PDA

View Full Version : Plugs, leads or coilpack?? Help please

Grey
24-05-11, 10:44 PM
My astra has given up the ghost loss of power and misfire bad running on 2 cylinders. (MK4 2.0 x20xev)

It started running rough yesterday lunch time noticed it was underpowerd and on tick over sitting in car could feel the juddering through the car.

Then on way home after work it gradually got worse struggled going up hills lossd power and struggled getting it up my drive. I pulled the (IRIDIUM) plugs out and checked they were not loose and also cleaned them up. Started it up again and same old then took plugs out again and noticed cylinder 2 and 3 smelt rich of fuel. So thought coilpack :wtf:

Bought a coilpack today and fitted it and same old did not change :confused: :(

Will buy GM plugs and leads tomorrow even though the iridium plugs are less than 5 month old. has anyone else got ideas, would be much apreciated! :thumb:

Cheers
Grey

Peanut_119
24-05-11, 11:07 PM
my mate XE started doin this the other day, after changing plugs, leads, coilpack, checked wiring and everthing, it turned out to be the ECU, we tried my ecu on his and it started and ran fine.

hope this helps :)

swedge
25-05-11, 06:35 AM
What I usually do when I get probs like that is start the car then disconnect 1 lead at a time from the plug and see which ones aren't working

Once you've figured out which ones don't work swap the plugs round and see if it follows the non working plug if it does it's the plug if it dosnt its the lead

AlexW
25-05-11, 08:14 AM
If your leads are long enough swap them around.

I'd be looking at the wiring more than anything though, Check the plug for corrosion first, then you need to start on checking continuity for the coilpack wiring.

Grey
25-05-11, 09:42 AM
ive bought some plugs and leads to see if it makes any diffrence if its still the same tonight ill let you know. Then i have ruled out plugs coilpack and leads. I hope its nothing else

Grey
25-05-11, 09:57 PM
Well still no change and now it doesnt even start!

changed the plugs and no change started but was only fireing on 2 then changed the leads and went really bad! :wtf:

Turned the key and it was just turning over with a odd pop comeing from exhaust and hearing it trying to start.:( :wtf:

any ideas? ive replaced crank sensor a few months back so cant be that so maybe cam shaft sensor?

im lost might get it recoverd to mates garage and get it connected to read codes.

HELP lol

mowgli
25-05-11, 10:23 PM
was it a new coilpack?? if its running on 2 with new coilpack, plugs & leads, the ignition driver must be faulty. is it in the ecu on this model??

Grey
25-05-11, 10:46 PM
was it a new coilpack?? if its running on 2 with new coilpack, plugs & leads, the ignition driver must be faulty. is it in the ecu on this model??

Yes it was a new coilpack and i have no idea if the ignition driver is in ecu or not?

:(

John
25-05-11, 11:01 PM
cts or head gasket i'd say. Get the compressions checked, i've seen gaskets go on these between cylinders

Grey
26-05-11, 08:34 AM
cts or head gasket i'd say. Get the compressions checked, i've seen gaskets go on these between cylinders

I had my head done 4 months ago and pressure checked and skimmed surely it cant be that again!! :confused:

John
26-05-11, 08:38 AM
Compression test will tell. What about the cts?

Grey
26-05-11, 08:55 AM
Sorry what it cts??:tard:

mowgli
26-05-11, 09:01 AM
coolant temp sensor

Grey
26-05-11, 09:15 AM
Ok .... but surely a coolant temp sensor will not make it pop trying to start and actually not run at all now?

mowgli
26-05-11, 09:26 AM
if it fails, it can give crazy readings which in turn cause the ecu to give crazy fueling

John
26-05-11, 09:45 AM
if it fails, it can give crazy readings which in turn cause the ecu to give crazy fueling
This

Grey
26-05-11, 09:47 AM

aaahhh makes sense now im hopeing the computer can tell whats wrong with it... who knows :( will find out later tonight hopefully.

But how will i know the cts is bust? sorry :tard:

MattBrown
26-05-11, 09:59 AM
CAM sensor, the rocker covers leak, and p!ss oil onto them.

Check that, the crank sensor, the CTS, and megger your leads:)

mowgli
26-05-11, 10:08 AM
aaahhh makes sense now im hopeing the computer can tell whats wrong with it... who knows :( will find out later tonight hopefully.

But how will i know the cts is bust? sorry :tard:

check its resistance at room temp, and in some hot water. there should be a figure in haynes

mowgli
26-05-11, 10:10 AM
CAM sensor, the rocker covers leak, and p!ss oil onto them.

Check that, the crank sensor, the CTS, and megger your leads:)

in english it means use a 1940's induction coil based insulation/continuity tester that when you turn it upside down, looks like a monkey
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7a/AVO_Model_8_Mk7_P4_by_Megger.jpg/220px-AVO_Model_8_Mk7_P4_by_Megger.jpg

...if you have any doubts with old leads, buy new ones, they are cheaper than the tester.

Grey
26-05-11, 11:50 AM
^^lol lol Ok thankyou i will have a go this evening

Grey
27-05-11, 05:24 PM
Well its had a compression check and in cylinder one; 150, two; 30, three; 30 and four :190

So no compression in 2 or 3 i havent lost anywater so means that i have somehow burnt a valve or piston rings on both cylinders!!!!! how i do not know!!!

So it mabe game over for it sell it broken. someone has said the block may have gone soft etc. cant be arsed spending more money on it i have a nova to deal with.

Its getting block tested next week to confirm its what we think. poxy thing