold the mounts tot he brackets, and maybe the bracket ones too, so it slots in easily then tighten them up.
yea i was out lookin at it again after work think its the best way, alot easier than dropping the whole lump.:eek:
thanks again for all the info id looked through various threads and hadn't found anyone saying they had clearance issues with the bonnet, i was wreaking my head tryin to wonder what was up lol
thanks again

honie5
28-05-11, 07:28 PM
I bought them mounts from griffin autosport and we ended up using spacers to get it to fit took us bloody ages but it's in now not sure them mounts are ideal! Havnt checked my bonnet but it looks like it will catch like yours aswell so I'll be trimming mine to! All good fun ain't it!

thedondy
29-05-11, 03:08 AM
yea mate the joys of modifyin haha

Tim
29-05-11, 06:00 AM
Mine did this on solid mounts. Then realised I had fitted on the wrong hole.. It dropped about an inch when I lowered it. Loads of space now. Make sure you take plenty of the bonnet out to allow for engine movement.