PDA

View Full Version : Any reason I shouldn't...

MK999
23-05-11, 05:14 PM
Burn the fcuking thing? Finally finished a uni year from hell partly down to various issues with the derv of failure (currently known as that ******* thing) and it's just spat an engine bolt out, possibly knackering the brand new alt in the process.:(

It better be an easy job or it's gonna end up looking like I've rolled it.

Jack
23-05-11, 07:09 PM
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire... Merris lol

MK999
23-05-11, 07:10 PM
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire... Merris lol

Much more satisfying to beat the crap out of it myself though.

burgo
23-05-11, 07:29 PM
na the alt will be fine, even though that is what will be holding it in lol. i seem to remember mine being relatively easy to do

MK999
23-05-11, 07:33 PM
na the alt will be fine, even though that is what will be holding it in lol. i seem to remember mine being relatively easy to do

Alt was smashing the crossmember as it span for a good few hundred yards though, guessing the main issue will be getting half the bolt out!

Is there anything you can do to prevent it in future? Bar having the whole thing out and redrilling to a larger bolt.

burgo
23-05-11, 08:04 PM
bare in mind how long the bolt has lasted! buy a new one from vaux and it wont break again in the novas lifetime lol. my half came out easy with mole grips.

MK999
23-05-11, 08:09 PM
bare in mind how long the bolt has lasted! buy a new one from vaux and it wont break again in the novas lifetime lol. my half came out easy with mole grips.

Knowing my luck it'll go next week lol

So far in the last year it's had 2 cv's, 3 wheel bearings, a head gasket, cam reshims, an entire engine, 3 patches of welding for the MOT, a snapped spring, 6 headlights, 2 grills, a bumper, fuel pipe, handbrake cables, full exhaust system and alternator.

Still requires, another bumper, 2 wings, 2 arches, patches under the vinyl, a glow plug relay, the front end kicking til it's straight again, and also finding what is causing a warning light with apparently no issues.

craig green
23-05-11, 08:12 PM
/\ Most of that would have been cheap & easy. Surely 6 headlights is a result of buying shonky 2nd hand bits? All Novas need wheel bearings when bought...

Warning light? I had all manner of dash lights on when my Derv had a poor earth.

MK999
23-05-11, 08:15 PM
it had a rusted up one when I bought it, so bought a replacement, they both pointed in all sorts of directions for the mot, so I got another pair, then I ran into the back of someone and needed 1 more, adjusters didn't work on either any more to set the beams so had to get 2 more.

Most would have been cheap and easy had it not gone when I was trying to move my stuff back to uni and just before I started, etc.

craig green
23-05-11, 08:17 PM
Sounds as though its past it's best in anycase..... Break it?

MK999
23-05-11, 08:26 PM
Sounds as though its past it's best in anycase..... Break it?

Trouble is it's a bit too perfect as a daily, and worth a lot lot more as a clean running car. I'd be losing a lot to break it, and would have to replace it with something that can do a similar mpg, as cheap to insure, fix etc. I am quite tempted to get rid purely because it's fcuked me off so much, but it doesn't make sense really.

It's also mostly new where it matters now lol

Edd
23-05-11, 08:27 PM
Break it?

Going by the list of parts that's been replaced it has many times lol

MK999
23-05-11, 08:29 PM
Going by the list of parts that's been replaced it has many times lol
lol it gets broken weekly!

mowgli
23-05-11, 09:07 PM
find a 1.7td donor before the 1.5 gives up, then get it stuck in. tidy bodywork comes with having money, you need that for jedward concerts & babycham, or whatever young people do these days.

MK999
23-05-11, 09:12 PM
1.7TD isn't that worthwile imo, nor insurance friendly

John
23-05-11, 10:06 PM
(off topic, what are those wire wheels? they rock! :) )

MK999
23-05-11, 10:12 PM
(off topic, what are those wire wheels? they rock! :) )

Good question and one asked multiple times. As far as I can tell from googling around; They don't have bobbles around the wires as per most wheels but MGA and MGB's did have a 4x100mm PCD set of pins on the reverse for locating the wheels to, so they may be an aftermarket replacement for those maybe that have been drilled all the way through and then tapered. Piece on the back is machined though, and located into place with countersunk screws, so it's not limited just to being something with some sort of 4x100 PCD. They're almost definitely standard centre lock wire wheels with 4x100 bolt pattern drilled in after.

The 60 wire crossed spoke pattern is very common, but the raised bit around the bolts, and the lack of 'bobbles' I can't find anywhere. Did think they might be DB5 wheels at one point which have a £1250 per wheel pricetag for replicas, but they have small 'bobbles' as well lol

NOVA saloon
24-05-11, 03:20 PM
Get rid Corsa 1.5 td or sad to say 306 turbo I no French BUT comfy to drive and amazing on fuel me friend has 1 15 pounds of derv it did 231 miles keeping to changing gear at 2000- 2300 rpm tbf you can't grumble at that

MK999
24-05-11, 06:51 PM
Corsa TD is the same car basically, no reason to swap out something with mostly new consumable parts, for something that has the same, older parts. Had a 306 diesel for about 4 months, had problems with the washers (electronic/warning light) coolant bottle, CV joint, steering rack, electric windows, hated the way it drove, gave me backache on anything longer than 15-20 miles and a reoccuring shoulder problem to this day, engine was utter turd, turbo was specced by a 5 year old throwing a crayon at a chart, weighed too much and cost twice as much in road tax as the nova.

Only thing I'd swap it for that makes some sense would be a 2.5 BMW engined diesel I think, but it's hell to insure for me atm.

edit: attempted fix today, bolts are NLS so shorter one was sourced from an ironmongers in town, other is on mail order as it's stupidly long and hence snaps easily thanks to the GCSE work experience kid they got to design it, mount got stuck against side of engine so it got hulk moment'd out thanks to a 4-5 foot scaffy bar(/exhaust tube). Much anger at the thing today.

L14MNP
25-05-11, 01:44 PM
Corsa TD is the same car basically, no reason to swap out something with mostly new consumable parts, for something that has the same, older parts. Had a 306 diesel for about 4 months, had problems with the washers (electronic/warning light) coolant bottle, CV joint, steering rack, electric windows, hated the way it drove, gave me backache on anything longer than 15-20 miles and a reoccuring shoulder problem to this day, engine was utter turd, turbo was specced by a 5 year old throwing a crayon at a chart, weighed too much and cost twice as much in road tax as the nova.

Only thing I'd swap it for that makes some sense would be a 2.5 BMW engined diesel I think, but it's hell to insure for me atm.

edit: attempted fix today, bolts are NLS so shorter one was sourced from an ironmongers in town, other is on mail order as it's stupidly long and hence snaps easily thanks to the GCSE work experience kid they got to design it, mount got stuck against side of engine so it got hulk moment'd out thanks to a 4-5 foot scaffy bar(/exhaust tube). Much anger at the thing today.

GCE. :)

mowgli
25-05-11, 02:52 PM
GCE. :)

GCSE's took over in 1987-8 exam year, and work experience usually happens in the year before, so i'm backing MK999 on this....

brownbear
25-05-11, 04:10 PM
GCSE's took over in 1987-8 exam year, and work experience usually happens in the year before, so i'm backing MK999 on this....

Yup Work Exp is in your GCSE years of high school... :thumb:

MK999
25-05-11, 04:44 PM
I hadnt even though about the crossover year tbh, but I'm glad I accidently got it right. "That ******* thing" is currently up for sale also, although I'm sure all of the people judging the price of dervs above a grand will disappear at the chance of actually buying one :p