PDA

View Full Version : non nova

AdamK
22-05-11, 02:19 PM
Last night we was out my mates 11 plate mini. Being a bellend he drove over a mini roundabout at a fair rate of nots. Unsurprisingly hes now in need of a new sump or some bodgery. Any body dabbled in minis? how hard is the job to do? i heard the sump and gearbox are linked or something:confused:

any helps much appritiated

swedge
22-05-11, 02:33 PM
did you slap him lol

TeddyThom
22-05-11, 03:06 PM
did you slap him lol

Should do for owning a BMW replica of something that shouldn't have been messed with. Don't see how they can be called mini's when the nova is smaller! That was the point of the mini, they were small!!!

mowgli
24-05-11, 02:29 PM
oh please teddythom, please remove the rose tinted specs... the original mini was shocking...

noisy, slow, harsh ride, no crash protection, and really unreliable. and then a git to fix.

ok, they were fun for a thrash down a country lane, but in every respect, terrible.

bini on the other hand is a british car that is so reliable, they sell them in america, where you get sued if the washer bottle runs empty.....they are built to modern standards, and are way better than the old ones.

ryansnova
24-05-11, 02:54 PM
my dad had one and he put 3 gearboxes in it in 7 months......

i dont know about a sump but the gearbox was hard to change plus the frunt pannel is alloy and it just un bolts lol

TeddyThom
24-05-11, 03:38 PM
oh please teddythom, please remove the rose tinted specs... the original mini was shocking...

noisy, slow, harsh ride, no crash protection, and really unreliable. and then a git to fix.

ok, they were fun for a thrash down a country lane, but in every respect, terrible.

bini on the other hand is a british car that is so reliable, they sell them in america, where you get sued if the washer bottle runs empty.....they are built to modern standards, and are way better than the old ones.

You whinging about no crash protection, yet you drive a nova? Not a lot of difference there lol

Not that unreliable, I know of several that have had no real issues apart from general wear and tear. Not that noisy either, but that is more of a perspective. Not really that harsh a ride, but that depends on the suspension set up. I've worked on a couple of originals and they were no worse to fix than the nova.

But seriously, the main point of my "rant" was how can BMW call it a mini? The point of the name was to go with the size of the car. I happen to love the old school mini, and yet I cannot for the life of me work out why this new one was called the mini when it is huge. Defeats the object of the name no?

mowgli
24-05-11, 04:12 PM
the bmw mini is genuinely a small car compared to what the other new cars are like, and it is built to modern & future crash standards...

the old mini was a major contributor to the horrible deaths of thousands of people.....

now old mini.... of course it was unreliable, it has an a series engine for a start...the smiths/lucas electrics are shocking to say the least... maybe you like the sound of a drop gear revving its taters off, but i don't, and if you don't think the ride is harsh.... 4 rubber lumps don't make for comfort...
and you must have very small hands if you can work on a mini & think it is ok.

bazil
24-05-11, 04:16 PM
My first car was a mini

Then I saw the light lol

ryansnova
24-05-11, 04:22 PM
My first car was a mini

Then I saw the light lol

and bought a rusty nova....

should have stuck to the mini lol lol

TeddyThom
24-05-11, 04:24 PM
My first car was a mini

Then I saw the light lol

Did you lose the roof? lol

the bmw mini is genuinely a small car compared to what the other new cars are like, and it is built to modern & future crash standards...

the old mini was a major contributor to the horrible deaths of thousands of people.....

now old mini.... of course it was unreliable, it has an a series engine for a start...the smiths/lucas electrics are shocking to say the least... maybe you like the sound of a drop gear revving its taters off, but i don't, and if you don't think the ride is harsh.... 4 rubber lumps don't make for comfort...

To be fair nothing is/was perfect. I'm a fat barsteward so not a lot os gonna be a rough ride lol

My hands are pretty big to be fair, and I can work work on them alright. I used to own one for a few months that needed some work doing to it...

bazil
24-05-11, 04:25 PM
Actually I had an Austin metro van inbetween the mini and my first nova lol

ben doodar
24-05-11, 04:27 PM

ive been a classic mini fan since i was 13, having owned and driven many minis. but ive got to agree with everything thats said here.

i remember when the bmw mini 1st came out i used to hate them along with every other classic mini fan. until i and had the chance to be a passenger in 1. my mrs has a 10 plate mini cooper and i love it its by no means fast but its a lovely car i know which id prefer!! The classic mini is no where near as good a car, the only thing the old mini has over the new 1 is charactor.

and for the op the sump was part of the classic mini engine as the gearbox is under the engine and share the same oil. on the new mini it will be a normal style sump.

bazil
24-05-11, 04:28 PM
Like new beetle V old beetle, actually I'd rather walk lol

ryansnova
24-05-11, 04:29 PM
Actually I had an Austin metro van inbetween the mini and my first nova lol

thats alot better then :roll: lol