PDA

View Full Version : Millitary air testing above where I live...

MK1_Ben
22-05-11, 10:49 PM
Quite a rare occasion, we've had no notice of it as it's obviously secret stuff.

There's an airbase near me, located right next to the sea etc, the past hour or so has been constant low flying helicopters + planes above. Now all everyone can hear for the surrounding 30 miles is a supersonic jet flying above, it's either really loud/low, making everything rumble as it goes past and it keeps breaking the sound barrier (you can hear sonic booms on every flyby), looking out there are no lights in the sky (so it's obviously some sort of stealth plane), it must have done at least 20 passes by now.

It's quite common for them to take Jets + Helicopters out in my part of Exmoor as they low fly them across the moorland + through the valleys as training exercises, but I've never experienced one which has been run at night totally secretive.

Kind of makes you feel uneasy really.

mowgli
22-05-11, 10:57 PM
they need training somewhere

we get hercules transporters hedge hopping, usually in the day. we used to have tornados night & day back in the early 80's. they allegedly flew at 2000ft, but we could see what colour the pilots crash helmets were.....

Mike
22-05-11, 10:58 PM
Be afraid.... be very afraid!

mowgli
22-05-11, 10:59 PM
i somehow don't think agents scuttle & mouldy are out looking for a crashed ufo.....

MK1_Ben
22-05-11, 11:00 PM
they need training somewhere

we get hercules transporters hedge hopping, usually in the day. we used to have tornados night & day back in the early 80's. they allegedly flew at 2000ft, but we could see what colour the pilots crash helmets were.....

I live in a huge wide valley, and we have similar here with Apache's. They literally fly under 100m through the valley, same height as the tree's in them, sometimes you see 2 or 3 in convoy doing it.

i somehow don't think agents scuttle & mouldy are out looking for a crashed ufo.....

Saying that, about a year ago a Military helicopter had to crash land in one of our neighbours fields, within 20 minutes there were military police + army everywhere, they had closed all the roads off, landed two more helicopters (chinooks), within a couple hours they had disassembled the crashed helicopter into two parts and flew it off.

SR-Rally
22-05-11, 11:01 PM
I always thought they aren't aloud to go supersonic over land when testing. Only sea?

MK1_Ben
22-05-11, 11:05 PM
I always thought they aren't aloud to go supersonic over land when testing. Only sea?

Exactly.

And the fact this plane has no lights on it either.

mowgli
22-05-11, 11:33 PM
some of the fast turns can produce booms at subsonic speeds

steviegsi
23-05-11, 12:27 AM
Exactly.

£10 your kidnapped and tortured for broadcasting these activities on the net.... Or taken by aliens and probed ooh errr

Lee
23-05-11, 12:31 AM
Write 'Feck Off Biggles' on the roof of your house :)

Dave.
23-05-11, 01:14 AM

Youll have all your underpants ripped from the washing line and interigaiting mail through your door the enxt day if you do

Stuart
23-05-11, 07:58 AM
Obama is due into the UK tomorrow so probably lots of people coming in and also prepping the security patrols etc.

We had a load of Marine 1 helicopters followed by a chinook and then the local police chopper fly over on saturday lol

Should be ace when Obama actually lands as last time they had a lone apache up ahead, then 2-3 apaches infront of Marine 1 with a couple of chinooks then some more apaches and I think a couple of blackhawks lol. Oh and it was a nice quiet evening as the airport shutown :)

TeddyThom
23-05-11, 10:16 AM
Grab yourself one of those million candle power fecking bright torches and track em through the sky... They love that....

grooge
23-05-11, 11:01 AM
my dad works on MOD land away up in the hills and ive been with him a few times whilst the marines have been training. watching them is pretty cool.

i'm quite used to the jets passing above aswell but shat myself first time one went over my head just a couple of metres above the trees i was in! was deafening! i mean they're loud when you see them go past a few miles away but right next to you is something else.

MK1_Ben
23-05-11, 12:41 PM
Found out from people local to the airbase what it was this morning, two F15's flying with an unmarked/idenfitied plane (which they were testing). The conditions last night were ideal for flying in, no wind movement, clouds and no major fluctuations in pressure (which is why they appeared so loud).

