PDA

View Full Version : Cambelt change x16xe

Danb1987
21-05-11, 06:41 PM
Just a quick one....

Isit absolutley necessary to change all rollers and the tensioner when changing the belt?

The cambelt kits are fapping expensive!!!!

peester
21-05-11, 06:43 PM
lol. Yep.
Also, if you want my advice - i say get SBD's steel roller and fixed adjuster kit whilst your at it..
Goodbye plastic, weak crap.
Hello strong reliable >7,000rpm

Danb1987
21-05-11, 07:00 PM
:thumb: how much is his kit? Or where could I find a price, will I just need to buy a belt in that case?

peester
21-05-11, 08:46 PM
Ill be honest, i need to do this one day soon myself. I neglected to look into it more at the time and went ahead and fitted a standard, but genuine GM at least, cambelt kit, with the not-so-great plastic rollers etc.
End of the day, if the engines are limited to 6,700 or whatever it is, why should manufacturers over engineer bits to cope with more eh?
Only mine is not, now - so ill need to get those uprated bits.

I actually think youll still need a complete cambelt kit, as well as the SBD stuff.
The SBD stuff will replace some of the GM parts. You prob need to prep the parts yourself first, then fit them.
What do you think?
http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Cranks/Cranks16L/Cranks_Seals_Drives_16L.htm

I will have to ring them anyway, when i get round to this - as ive a z18xe so just want to check it would all fit.
I think it will, as my vectra needed a cambelt kit; seem to remember that it mentioned it would suit 1.6's as well as the z18xe/x18xe1 in that..
I only gave £50 + postage for that you know, on ebay. Genuine GM again. Full kit. Even new bolts.

Danb1987
21-05-11, 08:58 PM
Eventually I will be going forced induction with mine so uprated parts will be a must!

Il only be going down the decom plate route thow, if I were to buy pistons etc I'd just go let tbh..

For now I just want to get the engine in the car ready for pvs, I think tomorow I'm going to fit the engine to see if I have clearance for the pulley etc.

Iv seem a cambelt kit on eBay for 49.50 from a guy who lives 5mins away from me trecchi Iirc!

He sells loads of Vaux bits gen and pat part so depending on the sbd kit I might just get that to make do atm lol lol

peester
21-05-11, 09:22 PM
cool, fair do's sounds good.

AlexW
21-05-11, 09:48 PM
Dont buy any other kit than a Powergrip kit, They make the GM kits, just without the GM logo.

mowgli
21-05-11, 09:53 PM
remember to get one of those top pulley locking thingummies,, and get a china pencil from a decent stationer, and mark the pulley positions on the backplate.
then timing is pretty much foolproof.

AlexW
21-05-11, 09:58 PM
No need to have a locking tool for the top pulleys, take the rocker cover off and use a spanner on the inlet cam, exhaust cam will sit at the correct placement for the timing mark.

Also impossible to mark anything on the backplate, It would be harder to do it like that anyway, You point the timing marks on the pulleys at each other.

mowgli
21-05-11, 10:02 PM
i have done the mark trick tons of times to make sure nothing has slipped, drawing a white wax pencil line pretty much anywhere near the pulley is very cheap insurance.

AlexW
21-05-11, 10:06 PM
What would you line the mark on the backplate up with though? And I normally slip the belt onto the cam pulley last

mowgli
21-05-11, 10:40 PM
you mark the pulley too.

NOVA saloon
22-05-11, 02:16 AM
Tip x ftw lol. Mine are standard and they love it 7200rpm

Dayle_
22-05-11, 11:35 AM
If you get a solid pulley. Get one from Martin Bowyer they are a fraction of the price of SBD I believe around £60 cheaper making it a £10er!