PDA

View Full Version : How much does....

Jack
23-05-11, 07:19 PM
...a VW parts person get paid? As in the guy in a dealer/garage that sorts out all the parts orders etc.

Spudly
23-05-11, 07:30 PM
This would vary on a lot of things, age, experience, how busy the stealership is on a whole, how busy the dept is and how many employee's are in that section.

I worked in parts before the recession knocked me back into valeting and i was on the same measly rate i always was:cry:

Dar
23-05-11, 07:36 PM
5 Dolla

Mazz
23-05-11, 07:37 PM
5 Dolla

sucky sucky?

burgo
23-05-11, 08:28 PM
not a lot in my experience. about 15-16k generally up here

mowgli
23-05-11, 08:46 PM
/\ if that.. few years ago a parts manager was lucky to be getting 12k round my way. i applied for a job & walked out of the interview when they insulted me with the salary.

whats more galling is that everyone knows parts makes way more profit than sales & service do.

are we looking at a new career jack? seriously, there are thousands of people who simply aren't good enough to be mechanics & they end up as main dealer parts staff, its easy work if you don't want to progress... non franchised parts is more interesting & there can be more money.

burgo
23-05-11, 09:11 PM
/\ if that.. few years ago a parts manager was lucky to be getting 12k round my way. i applied for a job & walked out of the interview when they insulted me with the salary.

whats more galling is that everyone knows parts makes way more profit than sales & service do.

are we looking at a new career jack? seriously, there are thousands of people who simply aren't good enough to be mechanics & they end up as main dealer parts staff, its easy work if you don't want to progress... non franchised parts is more interesting & there can be more money.i know thats not true, my mum was on 20k+ as a parts manager

mowgli
23-05-11, 09:31 PM
she obviously didn't work for a garage chain from my part of the world. i was earning 16k in 1993 selling tractor spares 5 1/2 days a week. i was seriously offered minimum wage at a main dealer, the rest of the staff were part time school leavers

John
23-05-11, 09:34 PM
A, why? lol

One of the lads at the vw dealer where i used to work left to go to europarts, i know the euro parts job was 16k + bonuses, and he went for more money.

burgo
23-05-11, 09:40 PM
she worked for citroen in northampton and then was head hunted by vaux in MK

Andy_L
23-05-11, 09:47 PM

True but parts don't tend to make that much profit as most people go to a motor factors

MK999
23-05-11, 09:49 PM
True but parts don't tend to make that much profit as most people go to a motor factors

But where do the motor factors get genuine parts from? :p

Andy_L
23-05-11, 09:52 PM
But where do the motor factors get genuine parts from? :p

Very true - just IME (a ford place :cry:) it was very well run but not enough retail punters and the big accounts were smaller dealers than ourselves.

mowgli
23-05-11, 09:56 PM
not if your local dealer has a decent parts manager & he can do deals for common parts & then sells them thru the trade to all the bodyshops/garages.

i spent 5 years working at a case tractor dealership & did regular courses at the doncaster factory. i'd meet people who would start swearing as soon as they worked out where i was from, cos we had sold some stuff to their customers for way less than they could..i had people tell me that we must be selling chinese crap for that money, and i'd ask for their full name so our solicitors could know who to sue, as we only sold genuine stuff. and i would regularly tell these people that once they worked out the secret to selling right, they'd be able to do it themselves...the secret it to buy right. if you buy 1 piston set, you'll maybe get 40% discount. try buying 100 piston sets & see what happens to the price.. this was all pre-internet we used parts books with amazing things written in the margins..we could get parts that other dealers couldn't, simply cos coloured parts changed number to the new parts, but if you rang them & asked, there would be loads of the old number in a warehouse somewhere.. all by asking people down the phone as opposed to punching a keyboard..

Jack
23-05-11, 10:00 PM
Ok, didn't think it would be much. lol

I might go ask in the local VW dealer as they're advertising. Then laugh in the guy's face lol

Andy_L
23-05-11, 10:05 PM
not if your local dealer has a decent parts manager & he can do deals for common parts & then sells them thru the trade to all the bodyshops/garages.

i spent 5 years working at a case tractor dealership & did regular courses at the doncaster factory. i'd meet people who would start swearing as soon as they worked out where i was from, cos we had sold some stuff to their customers for way less than they could..i had people tell me that we must be selling chinese crap for that money, and i'd ask for their full name so our solicitors could know who to sue, as we only sold genuine stuff. and i would regularly tell these people that once they worked out the secret to selling right, they'd be able to do it themselves...the secret it to buy right. if you buy 1 piston set, you'll maybe get 40% discount. try buying 100 piston sets & see what happens to the price.. this was all pre-internet we used parts books with amazing things written in the margins..we could get parts that other dealers couldn't, simply cos coloured parts changed number to the new parts, but if you rang them & asked, there would be loads of the old number in a warehouse somewhere.. all by asking people down the phone as opposed to punching a keyboard..

Stock's an alien word these days

mowgli
23-05-11, 10:12 PM
well, my last stint in parts was at unipart.... i've never met so many people who knew less about vehicle parts than that lot.....

example 1. we sold a lorry trailer suspensio bolt/nut/washer set but had no stock and backorders.. the old parts book still listed the parts seperately and we had 100+ of each bit and hadn't sold any for 2 years. so i went & adjusted the stock, and got a full carpetting the next day off the inventory manager... and i said ' but the parts were right & i had customers who needed them, that is more important than anything else'

example 2. a manager who worked out that we sold 2000 of a certain lorry brake drum per annum, so did a deal for 1000, and put a delivery date on the fax. so we had no drums & i rang the factory, they had 6 artic loads sat in their store waiting for the due date...i got a bollocking for that too....

TeddyThom
24-05-11, 01:22 PM
sucky sucky?

Try before you buy?

GRUNT 16V
24-05-11, 03:08 PM
ID SAY FROM MY 11 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN THE PARTS DEPT YOU WILL BE LOOKING AT BETWEEN 15.500 - 16.500 A YEAR
CHEERS ( crap just noticed caps on , its off now lol)