PDA

View Full Version : Charge Coolers Talk To Me!

Count Vaux Alot
19-05-11, 11:37 AM
Charge coolers and charge cooling has anyone any experiences good or bad?

I have seen them in novas, what are people using?

Pro Alloys a name ive hurd of but i dont know much about them.

Thanks

Stuart
19-05-11, 11:47 AM
Used a lot in the VX/Elise world due to the uselessness of Air to Air coolers.

I believe the red Turbo that Breeny had, had a Water to Air cooler.

What do you want/need to know? (my sig link has some stuff about the subject)

skyinsurance
19-05-11, 12:29 PM
I'm getting a charge cooler system added to my Mk1 MR2 turbo this month hopefully. I'm using a Celica GT4 ST205 core, a marine pump and probably a fiat radiator. This should be good for 350-400BHP which is ample.

There is more to go wrong with a charge cooler system over a simple intercooler and more weight but in my car as it is mid-engined the system will suit it better and it's hard to find anywhere apart from the boot in my Mr2 to place an intercooler.

What specifically are you wanting to know?

Ollie

bazil
19-05-11, 12:31 PM
Think this setup is still there?

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135643

Count Vaux Alot
19-05-11, 06:48 PM
Basically I wanted to use an unmolested snow plough on my 1.6 xe turbo. As I'm sure you can appreciate the plough doesn't lend it's self to the use of a fmic given it's basically a flat piece of plastic with no holes in it placed right in front of everything.

So I was thinking about other options including The charge cooler and alternative intercooler locations if any one has any ideas let me know.

I was basically wondering whether the charge cooler is worth the extra effort and if they are efficient enough? Would a charge cooler actually help me? Given I would need another rad anyway?

Count Vaux Alot
19-05-11, 07:12 PM
Used a lot in the VX/Elise world due to the uselessness of Air to Air coolers.

I believe the red Turbo that Breeny had, had a Water to Air cooler.

What do you want/need to know? (my sig link has some stuff about the subject)

Some interesting reading there Stuart thanks

Will F
20-05-11, 08:42 AM
I have just fitted one to mine.

Its a Pace/Courtney one that they used to sell back in the day...

Its supposed to handle up to P2, but my charge temps are quite high (on P1)

Some use FMIC too - but others say that this makes the inlet tract too long...

I am in teh process of looking for a larger pre-rad, as this shouls make it more efficient

Lee H
20-05-11, 08:47 AM
I'm getting a charge cooler system added to my Mk1 MR2 turbo this month hopefully. I'm using a Celica GT4 ST205 core, a marine pump and probably a fiat radiator. This should be good for 350-400BHP which is ample.

Ollie

I have a similar setup on my mk1 MR2 but with a VAG pump. Charge temps seem to sit around 33 degrees on a run but rise quite badly when stationary as the chargecooler core is on top of the engine.

Mike
20-05-11, 08:48 AM
I spied this last night, but be quick as its a very nice price! (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Water-Methanol-Injection-Kit-Alloy-Tank-/330565804953?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cf741e399)

Will F
20-05-11, 04:48 PM
I spied this last night, but be quick as its a very nice price! (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Water-Methanol-Injection-Kit-Alloy-Tank-/330565804953?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cf741e399)

Not useful for a CC in a Nova tbh - there is no pre-rad or pipework, no heat exchanger and the header tank is HUGE! lol

Its more for spraying an I/C with water

The Simps
20-05-11, 08:49 PM
I've got a set up in the shed on the shelf somewhere. I think its an old courtenay setup.

The Simps
20-05-11, 09:24 PM
I also need to add that you need some more punctuation in your thread title or people might think you've lost it! Lol

Edd
21-05-11, 09:18 AM
If you have a 'plough, are you going to use the matching one piece grill and bumper ?

Why not just get a twin pass intercooler that sits quite high behind the grill ? It's what I'm doing with my 1300 turbo

Count Vaux Alot
21-05-11, 09:39 AM
I had considered that edd I was going to try raising the cooler position but I'm not sure it that will be ideal.