Andy
23-05-11, 12:49 PM
Only thing being tested round here last night was my patience,some fukktards were letting fireworks off somewhere at obscene oclock,they sounded like fukkin bombs going off

Jack
23-05-11, 04:35 PM
Grab yourself one of those million candle power fecking bright torches and track em through the sky... They love that....
They used to do that on the Dorset ranges. Clever, shining bright lights at helicopters with live munitions on them :roll:

mowgli
23-05-11, 05:43 PM

or something like this??? (http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/newsbeat/newsid_7961000/7961224.stm) nsfw

TeddyThom
23-05-11, 05:43 PM
They used to do that on the Dorset ranges. Clever, shining bright lights at helicopters with live munitions on them :roll:

Anything for a giggle eh?? Be something interesting to talk about down the pub lol

I'd quite happily ruin their exercise if they continued ruining my sleep, I'm a grumpy old barsteward when I haven't had enough sleep lol

mowgli
23-05-11, 05:47 PM
the dorset ranges have signs everywhere warning of 'sudden gunfire' as if there is non-sudden gunfire.....

TeddyThom
23-05-11, 05:50 PM
the dorset ranges have signs everywhere warning of 'sudden gunfire' as if there is non-sudden gunfire.....

It's not like they are going to shout a warning is it lol

"look out! bullets ahoy!!"

AlexW
23-05-11, 06:02 PM
Obama is due into the UK tomorrow so probably lots of people coming in and also prepping the security patrols etc.

We had a load of Marine 1 helicopters followed by a chinook and then the local police chopper fly over on saturday lol

I was thinking obama as soon as I saw the first post lol

Had 3 chinooks fly over me saturday, Very low, Wondered what the **** it was.

Hopefully he lands later in the day so I can get to my mates in the morning going via the backroads around the airport, No times have been released obviously though.

steviegsi
23-05-11, 06:13 PM
When I was younger, chinooks used to land in a field near our house to do foot patrols and checkpoints on the road nearby..... Absolutely hilarious watching them pile out, with the camo cream on thier faces, bits of branches wedged into thier helmets, running around like they were in Vietnam . Looked like fun though.

TeddyThom
23-05-11, 06:20 PM
When I was younger, chinooks used to land in a field near our house to do foot patrols and checkpoints on the road nearby..... Absolutely hilarious watching them pile out, with the camo cream on thier faces, bits of branches wedged into thier helmets, running around like they were in Vietnam . Looked like fun though.

Should've had some fun with a laser pointer or a paintball gun or both haha

steviegsi
23-05-11, 06:23 PM
Emmmm.....no thanks lol

TeddyThom
23-05-11, 06:31 PM
lol why not? I'd at least play with a laser pointer XD

Jack
23-05-11, 07:07 PM
Not unless you want a hellfire missile coming through your bedroom at 2am!

The lights used to reaaaallly piss the pilots off, distracted them from their instruments as well

Stuart
23-05-11, 07:44 PM

The lights used to reaaaallly piss the pilots off, distracted them from their instruments as well

Unless his house looks like the radar sig of a russian/iraqi tank then he would be fine lol

Bubba
23-05-11, 09:14 PM
Exactly.

Black planes fly faster....much like black cars are faster lol

mowgli
23-05-11, 09:28 PM
london taxis aren't

Jack
23-05-11, 10:05 PM
Unless his house looks like the radar sig of a russian/iraqi tank then he would be fine lol
Its more the fact the pilots getting annoyed with it.

I used to work with them and they ragged on about it all the time when they were out there lol

Jim Mcrae
24-05-11, 04:41 AM
It happens all the time where I live to. I remember flicking the kettle on one morning when one flew over, sounded low enough to take the ariel off the roof, I dived for cover thinking the kettle was going to explode in my face.

TeddyThom
24-05-11, 01:15 PM
I meant with the guys on the ground not the pilot, I have stupid tendancies but even I have some form of limits lol

It happens all the time where I live to. I remember flicking the kettle on one morning when one flew over, sounded low enough to take the ariel off the roof, I dived for cover thinking the kettle was going to explode in my face.

Flol!

ben doodar
24-05-11, 04:03 PM
i was at the park yesterday with my lad whos 2. two chinooks flew by together i said,

"look nathan there called chinooks"

"daddy canoes go in water, there called helicoptors" lmfao!

Nova_Sean
24-05-11, 09:44 PM
legend!