PDA

View Full Version : new driving license rules

Nova_Sean
23-05-11, 09:22 PM
http://www.confused.com/featured-articles/motoring/car-insurance/radical-driving-licence-changes-put-to-parliament-353126319

Bubba
23-05-11, 09:26 PM
loada horse**** imo.

blue_peg_16v
23-05-11, 09:28 PM
bonus more business for me a second driving test bring it on lol

there also revamping pass plus and thinking of making it compulsary

MK999
23-05-11, 09:29 PM
I think it's a decent idea badly implemented, bhp/insurance group restriction similar to motorbikes and no restrictions on motorway driving for a start. It's not the most difficult thing to drive in 3 lanes when you're a new driver, and making it something you can't do is only going to mean forgetting some of the basic stuff and learning bad habits before you end up on a motorway as a cocky driver because you can already drive elsewhere. Some car control aspects of the test would be good too, although it might lead to the odd jeb end trying to 360 across a car park at least he'll have some idea of how to do it without wiping everyone out.

blue_peg_16v
23-05-11, 09:33 PM
tbf i think its stupid that you dont legaly have to have any training for driving on a motorway, it fast moving traffic and most have no clue what to do, how many people have seen people changing lane with no warning, almost everyone on the motorway network drives too close to the car infront especialy in bad weather conditions, undertaking etc driving hogging the middle lane i could go on

mowgli
23-05-11, 09:40 PM
brake wouldn't be happy if the man with a red flag rule was introduced..

FACT. last year was the safest on the road in this country since the war.
FACT. speed cameras do not make anywhere safer.
FACT. stupid road design, usually done by untrained people is a way bigger killer than speeding kids.

for every young person killed on the uk roads, there are 2 others who die.

if you are a middle aged person, who is sober, driving below the speed limit in broad daylight opn a dry day, you are more likely to kill or be killed.

tightening up mot laws so the rules laid out are actually enforced would save more lives.

as unpopular as it sounds, banning young drivers from driving anything more than 50hp for the first year, and banning modifications unless they are approved & tested would save loads of lives, but saying that, france & germany do similar & we still have a better safety record

Jack
23-05-11, 09:52 PM
I think it's a decent idea badly implemented
This sums it up perfectly

Brake are a bunch of whinging arses anyway, nobody ever listens to them lol

[edit] Anyway, as long as young kids keep getting slotted on the roads, thats great as it gives the insurance companies a good reason to fill their pockets via their premiums and not mine lol

BRoadGhost
23-05-11, 09:55 PM
I like the way it states 1/4 off accidents involve young people.

so radically I suppose the other 3/4 are children, middle aged adults & OAPs.

SHOCKER

boffer8
23-05-11, 09:59 PM
All this really annoys me as they talk about trying to give extra training and not really knowing how to implement it when there is hundreds on motor clubs out there that would be quite willing to help train newly passed drivers in the art of car control and vehicle knowledge to help them, this would be a lot better way to improve younger drivers that a scheme that would always be poorly implemented in any region external to a town!

mowgli
23-05-11, 10:04 PM
/\ by teaching them to drive fast?? like a politician will ever go for that...
do you remember how long the labour transport minister who went on top gear in the baleno lasted?? a couple of weeks...

from what i gather, brake is mostly staffed by people who have lost a loved one because of a car crash...now every death on the road is a tragedy, but i'd reckon the majority of road deaths still are the fault of the person who died...and not because of the car, the rules etc..

MK1_Ben
23-05-11, 10:32 PM
but i'd reckon the majority of road deaths still are the fault of the person who died...and not because of the car, the rules etc..

Harsh. But true, I know of several people who died around my age locally in car accidents (19-25 years old ish) in the past 5 years, only 1 was driving sensibly (a car flipped over the center barrier on the Motorway into her car, it was on the news in most of the south west) the rest all had their mates with them, and were either driving too fast on the wrong type of road, or intoxicated whilst driving.

phazer
24-05-11, 11:59 AM
almost everyone on the motorway network drives too close to the car infront

Ironically, in rush hour leaving a gap that is not quite big enough for a car to slot in to reduces the number of attempts to kill you. I'll explain.

I like to leave the correct gap between me and the car in front, however, when I do that I get cars and vans going slower than me cutting straight in front requiring me to brake hard (Road awareness is of no use here as they give no indication of their intent). It seems like they want to get up close and personal with the front wing for some reason :confused:

Leaving the gap also seems to be an invite to the serial under taker or the white van. They accelerate hard to undertake pull straight in front and then have to brake extremely hard as they're carrying too much speed.

In my experience it seems that the added risk of being a bit too close to the car in front is preferable to allowing the chancers and idiots to think there is room to pull off their daft attempt at driving.

It's totally mad but that's the M1 for you, day in day out. I hate it with a passion.

mowgli
24-05-11, 02:08 PM
a valid way of improving driving standards would be to make every new car licence holder drive a lorry for about 50 miles.. then see if they try to cut one up or play chicken with it....

ps. car drivers..... the on ramp to a motorway actually has a give way on the end of it.. vehicles do not have to move over just cos you are there.

blue_peg_16v
24-05-11, 02:40 PM
a valid way of improving driving standards would be to make every new car licence holder drive a lorry for about 50 miles.. then see if they try to cut one up or play chicken with it....

ps. car drivers..... the on ramp to a motorway actually has a give way on the end of it.. vehicles do not have to move over just cos you are there.

