PDA

View Full Version : XE & LET clutches

Nova_Tek
23-05-11, 08:57 PM
It's a quickie... are XE/LET clucthes the same (size etc)? I'm asking as I've seen a few here and there advertised "XE/LET Clutch/Pressure Plate blah blah etc" or

Always a bit sceptical of these descriptions as I've found out in the past.
:thumb:

mowgli
23-05-11, 09:00 PM
follow my sig link... there is a full clutch catalogue.

there are some very good uprated clutches out there, but there are also some rubbish ones painted to look faster......

Nova_Tek
23-05-11, 09:04 PM
lol 'painted to look faster' I'll have a look Sir Mowgli :thumb:

Mieran
23-05-11, 09:08 PM
Inner shaft splines on F28 are different to F16/F18/F20

Pressure plates are also different depending on flat or pot flywheel

What gearbox and fly will you be using?

Lee H
23-05-11, 09:12 PM
They are not the same. XE pressure plate is not as strong and just slipped with my LET. However if you are running the XE flat flywheel you have to run the weaker XE pressure plate.

mowgli
23-05-11, 09:27 PM
lol 'painted to look faster' I'll have a look Sir Mowgli :thumb:

seriously.. there was an uprated let clutch on the bay a few months back, and both the cover & plate centre had been painted red... now i'm no expert, but cluches heat up a tad....

Nova_Tek
23-05-11, 10:03 PM
Inner shaft splines on F28 are different to F16/F18/F20

Pressure plates are also different depending on flat or pot flywheel

What gearbox and fly will you be using?

F20 & Pot type fly.

They are not the same. XE pressure plate is not as strong and just slipped with my LET. However if you are running the XE flat flywheel you have to run the weaker XE pressure plate.

So with the above in mind I can just buy a LET cluth kit (pressure plate and friction plate) and just fit it.

Most of these 'descriptions' I've read on the Bay of E, so many lies lol

Mieran
23-05-11, 10:07 PM
I would invest in a Helix friction plate (to suit a F20) and use a standard XE LUK pressure plate

There is also no point running a pot flywheel if not using a F28

Nova_Tek
23-05-11, 10:25 PM

^ Lee says otherwise.

Looking to run a lighter fly in the futur but for now the engine and everything will be standard, so I'll be keeping it.

Lee H
23-05-11, 10:28 PM
You need a LET pressure plate and XE friction plate as the LET friction plate has different splines to suit the F28.

Mieran
23-05-11, 10:37 PM
Mine doesn't slip and thats on PH2

You can also get a helix pressure plate to suit a flat fly, PM vxlgsi on migweb for prices

Lee H
23-05-11, 10:52 PM
Mine doesn't slip and thats on PH2

You can also get a helix pressure plate to suit a flat fly, PM vxlgsi on migweb for prices

Mine did and so did my stock Calibra turbo clutch on Phase 2 so ended up with a Helix.

The Helix pressure plate to suit a flat fly is for an XE really so not up to the torque of a LET according to the people I spoke to when buying my Helix.

You win some, you lose some, like an F20 works on some cars and lasts 5 minutes on another. I found out the hard and expensive way by having the gearbox off 3 weekends in a row :cry:

Mieran
23-05-11, 11:00 PM
Even the Helix pressure plates (for f28) are made by LUK, not sure if they are any stronger than standard or not though

Lee H
23-05-11, 11:07 PM
Even the Helix pressure plates (for f28) are made by LUK, not sure if they are any stronger than standard or not though

They are made using the main parts of an LUK clutch, however the daiphragm and springs that does all the clamping is different and much more substantial.

Nova_Tek
24-05-11, 12:39 AM
Well that's kinda cleared some stuff up. Likelihood is that I'll probably end up having to buy 2 clutch kits as is rare to find bits in individual form and they're normally more expensive on their own. Wanna buy new components and not used to be on the safe side.