PDA

View Full Version : Return Fuel Line ?

tay
24-06-03, 06:55 PM
My GTE on twin 40's is running a Facet red top fuel pump with only one single fuel line taking fuel to the carbs - with the return fuel line blocked off. As its a high pressure injection fuel pump should there be a return line plumbed up for it to circulate round ? I've got a fuel pressure regulator in there but somehow suspect the fuel could be overwhelming the carbs and damaging the pump ?

Cheers

Tay

mikeoxford
24-06-03, 09:43 PM
u wont be damaging your pump

high pressure will nacker the floats in the carbs though

get the pressure regulator sorted to about 3.5 psi

Aragorn
25-06-03, 09:39 AM
um sorry but u can regulate the pressure without somewhere for it to go

the pump is knocking out 3 bar and the regulator is only letting thru 3.5psi

so where does the other 40odd psi go? into the pipework? no so your putting immense pressure on the regulator and pump

install a return valve - safest way

mikeoxford
25-06-03, 10:52 AM
if you install the pressure regulator AFTER the fuel return hose

then there wont be a problem.... too much fuel pumped and itll go down the return :)

Dicko
25-06-03, 12:05 PM
so yes u DO need a return :)

tay
13-07-03, 05:56 PM
I thought that might be a problem ! I suspect thats why im getting problems for example shite performance !!!

So the best way to do it would be what Mike said and plumb in the fuel return with the pressure reg AFTER that ?

Would've look at the replies earlier but I've just come back from a two week holiday in mexico so I think nows the time to get this thing sorted once and for all !

cheers

Ste_Nova
13-07-03, 06:11 PM
my 1.4 has no return...... when left for short times the fuel pressure that is left hanging round goes into the carb... and floods the car.. takes 10sec to start it and it stinks of fuel

match
14-07-03, 08:28 PM
my t40s dont have a return coming from them (not that i can see anyhow), so where do u take the return from

mowgli
14-07-03, 09:41 PM
I think you are getting mixed up people......

A nova gte fuel injection pump runs at high pressure for fuel injection, a facet red top is a pump to feed carbs, ie give them enough fuel to keep the float chambers full and let them do the rest. a return is probably a good idea, what sort of plumbing does a nova sport have???

mikeoxford
14-07-03, 11:07 PM
when ever i have seen a facet fuel pump - theyve always had a regulator fitted inline after them also

tay
15-07-03, 07:09 PM
I'm even more confused now than when we first started :? It wont do no damage if i do hook it up the will it ? at least i'll be able to see if it makes a difference !

PeteG
15-07-03, 11:33 PM
If you've got a FSE valve or similar-it'll have the vacumn pipe connection and the fuel in(normally on the end of the rail) and then the return underneath it. I thought even the carbbed novas had a return,as my old SR did, it was on the swirl pot before the carb.

mikeoxford
18-07-03, 12:20 AM
If you've got a FSE valve or similar-it'll have the vacumn pipe connection and the fuel in(normally on the end of the rail) and then the return underneath it. I thought even the carbbed novas had a return,as my old SR did, it was on the swirl pot before the carb.

AH! swirl pot!?

that what they were

wondered about them

i never had one on my 1.4 sr - i think it was took off when they fitted my 32 34 originally on the 1.4 block

i dont need one of them to run t40s do i?