On no motorway I have ever been on is there a give way were the slip road joins the motorway it's a single dotted White line giveways are double so its not a give way, and if safe you should move out to let people join but the people on the slip road should use it to join the flow of traffic by adjusting there speed so people don't need to move over

MattBrown
24-05-11, 02:47 PM
brake wouldn't be happy if the man with a red flag rule was introduced..

FACT. last year was the safest on the road in this country since the war.
FACT. speed cameras do not make anywhere safer.
FACT. stupid road design, usually done by untrained people is a way bigger killer than speeding kids.

for every young person killed on the uk roads, there are 2 others who die.

if you are a middle aged person, who is sober, driving below the speed limit in broad daylight opn a dry day, you are more likely to kill or be killed.

tightening up mot laws so the rules laid out are actually enforced would save more lives.

as unpopular as it sounds, banning young drivers from driving anything more than 50hp for the first year, and banning modifications unless they are approved & tested would save loads of lives, but saying that, france & germany do similar & we still have a better safety record

More people comit suicide then die on the roads.

IMO, its the innocent people we care about, if someones being a tool and hurts themselves then fine, but its the families, and the poeple they hit who suffer.

I agree, its far too easy to obtain a liscence, and you can try and ban mods, id say 90% are undeclared anyway, so it will make no odds:confused:

mowgli
24-05-11, 03:14 PM
On no motorway I have ever been on is there a give way were the slip road joins the motorway it's a single dotted White line giveways are double so its not a give way, and if safe you should move out to let people join but the people on the slip road should use it to join the flow of traffic by adjusting there speed so people don't need to move over

the wording of the highway code does tell the driver entering the sliproad to adjust their speed to fit safely in, which in my world is a give way instruction. i do particularly hate the sliproads with traffic lights on, cos they cause some serious holdups..

on the motorway, it is the colour of the cats eyes that denote the entry point, more than the white lines

but the thousands of numpties who come off the roundabout & accelerate hard then try to force a wagon to move seem to have forgotten the rules & its a huge catch 22 thing, if you drive a wagon with enough space to be safe, then 4 cars will fill the gap meaning you should then have to slow dramatically, and it is dangerous, so the wagons just keep going, nose to tail & look after themselves.

Plug
24-05-11, 05:11 PM

Must always Give way to traffic on the right,

Jack
24-05-11, 05:28 PM
Motorway slip road is give priority to traffic on the carriageway, not give way. The Highway code also implies you should look ahead to the junction, and if required (or if possible) change lanes to allow traffic to join.

blue_peg_16v
24-05-11, 05:49 PM
the wording of the highway code does tell the driver entering the sliproad to adjust their speed to fit safely in, which in my world is a give way instruction. i do particularly hate the sliproads with traffic lights on, cos they cause some serious holdups..

on the motorway, it is the colour of the cats eyes that denote the entry point, more than the white lines

but the thousands of numpties who come off the roundabout & accelerate hard then try to force a wagon to move seem to have forgotten the rules & its a huge catch 22 thing, if you drive a wagon with enough space to be safe, then 4 cars will fill the gap meaning you should then have to slow dramatically, and it is dangerous, so the wagons just keep going, nose to tail & look after themselves.

those slip roads are fecking dangerous imo making you stop a few yards before the motorway were traffic could be traveling at 70mph and giving no room to accelerate to join safely

boffer8
24-05-11, 07:55 PM
/\ by teaching them to drive fast?? like a politician will ever go for that...
do you remember how long the labour transport minister who went on top gear in the baleno lasted?? a couple of weeks...

from what i gather, brake is mostly staffed by people who have lost a loved one because of a car crash...now every death on the road is a tragedy, but i'd reckon the majority of road deaths still are the fault of the person who died...and not because of the car, the rules etc..
I think you miss the vital point that not all motorsport consists of high speeds (over 15mph actually!!)!!! some of the hardest motorsport i do has speeds of less than 10mph and car control is gained by learning how the car will act in slippery conditions and also by gaining more experience by driving a car off the road, as they say, practise makes perfect and not all the practise that most young drivers require can be gained on the road!!

mowgli
25-05-11, 08:13 AM
I think you miss the vital point that not all motorsport consists of high speeds (over 15mph actually!!)!!! some of the hardest motorsport i do has speeds of less than 10mph and car control is gained by learning how the car will act in slippery conditions and also by gaining more experience by driving a car off the road, as they say, practise makes perfect and not all the practise that most young drivers require can be gained on the road!!

if you are on about off road trialling, then the only link with road driving is that it includes sitting in a car...the skills involved in that sport are incredible, but going up a hill on mud is extreme, and really isn't going to help you if you hit black ice at 50mph...

everybody, and i mean everybody who joins a motor club is a petrolhead who wants to drive fast... i was in one at college & we used to pull loads of cars out of ditches on navigation rallies...where speed isn't even a factor....