PDA

View Full Version : Astra mk4 1.6 16v

Spudly
26-05-11, 06:49 PM
Hey peeps thought id ask on here as you lot are a knowledgeable bunch:d

My astra has been running sweet as, until today when it has decided when i start it, unless i give it some throttle it wont catch, it will eventually start but it takes about 5-10 seconds.

Normally it fires first turn of the key with no argument whatsoever, ive replaced the plugs with gen vaux ones tonight and first turn of the key it fired fine as normal, then i turned it off and restarted and it was being stubborn again, if i give it a bit of a blip on the throttle however it will fire fine.

Im thinking maybe coilpack issue, any ideas?

Jack
26-05-11, 07:12 PM
Aids.

Does it run Ok once its started? Revs fine etc?

Spudly
26-05-11, 07:20 PM
Good aids or bad aids...:eek:

Aye once running its fine and doesnt cut out or stall!

Southie
26-05-11, 07:36 PM
When was the cambelt last changed? Could be a timing issue.

Spudly
26-05-11, 07:41 PM
When was the cambelt last changed? Could be a timing issue.

300 miles ago, before i went to the national weekend in it, and it was started and driven loads during that weekend and was fine:thumb:

Plus it still drives and ticksover perfectly:d

Southie
26-05-11, 07:55 PM
No funny clunking noises from the starter?

Any management light coming on?

Have you run the petrol low on it? It may have clogged up your fuel filter.

Just check the belt though incase it's slipped.

Spudly
26-05-11, 08:28 PM
No lights, quarter of a tank of fuel, and i really dont think belt has slipped as surely it wouldnt just affect the starting and nothing else, ive seen xe's timed up wrong and they tick over a little lumpy and dont rev much past 4k, this ticks and revs, pulls and drives fine!

Andy
26-05-11, 09:03 PM
my sri used to do it

Andy
26-05-11, 09:04 PM
clean the throttle body,or i'll do it for you when you come see me,get some carb cleaner

John
26-05-11, 09:04 PM
tb clean?

(andy, great minds think alike lol)

Spudly
26-05-11, 09:57 PM
Free this weekend then Andy, my TB is covered in oil externally and that car has done almost 200k :eek:

John
26-05-11, 09:58 PM
Free this weekend then Andy, my TB is covered in oil externally and that car has done almost 200k :eek:

If it's leaking oil externally, i'd take it off and clean it thouroughly.

Saloony
26-05-11, 09:59 PM
Clean TB, there after coolant temp sensor, cam sensor and crank sensor

Spudly
26-05-11, 10:00 PM
Its properly blathered in it, so is probably caked inside thinking about it, but since ive only actually had the car back since last wednesday im still finding my feet with it, and starting-wise it has been fine till now:d

Edit, was hoping youd reply Craig, i reckon the CTS should be fine as the mk4 astra boys were adamant when i asked about the previous running issues, that if the dash temp guage were working then CTS has to be fine?